Sign in to follow this  
swiftkid

Whats on yer plate...

Right, just put my C through its first MOT as me as the owner, not suprisingly it failed first time with replacement brake lines, windscreen wipers, steering rack gator a bit poorly which i fixed.

This was late in september, so within the 10 days i take it back (today) and had it retested. My dad (who took the car in) then got a phone call half way through the day as he knows the people in the garage saying it had failed MOT...... because the previous owner had put a silly vw badge on the number plate.

Apparently on the 1st of ****in October some clever sod has decided a number plate can fail MOT so iv had to fork out 23quid because some tosser doesnt like the look of my number plate, if it had passed first time it would have been no problem.

Is it just me that thinks terrorism and all that isnt the reason society is falling apart???

Just get a legal set of plates made up and stick them on for the mots.

non standard plates are an instant fail.

...disappointed when i opened this thread as i thought i was going to be able to post 'pie and peas' :lol:

that plate has Corrado Club of Great Britain (thanks to it's former owner)... oh, and Hellfrauds unfortunately (also thanks to it's former owner) :?

Mine has an advert for Ipswich Audi on them as thats where I got them pressed up prior to going to Germany in 2006!

As you point out, won't this also apply to everyone driving around with the name of the garage they bought the car from on their number plate?

i remember that you have to have the postcode or some numbers referring to who made the plate, mine is just plain, standard font, nothing else

Hmm so are these laws new then?? I was thinking of getting some new (banded) plates for the GTI, as I saw another Mk2 with them on and they looked surprisingly good. Where's the best place to get 100% legit plates from?

Hmm so are these laws new then?? I was thinking of getting some new (banded) plates for the GTI, as I saw another Mk2 with them on and they looked surprisingly good. Where's the best place to get 100% legit plates from?

Number plate law does have a lot of controversary around it, some of which is due to ever changing legislation and the other is due to european standards vs uk ones.

IIRC in around 2003 the law was changed to make it harder to get number plates made up in an effort to reduce plate cloning etc. You had to prove you were the owner of the vehicle the plates are being made for (V5/ change of reg cert from DVLA) and the name and postcode of the establishment making the plates was suppost to be on there as well.

As for font, spacing and attachment the rules surrounding these have not changed since they switched to the black/yellow style plates we have now from the old black/silver pressed ones back in 1973. You are required to use the default font, the plates must be screwed on (Not stuck) and the letters must be spaced so that it reads as it does on the V5, not so you can spell something - the same applies when using number plate caps to cover the screws.

The real issue comes with things like German plates as these comply with EU standards which the British Standard is taken from, I believe Musicman was looking into this a couple of years ago but I dont recall there being a definite answer from DVLA on the subject.

To be honest I have to agree with the thing with the screw cap covers and people spelling things with them. As you are really changing what your registration is.

But then again its all for the benefit of the cameras anyway in the long run. :?

theres a set of numbers on the botom right of std plates, if your plate doesnt have them numbers than its a fail.... non std plates dont have these numbers