Sign in to follow this  
DanVW

Failed MOT

Bugger :-( just heard back from the garage it failed on:

Ball joint: (excessive play)

Emissions: (suspect cat)

Anyone know how easy it is to change the ball joint? Or is it one of those jobs I would be better

off paying the garage to do?

Also I thought as a 92 it is legal to remove and run without a cat? But any top tips for lowering the

emissions for the re MOT?

Nightmere Dan..

Easiest way ive heard or lowering Emissions is injector cleaner and rag the life out of it just before the test..

Also I thought as a 92 it is legal to remove and run without a cat? But any top tips for lowering the

emissions for the re MOT?

Only if pre August 92

Am fairly sure it is an August 92 car oh well all part of the joys of Corrado ownership eh :lol:

I have heard the injector cleaner and rag trick a few times but not sure how much that works

was wondering if I can just lean off the mixture for the test then put it back again after for

a guaranteed pass? :?

If you take the cat off, it'll fail by a larger margin sadly.

The mixture is set by the ecu too, so you can't change it.

:(

Not bad for a 15 year old car tbh - stuff wears out...

Ball joints are easy enough but make sure you mark it's location to keep the camber set up - VW say change the 3 bolts but I would buy the plate and the pinch nut and bolt - I had a 1 year old genuine VAG BJ fail on me because the top bolt was corroded and worn away...

Emmisions - If it's failed then it probably needs seting up and tuning, worth doing and you will probably get more MPG for it - could also be faulty BTS or Lambda etc or not enough voltage to the injector rail...

i've jsut done ball joints on mine, but had new wishbones too so i could fit them off the car, i renewed all the nuts & bolts also etc

they look quite simple to do on the car

could always find a dodgy MOT station, and get them to probe another cars exhaust.... :lol:

If you fancy a trip up to Bury St Edmunds I know loads of places you can take it too mate. :lol: They'll even eat the print out for you....

Thanks guys :-D as always overwhelmed at the amount of help available on here!

Have got the Ball joint, plate pinch nut and bolt ordered for pick up in the morning

will replace em in the morning, as for emmissions will be throwing a bottle of injection cleaner

in for my run down to Plymouth tonight and will check voltage on the injector rail (what should it be again?)

Oh yea it was running .6 where the max is .2 apparently that is quite far out :-(

called around a few places for CAT prices and as follows:

GSF £185 + VAT

VW £412 + VAT + Surcharge of £200 for disposal of the old CAT :lol: bless em eh

Next on the list is to have a word with Darren about trimming the mixture for the test

apparently its the way forward...

Any other top tips keep em coming :-)

Right just spoken to Darren and he suggest that changing the CO Pot setting to 1K (just for the MOT)

would get it through,am going to check tonight to see what value its currently set at as I did adjust it

last summer but cant remember what value I set it to :? it was either 220 ohms or 550!? If its 220

that would explain why it failed if not then setting it to 1000 Ohms will mean sailing through the MOT

But I assume would also be dangerously lean to drive on!! Just as a heads up to anyone thinking of

doing this too, if it works I suggest a G60 things to adjust before the MOT stickie is in order :lol:

Ive got a second hand cat thats supposedly off a corrado g60, ive brought it in good faith, but i dont know how good it is (its supposedly ok). If you'll pay for p+p I'll send it you for nowt to help you out

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the offer mate but :D hopefully it should be ok with the co adjustment.

Hi Pete,

I dont know what the readings where it only says failed on the MOT form :-( as I say though

Darren has advised leaning her right off with the co pot to ensure a pass :lol:

I did the ball joint on Sat so just need to get three new tyres and she should be ok for the retake on Tuesady :?

Thanks again everyone!

Dan

Ok just back from retest and it failed again on emmissions :-( apparently

the co pot tweak made no difference, so quick chat with Darren again and it

was suggested that I try testing the co pot so here are the results: (tested with engine hot, very hot!)

BTS = 191 Ohms

CO Pot (outer pins) = 1k (as set this morning from 550 Ohms)

CO Pot bottom pins (Brown wire to Blue White wire) = 1K

CO Pot top pins (Blue white wire to blue wire) = 2.2K

Now Darren did say one of these should match the BTS as they work as a pair so from

these readings I guess my CO Pot is fooked :? however the reading does change when

you blow on the senser so I guess that bits working??

Anyway the garage that did the MOT say they can supply and fit a new CAT and reMOT for £125

which is not too bad I guess add to that the fack the MOT runs out on Thursday and I fly out

to Sweden on Thursday I dont really have much choice.

Will have another quick word with Darren tomorrow but if someone in the know can confirm that

my CO Pot is screwed from the above readings I will get them to try a new one before the CAT :lol:

If you need to get a Cat replacement, Mike Stokes Motorsports here in Bournemouth supplied me with a VR6 sports cat, made to order in July.

Price including fitting - £235. An OEM catalyst currently retails at £480+VAT. Simple decision I'd say

Call the Moordown branch, ask for John, and tell him "John with the Corrado" recommended them to you.

HTH,

John