Sign in to follow this  
ValRado

cambelt.. fitted incorrectly?

I rushed a cambelt on the other day after loads of stuff going wrong! Now I may be paranoid but it doesnt seem like the car has quite as much power, could this be because of:

a)belt is a tooth out

b)I'm paranoid

c)one of the myriad of hoses was reconnected wrong

or

d)I'm paranoid, there is nothing wrong with it.

Would it still run ok with a tooth out? I was always under the impression that the engine would run like poo if that was the case!!

Thanks!

Paul

if it is a tooth or so out it will run but will be under powered.

I have first hand experience of this.

check your timing marks all align as they should while turning the engine over manually by hand.

Ok, so its possible then. It doesnt feel very underpowered but definetely not what it should be. Are there any timing marks I can get at that dont involve removing the bottom pulleys? The top one is quite easily accessible. Is there a mark on the flywheel?

Thanks!

Paul, oh its a 1.8 16valve btw :)

Well, tried searching for the timing marks on the flywheel, no joy there! So tried setting it one tooth either way, went backwards, the car ran but poorly, forewards, seemed to be contact between piston and valves so set it back to where it was. The power delivery just feels flat, no powerband to speak of. Could I have got the piping the wrong way round on the intake system? Anyone got a piccie of the timing mark on the flywheel??

Thanks

Paul

Well with a 16v you'd really notice if the timing was out, does it sound normal at idle?

as for timing marks (as you probably know) there is a mark on the cam cover and one on the cam sprocket, these need to line up. on the flywheel you'll have a dot on the stationary bit with a line somewhere on the fly (or the other way round).

What i'd do is to get the cam marks lined up by cranking the engine using a long bar and a good quality socket on the star shaped bolt on the crankshaft pulley, then have a look on the flywheel. remember that 2 rotations of the cam = 1 rotation of the flywheel so it is possible to be 180* out.

When the timing was out on my valver by a tooth it ran pretty smooth but was flat until reved hard. Oh, and it used shed loads of fuel too.

Hi Mate,

I couldnt find the timing mark on my flywheel either :-( so I did the timing for the bottom end

on the crank pully mark, it lines up with a mark on the cam cover and a notch in the intermediate shaft

(on the G60)

Hi Mate,

I couldnt find the timing mark on my flywheel either :-( so I did the timing for the bottom end

on the crank pully mark, it lines up with a mark on the cam cover and a notch in the intermediate shaft

(on the G60)

As far as i'm aware this doesn't help for a valver. the intermediate shaft just runs the oil pump so it doesn't need to be lined up with anything, therefore i believe that there isn't a mark on the crank pulley. get a mate to look onto the flywheel as you crank the engine round slowly....the mark is there somewhere!

yeah,shine a light down the inspection hole and you will see the marks in quite close proximity to each other.

one is the timing mark and one is the TDC mark.