Sign in to follow this  
Serial

Loud rattling from back of car (solved: loose brake shield)

My '93 VR6 has just developed a loud rattle from the back of the car. Everything feels right, steering, suspension, no extra exhaust noise. I've given the exhaust a good waggle and it doesn't impact anything.

The back exhaust box heat shield was loose, so I took that off, which cured some of the rattle, but its still really loud. Checked for more loose parts of the shield but they all seem pretty firmly attached. Took it to the local garage today and they said it might be the suspension... but I'm not convinced. There are no noises when I bounce the back of the car up and down on the springs.

The rattle occurs when going over small bumps or ridges (of which there are many in Manchester!), and it sounds like something quite light and tinny has come loose and is vibrating and hitting something hard. Seems to be coming from the RHS of the car (but that might just be because thats where I sit, in the driver's seat...)

Any and all suggestions welcome... as I said the car drives fine still but makes such a racket people stop and stare (for completely the wrong reasons!)

Thanks

Tom

manifold heatshield?

downpipe heatshield?

I had a really nasty rattle on my gti and all garages said it was coming from the back but it wasnt it was reverberating down the exhaust to the back...

just an idea!

rattles are sooo fecking annoying....

i had a noise like that on my first corrado took me a year to find it after changing everything at the rear and it ended up being the flexi barke pipe that sits in its metal bracket before the axel,the clip that holds it in had corroded away! ive never had one like that before :o

or it could be the rear shockers creaking or it could sound like rattling...

good luck with the hunt :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions guys... looks like I may be in for a few rattly old miles! I'll have a good rummage around at the weekend and see if I can cure it...

Cheers

T

On the drive to work this morning, had a really good listen to the rattle... it happens loudest when the RHS rear wheel goes over a bump/pothole/manhole cover etc... definitely coming from the back, and louder on the RHS than the LHS. Gave the suspension a good bounce when I arrived but no noise (just a quiet squeak), nothing like the rattle...

I hope the suspension isn't fooked.... :?

T

Could be, I'll test that at lunchtime... If I recall correctly, this morning it seemed to give a little rattle when changing from 1st into 2nd when moving off.

mine does this too, and have just replaced all suspension so not that, i did find rear seats wobble about a bit

but something else seems loose too, tbh i'm sick of mycorrado now :(

They're old cars, what do you expect? The newest (mine!) is over 11 years old.. And given the state of british local roads it's no surprise that the entire interior rattles like an earthquake in a cemetery.

brake disc backing plate/shield come loose or been damaged/corroded?

Thats it! It's totally loose on the RHS, rear wheel... Thanks for the suggestion! Now to work out how to remove it easily until I can get a replacement...

Cheers!

Tom

:)

id just cut it off with tinsnips/dremel/hacksaw

not sure how the new one goes on but looked like you might have to remove the stub axle? Think its held on with teh same bolts. those bolts looked like they would be a bitch when i did my rear wheel bearings a little while ago :(

Took it to the local garage at lunchtime, they cut the bugger off for me (for free!) and the rattle has stopped... :)