Sign in to follow this  
faz

What fuel for the VR

Normal or Super unleaded ?

Is it necessary to run the 98 ron stuff ?

Previous owner used 95 or 98...

So far I've been using the normal 95 RON stuff.....

Advantages/disadvantages etc....

Thanks in advance

Hi Faz,

The best option is to go for the super pref V-Power, but at over a pound a litre it'll work out pricey. You can run 95ron fuel, but does reduce the performance.

if it just reduces performance then I don't mind to be honest as I won't be driving it hard..

In my old MK2 16v I used to rotate between 95 & 98 ron....

Would that be a good idea in this machine ?

V- power alll the way but is 1.06 near us worth it though was a bit sluggish when i first bought it last year now its been running on it for a year runs like a dream!

if it just reduces performance then I don't mind to be honest as I won't be driving it hard..

In my old MK2 16v I used to rotate between 95 & 98 ron....

Would that be a good idea in this machine ?

I found BP 95 worked a treat in mine. More low end than v power although not quite as much zing over 3500rpm. Ive just tried some bp 95 in my golf 4 motion and it appears to be loving it, so is my wallet at £1 pl rather than £1.06 plus for V power!

Never found Shell 95 any good at all in any car that Ive tried it in

Col

Yeah BP 95 or Ultimate is definitely better for midrange torque than Shell V power.....but at £1.08p for ultimate where I live, I stick to V power as it's cheaper, smoother and slightly more powerful at the top end.

As for 95 reducing power, that will only happen if the ECU detects detonation and pulls the ignition advance back. The chance of detonation is reduced with 98 and 99 RON, which is why VW 'recommend' it's use. But just because it says 98 on the petrol flap, don't take that to mean that is the ONLY fuel you can use because in smaller writing underneath, it says 95 unleaded aswell.

If you have recently had a head gasket change to the thinner Sharan one, I would use 98 RON exclusively as that gasket increases compression half a point.

Does anyone out there use 99 RON?

I thought Tesco was the only 99 Ron fuel? their Rally stuff??

V-Power says 98?

(although I could be..... and most probably am Wrong!!)

heh went to shell to fill up, V Power was 107.9p :shock: Filled up on normal which was 101p

TUNBRIDGE WELLS VPOWER 109.7 TODAY :shock:

:shock: Getting out of hand!

heh went to shell to fill up, V Power was 107.9p :shock: Filled up on normal which was 101p

TUNBRIDGE WELLS VPOWER 109.7 TODAY :shock:

:shock: Getting ridiculous![/quote:11xj81br]

That's Tunbridge Wells for you! When we had all the high petrol prices last year it was a station just outside town which actually got on the national news for the highest prices in the country. Their diesel there the other day was 109.9!

That's Tunbridge Wells for you! When we had all the high petrol prices last year it was a station just outside town which actually got on the national news for the highest prices in the country. Their diesel there the other day was 109.9!

tell me about it mate i live in East Grinstead and work in Twells ! its mad :( what rado do you drive ? i might of seen you flying about if you live in Twells ! :)

I can see diesel 5th gear swaps becoming the order of the day if fuel prices continue like this.

I'd rather burn more fuel and have meaningful acceleration thanks :lol:

With your car I feel a 5th gear swap would be a case of "pi**ing in the wind" :lol:

I hate to think what top speed a VR6 T would have with a diesel 5th......assuming the car doesn't fall to peices from 150mph onwards :lol:

I reckon the huge drop in revs from stock 4th to diesel 5th would be quite frustrating! What you need ideally is a diesel 5th as a 6th ;-)