Sign in to follow this  
awigman

More Starting issues - Spark plugs?

Hopefully a quick question for you all,

My car (1.8 16v) is having problems starting in the cold/wet. when i turn the key, the fuel pump kicks in, but it takes a few attempts for the engine to turn over, (just silence when i turn the key) The battery is fully charged, Im thinking it could be the coil pack, but i just wanted to check other peoples opinions before i went out and spent £50 on a new pack.

Thanks

Hiya..

Well the 1.8 16v engine (which your Corrado has) doesn't have a coil pack. If you're saying you turn the key and nothing happens at all, then i'm inclined to suggest that it might be the classic ignition switch problem.

If you do turn the key and get the car trying to start but just not wanting to, then it can be any number of problems. Does the car run ok once started or is it lumpy and misfiring?

Cheers Jim

Good job i didnt go out and buy a coil pack! Once it starts its ok ist not misfiring, its just getting it to start. Its only ever when the car is cold which is why i didnt think it would be the ignition switch,

Im going to be parking it up in the garage and sorning it soon :( , which is why i wanted to get this sorted before.

Have you cleaned the dizzy cap/spark plugs? After mine had sat for a while under the elements it had got some damp in it and wouldn't play ball. WD40 is good after you have cleaned them as it has water repelling stuff in it. (sorry for the duff explanation but it was a hard day at work!)

Or maybe your cold start injector is not working (if the C has one of these?)

Hi All

I have yet another problem starting my 1.8 16v.

When i turn the key the fuel pump kicks in and it turns over but just dosn't start up.

Is it likley to be something simple like the plugs or something more sinister?

Sorry to add another post but iv done a search and cant find anything.

thanks!

I havnt changed the switch yet. I thought as it was turning over the switch wouldnt be the problem

Am i wrong?

Yes they are, priced at £12 as far as i can remember. BUT, i found out after id bought and fitted mine to go for a genuine VW one as they are better quality, not sure how much they are. The GSF ones have a rep for breaking rather quickly - though mine has lasted since May.

Definately get a VW one mate. GSF ignition switches aren't that good!

Currently £19.01 including VAT - Part number 6N0 905 865

Might seem a bit dear for a switch but as I'm sure you're very well aware this is a part that will immobilise your car when it fails, so it's best to go for reputable quality over price.

Iv just fitted a new ignition switch and the car is still just tuning over. It wont fire up. Could it be the leads or plugs?

I wouldn't have thought all four plugs / leads would be to blame. If one had failed (which would be more likely) the car would probably start but run like crap.

I wonder if you're even getting fuel? Does the K-Jet system just have a single pump or does it have a lift pump also?

Does the bay stink of fuel after a good few attempts at starting it up?

excuse my lack of car knowledge... whats the k-jet? im sure its getting fuel it does smell abit when i give it a few attempts

I really need some help here, any other suggestions with what could be up with it, just to recap - it turns over but just dosnt kick in! I used to have a 96 plate polo, which had the same problem but a new coil pack fixed the problem, what does the corrado have to replace a coil pack, Sorry i have a crap engine knowledge!

Valvers use a coil and distributor for the spark (the bit where all the leads plug in).

To test for spark remove the lead from the spark plug, remove the spark plug, plug it onto the lead again and hold it close to inlet manifold (depending on how much you trust you leads you may wish to wear insulated gloves) and get someone to crank the ignition.....You should get an arc of electricity onto the mani.

If you do this means you have a spark! obviously.

When you remove the plugs are they wet with fuel? if so this means that fuels going in, just not being ignited......

Give it a bash and report your findings.

hello

Has anyone had problems removing spark plugs? I cant get a socket to fit over them seems to narrow its on a 2.0 vavler

Try cleaning up all the earth connections in the engine bay until they're all nice and clean and shiny. I had the same non-start problem on a MkII valver and it turned out to be just that.

If the earths are dirty there'll be a voltage drop because of the increased resistance and not enough juice getting to the plugs to give a powerful spark. It's an inexpensive operation well worth performing before investing in replacement parts.

hello

Has anyone had problems removing spark plugs? I cant get a socket to fit over them seems to narrow its on a 2.0 vavler

The cheapest of Halfords spark plug tools fits nicely down into the head to get the sparkplugs out!

Clicky!

Cant remember for definite if that's the correct size, but they can tell you in the shop.