Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

Hmmmm... I appear to be down to my last

Oh dear, first month in my new house and I've run out of money already. Don't get paid again until 28th. Haven't bought any crimbo presents yet, nor have I spent any money on myself. It's all gone on bills, rent , and fuel..... Mostly fuel. I'm in a bad place right now. :( I feel bad because the car needs work and I don't have the money to do it and it should go to someone who does, but at the same time I just can't imagine life without it. I can't believe I feel like this about a car! I should take up Buddhism or something.

Don't sweat it dude - this is why we have credit! :D

I know kind of what you mean though - I should sell my Golf to help pay for the G60 but I can't bear to part with it. It's safely parked in my garage round the back of my house so it's not getting rained on or anything, but I spent SO much time and money getting that car right I can't let it go!

At the end of the day it's only a car though dude. Our cars are our hobby, so they cost us money, so sacrifices have to be made. Beans on toast for the next couple of weeks eh!

I was in the same situation 18 months ago but somebody told me when i was thinking of sellin up, it only takes the 1st 12-18 months to get on your feet, 18 months in and im still broke as much as you :( lol, but i do still have my car :D and its honestly going no where.

Don't sweat it dude - this is why we have credit! :D

I know kind of what you mean though - I should sell my Golf to help pay for the G60 but I can't bear to part with it. It's safely parked in my garage round the back of my house so it's not getting rained on or anything, but I spent SO much time and money getting that car right I can't let it go!

At the end of the day it's only a car though dude. Our cars are our hobby, so they cost us money, so sacrifices have to be made. Beans on toast for the next couple of weeks eh!

Don't man, I'm not going anywhere near any credit cards. :lol: Beans, cornflakes, and those baguette things you bake yourself from tescos. :D Not all at once mind.

The other thing is if I was to sell it I wouldn't get all that much for it. I love it to pieces but anyone else would just see it as a base for a project if I'm brutally honest. Which adds to my reluctant feeling. But then I'd save on fuel costs and could probably get something a little more modern. But I'd hate it. I've said it before but there is nothing for the money that I would rather have.

I was in the same situation 18 months ago but somebody told me when i was thinking of sellin up, it only takes the 1st 12-18 months to get on your feet, 18 months in and im still broke as much as you :( lol, but i do still have my car :D and its honestly going no where.

I'm lucky I have my girlfriend around. I don't think it's because she likes the car or anything but whenever I entertain the notion of selling she does everything in her power to try and stop me. I think it's because she couldn't handle me on the mope. :lol:

Also, remember that ALL cars cost money to keep on the road, even newer ones. You might get rid of the C, get a diesel Golf or something and it could still end up costing you a fortune in niggling problems. At least you know the Corrado and you know what it's current problems are. New cars are an unknown quantity. I DO NOT TRUST THEM.

I'm lucky I have my girlfriend around. I don't think it's because she likes the car or anything but whenever I entertain the notion of selling she does everything in her power to try and stop me. I think it's because she couldn't handle me on the mope. :lol:

Same as me then, she knows how much i want to keep it, she originally hated it but 2 years on and she would have 1 herself.

Whenever we go out she always says lets go in yours :lol: instead of her 55 plate Polo.

End of the day i now have very little spare cash but i pay all my bills on time and have alot to show for the money all spent, i'm at the bottom so the only way is up.

This is the thing. I know my car has a water leak. I know the spoiler sometimes doesn't go up. I know it needs myriad bits replacing but it's still the best car I've ever owned. My girlfriend has offered to help with some of the costs but there's no way I'm going to let her. She doesn't really like me having it to be honest, she'd rather I did go for something more "sensible" for the time being at least, and I'd feel a right selfish b*stard if I took her money.

I hear what you're saying, any car can end up costing the earth. And I ain't ever getting another diesel. I don't care how many turbos and intercoolers are bolted on to it, it just isn't the same. I had planned to be in a better job by now but it hasn't happened. Just have to see how it goes over Christmas I guess. My girlfriend owns an 02 plate Celica that she never uses because she works here in Stow and cycles to her job. So I'd have use of that if the rado went so really I wouldn't even have to replace it. We could easily get away with one car between us for a while.

I'm jealous, I dream of the day when my girlfriend says "let's take the Corrado".... :lol: I saw your car at E38 junkie, it is well nice. I was gonna say hi but there was some guy asking you loads of questions. Well, I think it was you anyway. :D

I know your pain mate. I'm often sat on my overdraft limit at the moment. Worst thing is I've just started a new job which pays almost double what I got while temping, but I'll be completely without cash for the rest of this month and december as it pays monthly.

The secret is to find a way to get some cash rolling in, £20 here, £30 there. I went beating today (not to everyones tastes) and have £20 in my pocket, ill be selling a coupel of parts tonight for cash, then got a bar at a 18th birthday party to run in at the start of December. Whatever I make off these will be what I live off for the next 6 weeks basically.

Hmmm.... I have all but run out of things I can sell on Ebay. Got a couple of things on there at the moment though so I have some money until I get paid. Maybe I should start making those T Shirts I've always wanted to do....

Anything that's no longer getting used eh? My girlfriends Celica! :lol:

I saw your car at E38 junkie, it is well nice. I was gonna say hi but there was some guy asking you loads of questions. Well, I think it was you anyway. :D

Well thanks for the compliment but you must have mistaken it for somebody else's as if you looked right you would have seen it's not actually that nice.

To clear up any confusion i am the going bald 1 talking to VR6south and my car is the green corrado (obviously) with the bonnet up, that pic is from the saturday.

edition38007.jpg[/attachment:2d59vh24]

:offtopic1:

The secret is to find a way to get some cash rolling in, £20 here, £30 there. I went beating today (not to everyones tastes)

whats beating mate ?

you collecting money for loan sharks?

I'm also in a bad spot financially. I've thought of selling my Porsche because the corrado would be much more practical as I can drive it year round without problem, even though it hasn't been reliable. Currently I'm paying insurance, I'm paying for my school (room, tuition, etc), gas, food, all that jazz. So if I sold the Porsche it would help me for another semester, or I could use it to fix the Corrado.

But like you guys, there's the woman who loves it too much to buy it herself but won't let me get rid of it :lol:

The secret is to find a way to get some cash rolling in, £20 here, £30 there. I went beating today (not to everyones tastes)

whats beating mate ?

Nah, nothing that fun. Basically, on pheasant and partridge shoots I'm one of the ferrets who move the birds around and get them to fly over the guns. Only really do it to help friends out, as I can't stand the maority of people found on either side of the gun hedge at most shoots. Get £20 - 25 per day, sometimes free food and drink, all the game I want, and It's pretty good exercise fighting through brambles in the rain. At the end of the year they give the beaters a days shooting, which has given me the opportunity to have a go at some of Britains top partridge shooting without the cost (£25ish/bird).

A lot of people will not approve of this, and will probably get certain opinions of my character because I'm involved in field sports, therefore I don't tend to mention it a great deal.

Oh dear, first month in my new house and I've run out of money already. Don't get paid again until 28th. Haven't bought any crimbo presents yet, nor have I spent any money on myself. It's all gone on bills, rent , and fuel..... Mostly fuel. I'm in a bad place right now. :( I feel bad because the car needs work and I don't have the money to do it and it should go to someone who does, but at the same time I just can't imagine life without it. I can't believe I feel like this about a car! I should take up Buddhism or something.

don't feel bad.Just leave it till you have the money.

We all have bad months/years :)

whats beating mate ?

Nah, nothing that fun. Basically, on pheasant and partridge shoots I'm one of the ferrets who move the birds around and get them to fly over the guns. Only really do it to help friends out, as I can't stand the maority of people found on either side of the gun hedge at most shoots. Get £20 - 25 per day, sometimes free food and drink, all the game I want, and It's pretty good exercise fighting through brambles in the rain. At the end of the year they give the beaters a days shooting, which has given me the opportunity to have a go at some of Britains top partridge shooting without the cost (£25ish/bird).

A lot of people will not approve of this, and will probably get certain opinions of my character because I'm involved in field sports, therefore I don't tend to mention it a great deal.

its an honest buck mate.

better than mugging old ladys.

Good luck 2 u.

I saw your car at E38 junkie, it is well nice. I was gonna say hi but there was some guy asking you loads of questions. Well, I think it was you anyway. :D

Well thanks for the compliment but you must have mistaken it for somebody else's as if you looked right you would have seen it's not actually that nice.

To clear up any confusion i am the going bald 1 talking to VR6south and my car is the green corrado (obviously) with the bonnet up, that pic is from the saturday.

edition38007.jpg[/attachment:3jdwmu0h]

Well most decent people are modest when it comes to their own cars. I thought it was nice mate. I appreciate any car that is enjoyed and cared for by it's owner. It doesn't have to be immaculate. That's not what cars are about for me. It's about the fun you get from driving them. And you obviously enjoy driving yours. It was you, I was only there for the Saturday as was leaving for Italy at 3 that Monday morning.

don't feel bad.Just leave it till you have the money.

We all have bad months/years :)

True, I just think it's best to clear my debts (got a couple of credit cards I could pay off) and maybe get another in a year or two. Just spoken to my girlfriend and she did what I thought she would. She started offering to help me out with it. I just don't know. I could save a lot of money just in six months I reckon. Come back with something awesome, especially if I get the job situation sorted out in the mean time.

whats beating mate ?

If I lived nearer to you mate I'd be out there helping you. I need the petrol money....

May I take this oportunity to remind you chaps that there are only three sports: Hunting, shooting and fishing. All the others are merely games! :lol:

tbh mate, if they pay you and you don't mind the work then go for it.

As for spare cash, I'm unfortunately in the same position as the rest of you. I earn enough, but our mortgage is HUGE! and with the recent base rate increases our monthly payments seem to just be going up and up.. :(

Sorry to hear of your plight with lack of finances, like it was said before we all go through it at one time or another.

I am really very good at stretching money as far as it will possible go, so if i may make a few suggestions.

First - Income -

You already mentioned beating. I know Farmers are quite often willing to pay for Shooting of rabbits and foxes- so maybe worth contacting a few.

Then there are Saturday jobs, worth contacting the Temp Agencies and local papers for this.

Supermarkets may not pay brillantly but combined with the staff discount may be worth a try.

Pubs - better pay and very social at the same time.

Guess my main advise here actually would be to try and not let pride get in the way.

What about offering to clean people's cars in your street? A student friend of mine did this - not asking a specific price but letting the owners decide what to give. He often got £10 - £15 per car. 4 - 6 cars a day = good money.

Can you rent out a room? I have done this for years, it's easy money.( My current lodger is paying for my Track Days !! - A means to an end)

Second - Expenditure -

Ideally set yourself a budget - this may sound daunting but will let you know exactly where you stand.

Even if you don't set a budget - pay your rent, council tax heating bills, water etc etc first.

Then food, buy enough for the month when you get paid, make use of the 2 for 1 buys, but don't get caught into buying things you don't need. I would however buy one treat a month which will make you feel better - just a pack of biscuits can do it. Always shop for food when you are not hungary its massively cheaper !!

If you don't have a freezer, buy a Second Hand one from the first week of Extra pay, you should get one for £20- £30.

As you don't have the money to go out socially - if you are not a natural cook - learn - borrow a cook book or two, preferably Jamie Oliver - he has a nice rough and ready attitude to cooking. Everytime you cook, cook enough for 4, and freeze 3 of the meals. This saves you cooking every night - but also saves on the heating bills and you have convienance meals of your own.

Lunches - when bought daily are a huge waste of money. Get into a habit of making your own. Sandwiches, Salads, Soups. i always make mine the night before when cooking dinner, that way it is not such a chore and besides I would never do it if I left it till morning !

Supermarkets - In order of cheapness - Aldi, Morrisons, Asda. I would try to avoid Tesco and Sainsburys.

Markets are worth visiting at the end of the day when they need to sell everything off and do so very cheaply - a good way to get your fresh fruit and vegetables.

Petrol - most local papers these days advertise the cheapest fuel in the local area - take advantage of it.

Clothes/Shoes - TK Maxx, Tesco's, Asda, otherwise any other store at Sale time only.

Social stuff - again there is loads to do that costs nothing - walks, bike rides, musuems, volunteering - there is masses of scope here and you would be re-imbursed your out of pocket expenses. There will be loads in your local area just Goggle for more info - there are things in most areas of anyone's interest.

Car - as your girlfriend does not use her car. Could you pool your resources on this - ~Lay yours up - just for a few months, claim back the tax - (if you can get it off the road), reduce your insurance premium and pay your girlfriend for an additional driver on hers and go halves on the running repairs?

Alternatively, could you get a lift to work - would cut fuel bills.

Years ago, on a very low income, even sub letting a room in my flat, I managed to get a small but very useful hand out from the Low Income /Benefits agency - I don't know what organisation they call themselves these days, but worth a try.

I would also, still try to put lose change of copper and 5p and 10p's into a pot.

This way when really really skint there will be a little savour to buy that pint of milk, buy £5 of fuel or a small treat.

Finally, with phones, electric etc - are you on the best tariff.

That's all - and that was the brief version !!

Hopefully it was not too daunting and just inspired you further.

Think it shows, I definetly have had my broke moments and for any of those who know of my misfortune being in a bad car accident 4 plus years ago - my resourcefulness of stretching money was what meant I kept my house and sanity.

Just remembered Your Christmas presents - and not having bought any.

Can you make stuff - like carpentry your thing ?

Dig around Skips for useful materials etc etc

Good Luck

Wendy

A lot of very useful advice there, i think i will be taking some of it.

I'm already in the process of taking the car off the road, re-organising my finances to be able to set a more realistic budget and stick to it more easily.

Like i say i have been like this for 12-18 months and wish i had done something sooner instead of trying to forget about it (denial).

Thanks Wendy. That's brilliant! And without doubt the longest post I've ever seen! :D

Some food for thought in there definitely. I'm already making packed lunch every day. Cheap out of date bread that goes in the freezer and own brand ham. Buying lunch at work was ridiculous.

Everyone is getting home made T Shirts for Christmas. I love bespoke clothing and it's something I've always done for people when short of money.

With the Rado I do have a big two car driveway at my house so keeping in SORN is no problem. The thing is with the insurance company I'm with at the moment you can only lay up cover if it's in a locked garage and I don't have access to one of those. And trying to hire one around here is virtually impossible. The waiting list is endless. I could get really cheap insurance with the company I work for except for one small problem, the vehicle terms they impose are silly and they would not insure anyone under the age of 30 on my G60. Whether they're staff of not. B*stards!

I do want to sort this out now in my first month rather than run myself into the ground and possibly take my girlfriend with me. It is just a car after all and I could get another when things get better. The jobs I'm looking at all have company cars as well so when I finally get to where I want to be I could have a Rado as something for the weekend and not worry about the costs of having it as a daily.

I think I'm coming to a decision. :(

Cracking advice Wendy! :)

I've been out of work for 7 weeks which has proved a financial challenge - especialy with mortgage, bills etc oh and I'm supposed to be saving for my wedding / honemoon next year!

The folks have helped me out a bit to keep my head above water and I had to swallow my pride and get a bar job - which I must admit I really enjoyed last night and made good money on the tips!

Things are gonna be tight around here for a while yet but there's light at the end of the tunneI - have excepted a good job offer and will be starting 3rd December :D

Things are gonna be tight around here for a while yet but there's light at the end of the tunneI - have excepted a good job offer and will be starting 3rd December :D

Nice one mate! :D I'm happy for you. 7 weeks is a long time to be out of work. Especially if you have a mortgage. But at least you've found something now. I guess I need to put it all into perspective. There are worse things that can happen to a person other than having to sell their corrado after all.

Saying that - the irony of getting the new job is that they're insisting I take a company car which will mean having to sell the Leon :(

I'm sure I did something real bad in my last life :lol:

Saying that - the irony of getting the new job is that they're insisting I take a company car which will mean having to sell the Leon :(

I'm sure I did something real bad in my last life :lol:

Bummer, well I know a little of what you must be feeling. I'm guessing the car their gonna give you doesn't quite match the LCR in terms of all round greatness?

Very much doubt it - the leon is the most exciting car I've had the pleasure of driving regularly and I know I'm going to miss it massively... have already run through all the 'maybe I could afford to keep it' options and there just isn't one!

New company have offered to pay the difference between what it sells for and the outstanding finance though so that helps a great deal! They've insisted replacement has to be an estate so I'm planning to push for a Passat Sport tdi 170 in black - could always moonlight as a hearse in my spare time with it then :lol: )