Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

How safe do you feel in your Corrado?

I've had comments from people about my "old car" not having any airbags etc. I've always felt the Corrado was a tough sturdy car - what do you guys think?

Do you feel safe in your Corrado - even at Mach3?

I feel perfectly fine in mine, seen some smashed up from pretty bad crashes and they look pretty solid.

Wonder how they would do on the euro NCAP rating if they did it now?

i agree with you an feel its a tough sturdy car even at speed more so than newer cars ive owned

i know that some small bumps can get them written off but from what ive seen when in a pretty big smash they seem to hold up very well

Yeah I've seen some pictures of big accidents and they always take it well - especially in the cockpit - drivers footwell and pedals.

when i crashed my first one, 3 years ago, (hit a kerb dodging a taxi, at about 40mph taking out the front wheels and flinging the shocks about 20 yards up the road) the firemen said if it was any other car i would have lost my legs, or worse) car was a mess but i was completly fine. although i did cut my ankle trying to remove it from between the gas peddle and what used to be the drivers footwell. bit scary as if the floor came up any more it would have crushed my ankle for sure!

probably one of THE safest cars built around that time.

Feels like plastic and tin foil

LOL... so true!!! Rad feels good and strong to me!! Worst feeling I ever got was driving my old Renault 5 Van!!!! Hit anything and you just knew it was going to crumple to the size of a matchbox!! :shock:

I hit a concrete bollard and the concrete never moved. My head hit the steering wheel, giving me a bloody nose and two black eyes a few days later and I was only doing about 10 mph!!!! motoring is very dangerous, its a shame you can't fit an air bag on a rado.

probably one of THE safest cars built around that time.

Funny how you say that as thats 1 reason why it was pulled from production as well that it would cost too much to meet the safety regs that came in.

A Corrado would be a death trap by NCAP standards, seriously. It might be made of heavy stuff, but it's all in the wrong places.

The biggest problems are in the interior. The headrests are utterly shite, you WILL have whiplash, the seatbelts are just about functional, as for side-impact protection .. you'd better hope you were in the back when it happens and the wheel takes it.

Do not be under any illusions.

Drive like your life depends on NOT being in an accident, because in reality it does..!

Yeah my dad tutted and rolled his eyes at the lack of airbags.

TBH, although I can tell the C is made from good quality steel, I wouldn't want to crash it (well, I wouldn't want to crash any car but you know what I mean)... as for feeling safe, the fact I'm so low down makes me very aware I'd come off badly against an SUV. That said, we don't need excuses to drive safely do we? I just assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and avoid them as much as possible! :D

This is what i did to my Clio when some dizzy woman in a volvo decided it might be a good idea to turn out infront of my whilst i was doing 55mph :?, i was completely uninjured and i didnt have my seatbelt on (Shhh) i couldnt be arsed to put the harnesses on :?

crash7.jpg

crash6.jpg

crash5.jpg

crash3.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash1.jpg

So in comparison i feel about as safe in this as i did in my last car which was my Bravo, that felt solid as hell and this just feels like it would put up well

I have to agree with Dr Mat on this one.

The biggest problem with the C is that it's perhaps too stong and doesn't have the modern design of load spreading crumple zones, no door bars, seatbelt pre-tensioners, curtain bags etc etc. You'd almost certainly have a neck injury and probably head due to lack of airbags.

Having said all of that, for it's age, very good. Would rather be in anything VAG if I was going to be in a shunt.

And I shouldn't need to say it, but I'm going to. Not wearing your seatbelt is the quickest way to be worse off in an accident, put it on, it will save your life.

crash.jpg

Not a very good pic, but this is the Corrado that saved my life back in 2004.

Hit a taxi head on at 60mph - tax was turning right, across our lane, facing us, doing about 20mph.

I was in the passenger seat and took the brunt of it as the driver was trying to steer round the car, the angle of the car meant the passenger side hit first.

Although I ended up with a broken collar bone, that peirced and punctured my lung, internal bleeding, and crunched up foot (gearbox came through the footwell) I was alive!!

Any other car and I'd be a dead person :o

So yer, if I crash in me rado... I do feel safe in the knowledge that it can take a good old shunt!

My comment on this is that whilst it's not probably as "survivable" as a brand new car it was/is a pretty damned safe place to be compared to the majority of cars built around the same period. More sturdy than the MkII in a shunt, and definately preferable to similar Fords, Vauxhalls and French cars from the same era.

For my part I survived an accident which involved an oncoming truck bouncing off the drivers side of my last Corrado with a combined speed of well over 100mph. The car was trashed, but I walked away without so much as a bruise.

Do not kid yourselves.

Dr_ mat is on the right lines IMO.

And NEVER fail to wear your seatbelt.

A young man in a case I was involved with is a shadow of his former self physically and mentally. He was in the passenger seat in a works van that failed to take a bend on black ice and crashed head on into a Granada (yes they were still about a handful of years ago).

He was not wearing a seat belt and was flung through the windscreen onto the road after firstly damaging himself on the windscreen frame. The driver was uninjured. Seems to be some kind of dumb macho thing in works vans, to chase each other and overtake down icy rural roads and not wear seatbelts. We've all seen them.

But wait for this - - He took the driver, his employers and the local council (gritters) to court for the damage he suffered!

i kno i was in the wrong, i was a\ van driver, dunno what it is. maybe the irritating thing of getting in and out in the space of 10 mins that makes ya do it, but as a van driver i very rarely, wore my seatbelt. i kno it is and was the wrong thing to do but i just didnt do it. why i dont kno, i dont do that job anymore and subsequently i have started to buckle up everywhere i go, weird how you can pick up and loose habits like that. i will say i was lucky that i wasnt seriously injured, infact i was hardly injured at all in that accident, but if i had had my seatbelt on they said it COULD of caused me more damage. the force of the harnesses pulling back on my shoulders could of caused broken collar bone and serious whiplash. still shudda had it on tho!

I personally don't like air bags, admittidly I am one of the few on here who they would do more harm than good - being quite small they are more likley to suffocate me than save me. I dread the day when the car I own has them automatically fitted. I wish they had a feature to be able to turn them off.

Seat belts - well - having a Step Father who was rather large - who had he been wearing one in an accident where the car rolled, it would have killed him - means I don't feel these are right for everyone either. However, his injuries, disabled from the neck down, he actually always stated when he was alive - that he would have rather died. He lived for about 13 years after. Also, the injuries that seat belts do cause are quite horrific, having something strapped across your body is throwing out your body, neck and spine in an accident situation. Some people wearing seat belts after an accident never get over their spinal injuries - ask a physio their opinion on this. Although it might not do much for your clothing especially girls in skirts - a full harness is the only safety belt to have - in my opinion.

Guess its like everything in life - we have to consider the majority - hence I am turfed out of all public places to smoke - dammed Nanny state !!

I feel as safe in my Corrado as I think you can.

I would feel safer still, if the standards for passing the driving test were a set standard - but with the amount of appalling driving out there - they can't be. Bring on re tests every 10 years.

Oh and Ban all women from driving 4x4's and Volovo's - they think they have the complete rights of all the road - irrelevant of other drivers.

Obvioulsy needed to get that little lot off my chest !! :)

crash.jpg

Not a very good pic, but this is the Corrado that saved my life back in 2004.

Hit a taxi head on at 60mph - tax was turning right, across our lane, facing us, doing about 20mph.

I was in the passenger seat and took the brunt of it as the driver was trying to steer round the car, the angle of the car meant the passenger side hit first.

Although I ended up with a broken collar bone, that peirced and punctured my lung, internal bleeding, and crunched up foot (gearbox came through the footwell) I was alive!!

Any other car and I'd be a dead person :o

So yer, if I crash in me rado... I do feel safe in the knowledge that it can take a good old shunt!

in a moden car the gearbox will not break the fire wall !! and the pedal box in new cars breaks away to protect your feet and legs. if you were in another car of that year then yes you would be worse off !!! thats for sure...

but cars are alot more safer now compeared to a corrado !

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0XPbydQPIo

Just on the door bars note!

I have a spare door that came with the rado I bought form Bcstudent, and it's fitted with a side impact bar!

I don't think they were an option, but the mounting holes are there to bolt one into the door of my red valver.

From Corrado brochure 1993 - "Corrado is engineered to meet some of the toughest safety standards in the world. Front and rear crumple zones, side impact protection in the doors, telescopic safety steering column, padded steering wheel and dashboard, head restraints and adjustable front seat belts help to protect the occupants of a Corrado"