Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

Fitting all red rear lights

you would need green lights IIRC

think the colour has to be quite intense too, I know some guys who have done this with glass paint, but the bulbs needed a good 3 or 4 coats before the pigment was thick enough to make a difference.

Yep,green bulbs if the lights are painted.

Orange led bulbs if they are tinted red with film,these may require a resister inline to slow them down too.

Neil.

those ebay green bulbs look like they should do the job :)

because its transmitted light rather than reflected light its all a bit backward compared to "mix red and yellow to get orange" when you paint a picture, hence green+red=yellow lol

Hummm I'm not convinced.

Using subtractive colour theory the exact situation is:

I am blocking red and blue wavelengths using a green filter (bulb) and then using a red filter (lense- which blocks blue and green wavelengths) which means I'm left with no light, i.e. black because i've filtered out every colour wavelength, nothing can get through.

See: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java ... index.html - Drag the red filter over the "green light" image.

I think people are getting confused with additive colour theory, in the situation where light from a bulb shining through a green filter is added to a bulb shining through a red filter would produce yellow light see - http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java ... index.html - drag the red colour over the green to add them together to produce yellow.

I think the only solution is the brute force method of a much brighter orange bulb, e.g. lots of orange LEDS.

Hummm I'm not convinced.

Using subtractive colour theory the exact situation is:

I am blocking red and blue wavelengths using a green filter (bulb) and then using a red filter (lense- which blocks blue and green wavelengths) which means I'm left with no light, i.e. black because i've filtered out every colour wavelength, nothing can get through.

See: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java ... index.html - Drag the red filter over the "green light" image.

Does this theory not apply to red film tinted lights? Therefor needing bright orange led's?

I think people are getting confused with additive colour theory, in the situation where light from a bulb shining through a green filter is added to a bulb shining through a red filter would produce yellow light see - http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java ... index.html - drag the red colour over the green to add them together to produce yellow.

Does this idea not apply to red painted lights? Ie:Using a green bulb to get yellow/orange?

Ive seen plenty of posts from people using green bulbs with painted lights thats all.

But it definately dosn't work with film tinted lights,as in the top example...thats where you need bright led's.

Neil.

I would have thought red tint film is made up of many tiny opaque red dots covering the surface. Hence some light is blocked by the dots so with original bulbs you get a dim orange flash around the dots. Hence the brighter bulbs solving the problem.

I think red tint spray puts a semi-transparent layer of red over the surface, making a red filter which blocks all wavelengths of light except red. Hence the theory above.

My theory of using a brighter orange bulb will put out more light so the red tint filter is less succesful at filtering it.

I may be completely wrong though.

BTW i've not been able to find an account from anyone who has sprayed their lights with red tint spray then used green bulbs have made it flash orange successfully.

if you look closely at a set of peugeot 206 lights you'll notice that up close they aren't completely red, theres clear segments to pass the light.

and with that I've volunteered to be the guinea pig.

Ordered those ebay ones above.

Will let everyone know how I get on next week!

Right, am getting very confused. Have searched a billion posts on here and read all about the red tint/green bulb/LED scenarios. I thought that the overlays from Empire Graphics solved this as they have strips cut into them to let the light through:

http://www.empiregfx.com/shop/product.p ... t=0&page=1

I was literally about to go off and order some... but now I've actually plugged my brain in, the striped bits aren't over the indicators - doh!

Are there the same issues with the smoked overlays, or do the indicators just shine through orange? I think red would look better, but I haven't got time to start wiring in transistors for LEDs, and the green bulb scenario never seems to be ideal. Anyone with smoked lights (tinted or overlayed) got any ideas?

ive got the red rear lights so it'll be interesting to see how you get on ive just left mine but i no im going to get pulled up at some point :)

Are there the same issues with the smoked overlays, or do the indicators just shine through orange? I think red would look better, but I haven't got time to start wiring in transistors for LEDs, and the green bulb scenario never seems to be ideal. Anyone with smoked lights (tinted or overlayed) got any ideas?

i have empirex rear smoked with reverse slots and blue on the front......indicators and reverse work fine as do the front lights.....no questions at mot time either :D

Right have been off work with the dreaded lurgy this week, however today I felt up to swapping the bulbs over.

My tinted lights look like this:

corr.jpg

The bulbs look like this:

905e_1_b.JPG

And heres the results:

ind.JPG

On the left of the car is the standard white bulb, the right the green coated bulb. The indicator is now definately orange rather the red before, however the indicator is nowhere near as bright.

Not great but better as they are orange rather than red.

I stand corrected about my colour theory! Maybe the fact the green filter cuts out the red light means they look less red, or heck I dunno....

I've got painted ones fitted and i just left mine with standard bulbs, they do flash red as anyone on here who's driven behind me will testify... it also makes the brake lights dangerously hard to see at night strangely... not sure why but i think the general intensity of the main lights confuse with the brake lights as they are now the sam colour after copious amounts of red paint :-), sorry doesnt really help you much just thought i'd warn you about the brake lights!

makes the brake lights dangerously hard to see at night strangely...

Doesn't sound good! Mine have only had the tops tinted I think

And heres the results:

ind.JPG

On the left of the car is the standard white bulb, the right the green coated bulb. The indicator is now definately orange rather the red before, however the indicator is nowhere near as bright.

Not great but better as they are orange rather than red.

I stand corrected about my colour theory! Maybe the fact the green filter cuts out the red light means they look less red, or heck I dunno....

Thanks for showing me your green blubs fitted, doesn't look great but as you said at least they are more orange. I really appreciate your posting your result, looks like I'm off you get some green blubs. Which guy on ebay did you use?