Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

They Really Are Just Taking The P!$$ Now!

I dont get it thought they were supposed to be off road that would struggle with a cobbled street its about as much uses as tits on a bull! think its safe to say its aimed at pimps footballs and dealers

It gets better, here's the official attempt:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/c ... 38476.html

Mmmm... a coupe SUV. Just what the world needs. Just a deliberate attempt at pointless cr@p for status anxiety sufferers. If they really want to make a coupe why don't they just design a new car? Why take something that isn't a coupe and try to turn it into one? It's just so cynical.

I have never seen the point of any off road type vehicle that is used primarily on the road. Whilst the X5, for example is in isolation, a good car, a 5 series estate is cheaper, quicker, more economical, just as spacious (unless you really need the dwarf sized 3rd row of seats), handles better, rides better - for Gods sake why buy the X5

BMW's X6 will be out before the end of next year..

Quite. And if you thought the Range Rover Coupe was dreadful, wait until you see the X6. I don't normally feel the need to swear when posting on here but frankly its f*cking vulgar. I just don't understand what would possess ANYONE to buy one, other than the false illusion that they somehow are making other people jelous that they drive them.

I wish this SUV 'fad' would end, and end soon.

These cars are for people with more money than sense. It's OK they keep the economy buoyant and they have to spend their money on something to tell you how much of it they've got.

With fuel at nearly £5 a gallon and everyone banging on about the planet's latest climate change being our fault, I find it slightly ironic that cars like this are still being produced.

Obviously everything we buy is market driven, but should the wants of Chelsea mums and WAGs be put before the needs of the planet? At the very least they should make the damn things run on E85, but they won't.

It does look smart though and If I was in the market it would be a Range Rover for me. They still have the status (the most important bit for WAGs), ability and heritage that most of the other off roaders lack.

Off topic I suppose.

I'm no expert on global warming but as far as I'm concerned and it would appear the planet as an ecosystem is concerned the huge nuclear reaction in sky called the sun might have a little more to do with global warming than a harmless gas that every living thing on the planet expels and ultimately absorbs (it's called the carbon cycle). Anyone that says there is more carbon in the atmosphere and it's causing global warming and it's our fault is deluded and has been misinformed.

If you don't believe me that's fine. I always doubted that global warming could be attributed to human activity after studying it for my dissertation at university. And the documentary "The Great Global Warming Scandal" rang true to my ears. It's very weird the way it's become a global concern that flies in the face of common sense and the evidence, as with most things it's politically driven. And when you think about it exactly where do you see the planet suffering? The planet cannot suffer because it's not a conscious entity unlike us!

It's like we've regressed to some primitive religion where we believe we can anger the Gods (the atmosphere) by our sins (big cars).

The above is just the ramblings of a bored Computer Engineer with a bee in his bonnet please ignore at your leisure. :)

P*ssed myself laughing when I watched the documentary about carbon offsetting and it's inconsistencies and failings, especially the bit where Shell Oil IIRC were attempting to collect the methane gas from the sh*t of a large pig farm in mexico IIRC to offset some of the co2 released my burning fossil fuels WTF.

:lol:

Do I need to put on a flame suit for expressing a controversial opinion?

obviously the bulk of anti SUV thoughts are from people that haven't driven any of these things for long periods of time............Ive driven a fair few of them (Land-Rover/Range Rovers,Landcruisers,Merc ML's,X5's Toerags etc)and although I'd rather drive/own the likes of a 911 I find them so hassle free/easy to drive especially with Autoboxes,not everyone wants a car to lap the nurburgring or take down their favourite bit of twisty road.........and with city driving getting more and more stop start-stop start I'd rather be stuck in traffic in the likes of a SUV(the Missus has a Freelander 2 TD4 auto btw)than say my Corrado or 993...........yes a fair few of them are bought for their status symbol image.........but FFS the Corrado was when it was new one of the cars to be seen in for similar reasons

My problem with it is not the way it looks or the amount of CO2 it emits, I couldn't really care less about either of those things. This global warming hype is just the government finding ways of raising revenue. I'm surprised they haven't tried to tax people's fear of terrorism.

My problem is the above cars serve no purpose. If I want to go off road I'll buy a Range Rover. Of course I will. If I want a driver's car that handles well and looks cool I'll buy a coupe. If I want a car that looks like a Range Rover on lowered suspension, probably doesn't handle all that well, can't go off road, returns about 7 mpg despite being relatively slow, and is an epic waste of money I'll buy one of those... things. And I can't see that happening any time soon. It's not a coupe and it's not an off roader. It's just pointless.

its just a 2 door RR-S tho..........its the marketing people that have hyped it up as a "coupe" same way as the E36 2door was called a coupe yet the previous E30 2door wasn't.........besides people buying these won't be comparing it with similar priced "coupes" such as the Porsche Cayman S/Nissan 350Z etc,and afterall the original Rangie was only available as a 2dr for the first 10+ years of its life.........it just wasn't called a coupe

Part of the reason some people buy 4x4's is cos they like them. They like the look, they like the fact they can see all around them, they feel safe, they feel like they are in luxury, they feel respected on the road etc etc. And the big one is that they feel their kids are safe, and you cant knock them for that.

Now, tell me the same about an original Mini.

Dont forget, not all people care about handling, performance etc. We do, thats why we drive what we drive, but others dont - if they did they'd have a Rado too :wink:

Part of the reason some people buy 4x4's is cos they like them. They like the look, they like the fact they can see all around them, they feel safe, they feel like they are in luxury, they feel respected on the road etc etc. And the big one is that they feel their kids are safe, and you cant knock them for that.

Now, tell me the same about an original Mini.

Dont forget, not all people care about handling, performance etc. We do, thats why we drive what we drive, but others dont - if they did they'd have a Rado too :wink:

Yeah, I suppose.... :lol:

That safety thing annoys me a bit though. Yeah, their kids are safer but they are more of a dnager if they hit someone elses child. And I remember that thing on TV where they lined up like twenty kids behind this 4x4 and the driver couldn't see any of them. So visibility isn't all that great in reality. That said I always thought the visibility out of my G60 wasn't all that great, not quite that bad though.

I don't know. Each to their own as you say, and it's not like people are going to stop buying them. That "coupe" is going to fly out of the show rooms like it or not.

Off topic I suppose.

I'm no expert on global warming but as far as I'm concerned and it would appear the planet as an ecosystem is concerned the huge nuclear reaction in sky called the sun might have a little more to do with global warming than a harmless gas that every living thing on the planet expels and ultimately absorbs (it's called the carbon cycle). Anyone that says there is more carbon in the atmosphere and it's causing global warming and it's our fault is deluded and has been misinformed.

If you don't believe me that's fine. I always doubted that global warming could be attributed to human activity after studying it for my dissertation at university. And the documentary "The Great Global Warming Scandal" rang true to my ears. It's very weird the way it's become a global concern that flies in the face of common sense and the evidence, as with most things it's politically driven. And when you think about it exactly where do you see the planet suffering? The planet cannot suffer because it's not a conscious entity unlike us!

It's like we've regressed to some primitive religion where we believe we can anger the Gods (the atmosphere) by our sins (big cars).

The above is just the ramblings of a bored Computer Engineer with a bee in his bonnet please ignore at your leisure. :)

P*ssed myself laughing when I watched the documentary about carbon offsetting and it's inconsistencies and failings, especially the bit where Shell Oil IIRC were attempting to collect the methane gas from the sh*t of a large pig farm in mexico IIRC to offset some of the co2 released my burning fossil fuels WTF.

:lol:

Do I need to put on a flame suit for expressing a controversial opinion?

Quoted for truth - amen brother!

Man-made global warming is nonsense, and the only reason there's a CURRENT scientific consensus is because it's politically driven, you get more grants if you can link your research however spuriously to climate change and it's an excellent excuse to keep the developing nations under the thumb so the West can continue to exploit their natural resources.

Anyway - back to 4x4s!