Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Is this a geomety problem or worse?

My car seems to be very light to steer left but heavier to steer right. Could this be a geometry problem with the suspension or could the rack be naff. never used this rack before as its a replacement.

thanks

That is a classic rack symptom I'm afraid to say mate....... if the difference in steering weight is massive between the 2 directions. If it's only slightly heavier turning right, could be a minor tracking issue.

Ah! (GULP) Ive got the same issue. Though i know the geometry is out after changing the suspension. Will be interesting to see if its still like that when its set up correctly. Though its not a huge differences between weight though, so hoping it is just the tracking or similar.

How much are new or reconditioned racks?

Providing the difference in weight isn't huge and you're not losing any PAS fluid and the geometry is good, I'd live with it!

I fitted a brand new VAG rack (not recon) a few years ago and that was heavier to the right from new, so it might just be a Corrado quirk, not sure.

Mind you, I did get that rack off ebay for £100 as ex-new stock :?

Racks from VW are £500+VAT. If the part number is suffixed with an X, it's recon'd. If no suffix, it's a new part!!

Providing the difference in weight isn't huge and you're not losing any PAS fluid and the geometry is good, I'd live with it!

I fitted a brand new VAG rack (not recon) a few years ago and that was heavier to the right from new, so it might just be a Corrado quirk, not sure.

Mind you, I did get that rack off ebay for £100 as ex-new stock :?

Racks from VW are £500+VAT. If the part number is suffixed with an X, it's recon'd. If no suffix, it's a new part!!

£500 :shock: They're having a giraffe!

No not losing any fluid, so will find out in next couple of weeks once geometry is set up right.

Cheers

Just to be sure, peel back the passenger side steering gaiter when they adjust the track rods and look for oil in there. If there is, it's ouch time....

Yep, £500!

In the "Steering rack swaps and solutions" thread there is apparently a SEAT rack that might fit the Corrado and costs a lot less......

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36962

My rado pulls to the right, and the steering feels heavy, i'm assuming that'll be my rack?

If anyone knows where to get a cheaper recon rack from let me know, i'm sure I remember seeing someone saying that they'd paid less than £500!

Yeah, I allways have the camber done after changing the suspension, but my car has standard suspension - d'you reckon it would still be worth having it checked even though the suspension hasn't been changed/lowered?

Yeah, I allways have the camber done after changing the suspension, but my car has standard suspension - d'you reckon it would still be worth having it checked even though the suspension hasn't been changed/lowered?

if your suspension is untouched then no i would leave it,but when you lower it i would re-adjust it as it will be to much negative camber and scrub off tyres.

Its not just camber that affects steering but also "set back" and "thrust line" and its all to do with the alignment of front to rear wheels,these are important to get checked as you can adjust them by moving the rear axel about,these settings will have a profound affect on the cars behaviour

Those settings are within tolerance on mine, camber is spot on, as is tracking it's definitely more effort turning right than left. Maybe I need to work out my left arm? :lol:

Caster also affects steering weight and I've seen cases where the nearside top mount is so shagged (cause that's where all the bumps and holes are) that it throws the caster off slightly. Caster can be off on both wheels and not affect anything, but if it's off on just one wheel, it will affect steering weight.

People say "I had the TMs done last year", but stiffer suspension kills them really quickly. I have to change the nearside TM bearing every 9 months because the roads around here are schitt!

Anyway, just some more things to check before whipping the rack off.....

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36962

My rado pulls to the right, and the steering feels heavy, i'm assuming that'll be my rack?

If anyone knows where to get a cheaper recon rack from let me know, i'm sure I remember seeing someone saying that they'd paid less than £500!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25012&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p270015

I'm pretty sure I got mine for £140