Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

How rattly is your cabin?

Mine is terrible! Mainly coming from passenger door, and I think behind the passenger rear card. I feel like the local council is trying to kill my poor Rado, so harsh are some of the speedbumps near me. :(

Weekend mission is to whip the doorcard off and see what's rattling, dash seems to be pretty quiet.

How are yours? Any tips as to what usually works loose and the best way to resecure it?

I ended up getting softer springs and dampers.....get some of the foam backed sticky draft excluder to put between rubbing surfaces (like under the plastic tunnel consol) that works for lots of bits, and then use locktite on all the screws for the dash, get a mate to hit a tyre with a wooden mallet (not the sidewall!!) and get inside and pinpoint all those rattles, you'd be suprised how few there really are, but the ones that do exist are permanently annoying. Or turn the stereo on. :lol:

Ha ha yeah, the stereo helps, but then I can't hear the gentle, calming whirr of my G-Lader - the best soundtrack there is!

I'm a bit anal about rattles and squeaks I must say - I think they make the car seem "old" (even though I suppose it kind of IS old), although I did chuckle at the creaking made by my mate's 05 plate Golf GTI the other day... :D

I've got an interior panel that flaps around that I can't get to stay down for the life of me. Also my sunroof liner rattles like mad, as does my bad strut tower :lol:

Most of the rattling in mine comes from in the boot area. Think it may need the rear axle bushes replacing. Drives me barmy, but then again, she is 18 in Jan! :shock:

What's behind the rear doorcards that could be rattling? The thing with rattles is - once you notice them, you can't hear anything else!

A real little bloke with a small hammer, when you take off the card, he moves into the boot area so you can't see him. Then he moves back there again when you put the card back on. Rat poison can kill him, or line the panels with cotton wool so he can't bang anything.

ive put soundeding on my doors and foam(like what you get aroung the wiring harness) on door rods ect and that helped sooooo much !!! and ive fitted roung rubber washers to the trip clips on the quater cards to stop rattles! its worth the hassle !

DSCN0948.jpg

Well had a good day yesterday, as soon as I got the door cards off it was obvious what the main culprit was - the plastic inner door handle on both doors was loose on the metal door innards, it's only held on with the lateral pull of the opening rod thingy. Took them off, put some sticky-backed foam behind them and put them back on - voila, no play in them. The next bad guy was the little flappy handles themselves - obviously the rod that connects them to the lock mechanism must have stretched over the years, meaning they had too much play and were rattling around. Disconnected the rod, bent it a bit (so it was effectively shorter) and reconnected it. Also put foam behind these rods as they travel across the door and that helped. Put the lot back together and my doors now go THUNK instead of THUNKRATTLE. :D

Now there's just a couple of rattles in the rear, sound like the seatbelt upper mountings... hmm... the quest continues!

My main rattle or squeak comes from the panel that houses the interior light and sunroof switch and it`s constant. It`s driving me insane the only round round it for me is to open or tilt the sunroof then it seems to stop. No idea why that solves it. Other than that mines pretty quiet...

Mine's silent now, it had a really annoying tinny type ressinance when I bought it but I managed to stop the bugger by taking the dash apart and reving the car untill I found where it was coming from.