Sign in to follow this  
vr6virgin

24v renshaws car

Cheers for that mate it`s a great help will hopefully be getting the rundown tonight as the seller is supposed to be calling to talk about doing a deal

It deserves a good home. It was a brilliantly executed project that, as you can see, Jay put so so much time and effort into.

One of my favourite Corrado's ever without a doubt.

I second that Jim. Not an awful lot id change. Wheels maybe. Would be strange owning a car thats know as renshaws. It would never seem to be yours.

I second that Jim. Not an awful lot id change. Wheels maybe. Would be strange owning a car thats know as renshaws. It would never seem to be yours.

Apparently it has a set of 16" dezent alloys on it now ,but nothing else has been changed think they would be coming off quick style with some dezent "see what i did there" alloys bbs ,schmidt,borbet,brock etc etc.

Cheers for that mate it`s a great help will hopefully be getting the rundown tonight as the seller is supposed to be calling to talk about doing a deal

So it's moving on again is it? Ok before you buy the car have a really big think about what you're doing and make 100% sure you know what you're up to. I know James well and saw this car evolve at close hand from when he first bought it in 2001.

Thoughts :

(a) This is a massively modified car. Make sure you read James' (huge) thread on it and understand it. I don't think it would be far wrong to assume that just about every aspect of the car, be it cosmetic, interior, mechanical or electrical was modified, renewed or replaced during the time that James had it. This is a very serious point as there is no "instruction book" for this car, and although the engine will plug into normal VAG diagnostics (and will show as a Mk4 4Motion) you should assume that maintenance will require a lot of skill, knowledge and improvisation.

(b) Don't buy the car simply on the romantic notion that it used to be James' show car. He hasn't owned the thing for over two years now. You need to buy on the basis of the current owner's stewardship - not your memory (or anyone else's) of James' time with the car.

© I'm sure the owner is probably asking for a chunk of cash for this car because I know what James sold it for. Bear in mind that only a month ago decent, low mileage, FSH Corrado Storms were going on the Autotrader for just over £4k. Think about that.

(d) Don't be under any illusion that if you buy the car you'll spend the rest of your life as the "owner of James' old project car". It won't be yours, it will always be "his". Everyone will just be interested in asking you about the modifications HE did to it. They won't be interested in you unless you damage it or blow it up (in which case you'll be 'that knobhead who trashed James' old project car'). The only way to get out of that will be to tear the car apart (as James did) and rebuild it completely different, at least changing all the dash, interior and body colour out to make it "yours". At this point refer to point © above all over again.

Don't get me wrong; it used to be a terrific car when I knew it and if you guys had any concept at all of how many hours James spent working on it you'd know what a labour of love it was for him. But equally don't let any of the history cloud your judgement if you're in the position of actually considering buying it. That decision has to be a sober, informed and commercial one.

Good luck,

John

p.s. if you do buy the car you might want to re-register your nick as "24Virgin" but don't be surprised if the boys suddenly start offering you flowers and chocolates luv. XXX.

I think that you've made some very valid points there. Especailly with regards to it being a heavily modified car. There will be a lot of learning and finding out to be done. Much as i owuld have loved to have bought it at some stage, this is the things that would concern me teh most - especially as i didnt build the thing. Yes its impressive and yes its unique, but dont foreget now it has been through more tehan a few owners since Renshaw so the treatment its had will be different and the value will also be less. Plus there might be a lot of new issues cropping up with it, for which there wont be too many people able to help, unlike the 'standard' Corrados. Dont get me wrong i would LOVE to own it if i had the cash, i just would probably need to spend 6 months with Renshaw working it all out. Then again as mentioned you get some nice Storms for not-so-silly money at the moment.

I agree its a complicated car but on the plus side when he did the 24v conversion, He did it in a way that made all the mechanical and electrical stuff straight mk4 complete. Even down to the abs. So fixing that should be fairly straight forward. Not a half half like I and most others would do/have done. Also its a well documented car. You have 90+ pages on here alone as a manual for you. Then there are other sites. Thats the silver lining to this.

I agree its a complicated car but on the plus side when he did the 24v conversion, He did it in a way that made all the mechanical and electrical stuff straight mk4 complete. Even down to the abs. So fixing that should be fairly straight forward. Not a half half like I and most others would do/have done. Also its a well documented car. You have 90+ pages on here alone as a manual for you. Then there are other sites. Thats the silver lining to this.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all in fact. The point is that this is not a car for the inexperienced as so much has been changed. It's a big credit to James that he sorted all the electrics out to MkIV etc but at the same time that is no guarantee of simplicity. For example the car has a Corrado fuel pump, but the float has had to be modified so that it talks to the TT dashboard fuel meter.

It's a great car but if ever there was a case of "Caveat emptor" then this is one of them.

Who is the lucky owner of this car now? And how come it changes hands so often? I would love to be able to make my car halfway near approaching this one and don't think I would want to let it go after...

doesn't look quite right IMO either but I know I'd be desperate to put my own stamp on it too if I was lucky enough to own it... those pipes would look OK if they were in a neat cut out on the bumper and the lower edge lined up with the rest of it but like that just makes me think of the Vectra which also sported a similar design :?

Its in Northern Ireland these days, those pictures were taken at the VAGE show in Cork just over two weeks ago.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142 ... C_0832.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142 ... C_0860.jpg

Campaigns old campaign was there too:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142 ... C_0875.jpg[/img]

Jays Corrado is for sale again by the way, never seems to stay with one owner for long now :scratch:

never seems to stay with one owner for long now

But why not? Is there something just fundamentally wrong with the car which people only realise after they've bought it?!!!

never seems to stay with one owner for long now

But why not? Is there something just fundamentally wrong with the car which people only realise after they've bought it?!!!

maybe the owners get fed up with constantly being asked "is that jays car" or being criticised for changing it in any way, or maybe its because the sort of people who would buy it get bored quickly, they just want a pre modified car without putting all the hard work and money into it, and think they will get the same satisfaction and respect as the person who did all the hard work but soon realise thats not the case, or just get bored of it and buy the next pre done car.

How much is it up for this time then?

Stg £7k Not sure how that compares to what it was up for before.

I would imagine the fact that everyone will always see it as Jays Corrado would put a lot of people off fairly quickly.

I always loved it myself, but would never but it or a car like it for that very reason.

can su1m post a link to some pics of this car? as from what ppl say its amazing but the old links dotn seem to work for me :|

thanks

With "Jays" car you need to buy it for the engineering aspect of it been all factory then modify the hell out of it.

yup when you buy a car that someone else has done all the work to, its always gonna be "jays" corrado, neer will be your own, i could only buy a car that had been partly done at most! then change everything that had been done

Jesus talk about a thread revival...

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as why it's had so many owners since 24vRenshaw?