Sign in to follow this  
vr6virgin

24v renshaws car

I wouldn't want it.......since it was first sold it has always been known as "Renshaws old car" - seems like people who have owned it since have been given a hard time (not so much on here as on other forums) for daring to change anything about it - I couldn't put up with all the criticism to be honest

Would be the same if you sold yours mate :p but instead of saying things like "Oh my god they've put parking sensors on it" we will be saying "Oh my god they've put a cheap manifold on it, dont they know Kev's car hates manifolds and it will just crack!!" :lol:

LOL, I doubt it mate. Aside from you and a couple of other people, no one gives a rats arse about my car :lol:

I have no problem with James's old car or James himself, he's a nice bloke and he had a very nice car. And that's how it should be left imo. I just don't understand this excitement when ever his car comes up for sale again and as Andy says, the judgemental comments from people questioning what the new owner is doing to it.

I wouldn't give a monkey's what people said. I've been flamed for daring to put a Magnex on my Storm before, but whoever does not own my car is entitled to their own opinion, and I have mine.

If I had 'Renshaw's old car' and it's as good as I think it should be, I would be happy. :)

the fascination with this car is the fact that jay had put so much effort into it,replacing everything with new,and however bought got a near on brand new car.if i bought i'd change how the exterior looked as the interior is complete as is the engine(maybes fit a turbo or a charger? )

but the exterior is where it still looks quite standardish,think i'd style the exterior the same as i had my g60,an deffoe bin the parkin sensors.

so as tough as it seems i reckon this could still move up a level,although as many people have already said,your always gonna get "int that jays old corrado???????"

i could live we that

A lot of other people have put a lot more effort into their Corrados, but for some reason Jay's was singled out for hero status.

No disrespect to Jay, I've seen his car up close and personal and there were a lot of things I didn't like about it, but the workmanship was done to a high standard regardless of my thoughts and opinions.

Already I can see where this thread is going - just for daring to question the fascination with it :lol:

I just don't get the fascination with who's currently owning and doing what to Renshaw's old car :shrug:

I feel the same Kev. I appreciate the work that's gone in etc etc etc, but the cult status is just weird. Are there shrines to Jay in dirty VW garages around the country? :lol:

There are certainly a small number of cars that are seen as being so much the current owners car that they will always be associated with no one but that owner - I think to buy such a car you have to be one of two types of people:

1. You intend to keep the car as it is - therefore attracting no criticism

2. You don't care what other people think - its your car now and you'll do what you want with it

3. You're not in the least bit interested in the 'scene' and you realise that the amount of people that actually recognise the car in the real world is minuscule, you don't have the skills/funds/time to build such a car and would like a Corrado with all the mod cons that this car provides.

I can see why it's held on a pedastool, it's a modded Corrado with factory build quality and that's a rare thing, it's also selling at bargain prices when it appears for sale.

As for whos bought it and what they've done/do to it, I couldn't care less as it wasn't me :grin:

I

"Oh my god they've put a cheap manifold on it, dont they know Kev's car hates manifolds and it will just want crack!!" :lol:

You know something about Kevs car we don't Robbo?

Personally just glad it's over here and apparently in the hands of some-one who will use it and probably change things up a bit judging by his previous two mk4's..

the same happened we furkz's old g60

an we all know if A20LEE Came up for sale there'd be threads galore on it :lol:

True! :D

I think my 'problem' is I'm too much in the 'engineering' camp. Huge shiney wheels and paint mods don't interest me in the slightest. And I guess Jay's, Lee's and Furkz's cars belong in the 'bling' camp. That said, Jay's car did have some nice engineering and I definitely suscribe to his OE+ way of doing things, but the car as a whole wasn't my bag.

I bet Jay's long forgotten about his Rado and can't understand the fascination either :lol:

Horses and courses eh Kev?

But think we can all agree it was a "Seminal" Rado which drew quite a few new owners into our little Coupe-group...

I think my 'problem' is I'm too much in the 'engineering' camp.

Appreciating function over form (or "cars that look like milkfloats* and go like rockets") is no bad thing Kev. I have a limited budget, and I will always always always put money into parts you can't see as opposed to parts you can unless bigger wheels are functional or the bling dissipates heat better :nuts: :lol: :salute:

*Not that the C is a milkfloat ;)

Anyways, off-topic :|

I think my 'problem' is I'm too much in the 'engineering' camp.

Appreciating function over form (or "cars that look like milkfloats* and go like rockets") is no bad thing Kev. I have a limited budget, and I will always always always put money into parts you can't see as opposed to parts you can unless bigger wheels are functional or the bling dissipates heat better :nuts: :lol: :salute:

*Not that the C is a milkfloat ;)

Anyways, off-topic :|

Amen to all of that. Give me a Corrado with go over a Corrado with show anyday. James' car was actually pretty quick once it had the 24v in it.

Good man :D

I think you should setup a new Corrado forum....."Corrado-tech.com" or something, for us engineer types :D

If you look at the activity on this forum, there is a much stronger bias to general and off topic stuff....

TBH I never really liked Jay's Rado much :ignore:

Feel like I should go and flog myself or something after saying that LOL

We don't all have your depth of knowledge though Kev - I do enjoy reading the technical threads though

or the time or inclination I suspect, but it wasn't a criticsm or what I was getting at tbh. Rather, just an observation that the majority of Corrado owners, according to this forum's activity at least, aren't interested in the tech stuff, or at least they don't show an interest.

A sub forum, or a new forum dedicated ONLY to technical stuff (turbo conversions, 4x4, twin engines etc etc) would be a small one for sure, but a highly interesting one :D

I read in the back of Redline this month of one Mr Gunns and his Haldex'd Corrado. 605hp, crazy fast machine, but he's not on here or any other Corrado forum. Would love to pick his brains on a few things!

We don't all have your depth of knowledge though Kev - I do enjoy reading the technical threads though

or the time or inclination I suspect, but it wasn't a criticsm or what I was getting at tbh. Rather, just an observation that the majority of Corrado owners, according to this forum's activity at least, aren't interested in the tech stuff, or at least they don't show an interest.

A sub forum, or a new forum dedicated ONLY to technical stuff (turbo conversions, 4x4, twin engines etc etc) would be a small one for sure, but a highly interesting one :D

I read in the back of Redline this month of one Mr Gunns and his Haldex'd Corrado. 605hp, crazy fast machine, but he's not on here or any other Corrado forum. Would love to pick his brains on a few things!

Im all for that although the majority of my posts recently have been "styling" based. Love reading the engineering biased topics.

Hi guys, been watching this thread and thought to say hello and glad to be part of the coupe family, always loved corrados and really pleased i own one now. :clap:

There are certainly a small number of cars that are seen as being so much the current owners car that they will always be associated with no one but that owner - I think to buy such a car you have to be one of two types of people:

1. You intend to keep the car as it is - therefore attracting no criticism

2. You don't care what other people think - its your car now and you'll do what you want with it

Type 2 sounds about right :D

Just been speaking to Vicks "Better Half" on MSN... Jay saw it the day after it came home and is really happy it's back, and a little "overwhelmed" too! Bless his cotton Socks...

How long till there's a Green MK4 on Gold Honda BBS rims for sale! :lol:

Jay is pleased its back in someone hands who will look after the hard work he put into it, yes its always going to be Jays corrado, and..............? is it really that important? not to me, he is one of my closest friends and thats more re assuring its his old car. if anyone from here knows Jay, they will probably know he does not cut any corners in any shape or form.

The car has been through a few owners but has help up very well in that time, a true statement to the original build quality and skill put into the car. It is far from a car with shiney paint and big wheels, don't get it twisted assuming that, the car has a huge spec, quaife diff, fully functional TT dash, climatronics, cruise control full mk4 4mo engine conversion etc etc, and for me, thats engineering right there as i don't know of many corrados with anything what this car has. It was a very popular car and was well in the show circuit due to Jay being popular with his skills and knowledge. The car is as reliable and runs like a mk4, nothing like a older car, everything is new, all runs well and feels tight and nimble, experience from owning mk2's with 20v turbos, VR6's and 16V's and owning mk4 20vT's and GT Tdi's.

Sorry if this has turned into a bit of a speech, its nothing personal to anyone but i felt a few questions would be cleared up with the above. Great forum for anything corrado based, think i will be spending a lot of time on here! and again, glad to be a part of the corrado world, extremely pleased i have this now.

As for plans, Rotrex and possibly 4wd , and maybe some BBS RS 17's :censored:

Thanks

Vick :)

back in someone hands

JEALOUS JEALOUS! JEALOUS I have plans and schemes for my Storm because of it. One day I hope I can point at your car saying that inspired me to do this, and then point back at mine.

Look after it... 8)

How is this rado not a great example of proper engineering though? :shrug:

Without sounding too asslick1.gif - In my books it's the perfect example of how to 'modify' a car correctly, everything works as it should and by all accounts it drives like a new car, as the new owner said - no corners were cut and it's been done properly down to the last detail. It's not just a straight forward engine conversion and lick of paint type job, it's all been done to create a perfect 'package' not just to look bling or go as fast as possible and achieve the highest BHP figure - and I think that's why it's held with such high regard.

Whether the colour/wheels/seats etc are to our own personal taste is neither here nor there, but surly no-one can deny that it's a job well done. I've not seen another rado done in such a complete and well thought out way - and that's not taking away from others hard work as there's obviously a lot of other awesome rados around but for me this particular one ticks a lot of boxes (even though i'm not a fan of the colour :lol: )

Anyway, enjoy the car VickN - it sounds like you already are 8)

Can't say I like the colour or the wheels, either. And I loved the TT dash when it was black, but not when it became half cream, although I can't deny it brightened up the interior, I've never been a fan of cream in the car.

But in total agreement with Walesy, horses for courses on the style, where style is individual taste, it's the concept of the upgrades being as the Corrado *could* be if it were built today and then managing to actually acheive that concept so brilliantly. The car is an inspiration - and wouldn't it be great if someone who counts in Volks Wagen got inspiration from this car...