Sign in to follow this  
vr6virgin

24v renshaws car

I think the car is the elephants danglies personally, not ideal that its changed hands a few times but that isnt a reflction of its quality. I doubt there are many people on here (if any) who could match its quality bearing in mind Jay did virtually the whole thing himself...

I doubt there are many people on here (if any) who could match its quality bearing in mind Jay did virtually the whole thing himself...

Oh please :roll:

I know your into high power which is great but you cant deny that dash install and the work that must have gone into wiring it up properly must have been a challenge and well above most peoples capabilities. Hes obviously fairly good at doing the conversions as hes done quite a few other motors which are prize winners/mag featured..

Jay's car was a great example of what could be done to modernise the corrado.

Everything he used at the time was pretty much latest VAG - TT Dash, 24v engine etc.

The fact this was executed to such a high standard, and was a home built project gave the car the status it has, among the whole watercooled scene, not just corrado owners.

Vicks got some work to do just to get it as good as it was, let alone take it further.. I just hope he keeps it away from motorways!

It's not about me and my tastes, but I can think of 2 or 3 people on here who could match Jay's workmanship, if not better it. I just took issue with the insinuation that no one else can do what Jay has done, or can do, which isn't true.

As said before, I have no problem with car or Jay.

I wasnt trying to start any ill feeling, i know Bens car was of equal quality (suppose personal taste dictates which one people think is best).

Its the Gnat's nadgers to me...This car inspired me to mod mine and If I can get close to the standard of workmanship Ill be a happy man :)

My 2p

I think the real point is less about the quality of the workmanship and more about the mix of ideas that James brought to the car. I mean who else can honestly say they would have thought of the Corvette wheels, the various Porsche seat combinations he tried out or that neat little Porsche 914 badge? Who thought of putting the Climatronic system into a Corrado before he did? That's right - no one on here did that's for sure.

But since workmanship has been mentioned, I'd challenge anybody to produce a TT dash conversion that is superior to the one in that car. It fits properly, it doesn't squeak or rattle, there were no wires hanging anywhere (unlike a few TT'd cars I've seen), all the soft-closures on the controls were spot on, and in addition all of the functions and gauges worked, including the "dash lighting up when you open the door" bit. There may be conversions as good, but none better IMHO.

Obviously every car is individual to it's owner. We all want different things, have different levels of talent & vision to realise them, and some of us can spend more time than others making it happen.

But the two things that always blew me away about James' cars are firstly how far he managed to dive into the VAG & Porsche parts bins to find things that he could fit (or just try out) and above all how little money he managed to build that car for. The man is a Jedi-master on eBay, and a complete bastard to deal with if he's buying parts off you :D

I wondered when the "I did it first" elitism would come into it.

I'm sorry but none of that is difficult when you're starting with a bare shell. It's about the desire to do it and having access to the right materials and tools, aswell as patience and dexterity.

Who even knows Jimmi on here built up a Corrado with full MK5 GTI engine and running gear, plus dash and interior?

And what about Phat's and Coxy's 4x4 Corrados, and their mate's twin engine corrado? Where's their appreciation society then?

Jimmi, now there's a name..., :censored: Joking aside, that too would be a hugely commendable project, is there a thread on it?

I think its that Renshaws has been more prominent and that it incorporated some very visual mods. And received commercial exposure too. I would imagine if A20Lee's motor started changing hands as often as renshaws it would also attract serious comments, having also been feature in journals etc. and having a huge build therad on here too. I for one appreciate all of them and would LOVE to own them, if only i had the time, money and knowledge!

Ah yeah, sorry Hasan, bit of a sore subject for you!

Not sure mate, Jimmi "fell off" the radar ages ago. I never saw pics of the final product, but I had it on good authority it was completed to a high standard and worked perfectly.

Yeah agreed, Jay's was in the public eye a lot more. He kept his thread regularly updated and got it magazine featured. A lot of talented people don't like the aggro or exposure, being the shy retiring types, too modest even, dare I say.

imho, quality = time and money. Simple as that. Everything can be traced back to those as the roots of a car project I reckon.

I have some time and no money, hence why mine doesn't have a diamond plate windscreen and gold-plated floorpan :nuts: Oh wait, mine doesn't have those cos it'd be ass... :gag:

As mentioned, I appreciate the effort, creativity and individuality in all the projects. I personally think showcars are futile; if you spend £1000s on something just so other people like you then you have bigger sociological fish to fry :lol: but end of the day it's your car. As Kev said, just because you don't read about it doesn't mean someone isn't making something better in a garage somewhere, and it would be naive/shortsighted to assume that people don't have the skills...Look at MikkiJayne's Audi V8 powered Corrado for example.

It's like celebrity status for car and owner which makes no sense to me :|

Can't see a problem with people liking the Renshaw Corrado, or any other car, and showing their appreciation for it?

All these cars are great. I totally admire anyone who takes it that far as it's not really what I do myself and I havn't even done the show-car-thing for 3-4 years now. As long as people aren't gluing gawkish scoopy jap-front ends on Corrados they have my admiration.

I wasn't bigging James up as better than anyone else, but I think it's fair to defend a long-time friend and talented guy if I think people pick at him a little unfairly.

In any event it's James' ex-university mate Doug that actually owns the wildest-modified Corrado in the UK. Thats the one with the Aston Martin Vantage interior installed in it... amongst other things...

[/Don's flame suit and reaches for fire extinguisher]

p.s. Are we actually "violently agreeing" on here in some byzantine way?

p.s. Are we actually "violently agreeing" on here in some byzantine way?

:D

LOL, that's one way to put it.

It's one of those "wish I hadn't said anything" scenarios, I knew it would be misunderstood by some, but such is the way with forums.

My original point was why does Jay's car always seem to pull everyone out of the woodwork every time there's mention of it changing hands? People who don't post for months, suddenly reappear :D My mistake, I didn't realise quite the high esteem his creation is held in. And then that all lead onto the debate we're having now :D

One thing I'll say about his car is it's "complete". You see so many project cars, mine included, with unfinished bits that ruin the overall picture, but his had that finished car integrity.

imho, quality = time and money. Simple as that. Everything can be traced back to those as the roots of a car project I reckon.

As mentioned, I appreciate the effort, creativity and individuality in all the projects. I personally think showcars are futile; if you spend £1000s on something just so other people like you then you have bigger sociological fish to fry :lol: but end of the day it's your car. :|

Agree about the time and money comment but I think its a bit presumptive to infer that anybody who spends £1,000s on their car does so just because they want other people to like them. I suspect the majority got their Corrados because they either liked the performance or looks or cache of driving something a bit different or any combination thereof. I don't have any issues with people wanting to get their cars up to show condition or carry out project work whether that be cosmetic or technical. I actually like a bit of both (oooer!) and have probably spent the majority of my £s on performance but so what? Both routes show dedication and commitment and thats a good thing in life because it brings pleasure and advancement. In truth there is probably a part of all of us that wants to be liked by others and have their approval and we all go about getting it in different ways. In this context alone I don't think there is any real difference between spending £200 on a bit of bling or £200 on a piece of kit.

My killer question is how many of us are so unaffected by what others think that we choose goods and services purely for their functionality? Its been said before but what a boring world it would be if we all thought the same. The strength of this forum IMO is that we have all sorts who can happily co-exist for 99.9% of the time and for those of us with a foot in both camps :camp: its the best single source of advice and inspiration.

Don't be so snipey, we're debating, no one has a problem.

Wasn't a snipe, it was my opinion. And I totally agree with you, it is a debate, I just thought debates involve different opinions. Seems a shame I can't have mine?

Either way, no offence intended and none taken.

Look forward to seeing where the car goes from here. Always been one of my very favourite Corrado's. New owner seems like he's got some good ideas on where to take the project :)

First C I ever saw with a 24V engine in it, the smooth quiet engine seemed spot on for the character of the Corrado IMO, I never went much on the TT dash and mk4 switchgear etc. though.

What I always admired was the work he put into the car himself, rather than just paying other people to do it.

Anyway I'm sure we all welcome VickN with open arms, no matter who owner the car at some point in it's history...

I for one will come over and shake your hand and congratulate you on buying what is some people's "dream" Rado...

Best of luck mate and I hope we see you on here regularly!