Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

how do you tint the rear tailights

ive seen some lush cars on here that have there rear tail lights all red see pic below, and they have not tinted them with a spray how do you go about doing this?

many thanks

Chris L

wipe them off with brake cleaner or not much thinners,tape off all but the top part to be coated. Get some nice hot lamps(halogens) from the house and place the rear lights under the lamps to warm up by apply one coat at a time to get your desired look. I would use one that has not been tinted to grade how dark you want them.

Let the lights dry under the light,so no partials of dust get stuck in the paint.

If you are patient you will have OEM looking rear lights.

http://the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php/T ... ear_Lights

Best spary to use is Savage.imop

EDIT-the link above says to wet flat the lights and lacquer them,this is not necessary,just giving the lights a good clean is all needed and using the halogen lights to warm the paint will give a mirror non lacquered finish.

DSCN0946.jpg

hi

if you want hi shine put a few extra coats on leave them dry properly and t-cut them with a power polisher its makes them look oem

Does spraying them all red cause problems with the colours of the indicators (flashing red) and reverse lights. If so is there a way round this other than pinstriping the lense. Cheers,Mark...

my standard bulbs work like normal... :?

Did you spray yours like in the link above. Good to know I won`t have to start messing around with bulbs as I intend to try spraying my lights tomorrow.

I used the savage spray on mine, they looked good when i first done them, but now they've faided back to orange, so maybe clear laquer could pevent that ??

If you're gonna paint them, definately use laquer. Do around 3 coats, wet and dry with 1000+ grit, then cut with a cutting compound. They'll look factory 8)

If you're gonna paint them, definately use laquer. Do around 3 coats, wet and dry with 1000+ grit, then cut with a cutting compound. They'll look factory 8)

Same as mine, its best to use laquer

DSCF0085.JPG[/attachment:1n4h8s8u]

I concur with Stormcharged.

I gave mine several coats of tint, flatted them with 1500 wet and dry. Then 5 coats or so of lacquer and again flatted them back.

I then used G10 and T-cut to bring em back to OEM style. The finish is simply amazing, even though I say myself.

Jus make sure u leave the laquer for 24 hours to harden before you attack them with the wet and dry.

Well, I bought mine off ebay, but believe they were spray tinted.

The indicators DO flash red and not orange.... (unsurprisingly)

I've literally just fitted these however and the problem is no more :)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/produc ... 613&page=1

&

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/produc ... 656&page=1

Worthwhile mod I think..... people ARE stupid and might not realise you're indicating. Worried me slightly, anyway.

no need for laquer done a set 8 yrs ago and done loads since and all still look fansastic its all in the prep make sure that you key the lamp up i use a scotch pad its not agressive but gives a good key then spray coats for effect wanted then put on 2 extra this allows for cutting them back with compound use t cut not g3 as the later is 2 coarse (after a few days of dryin of course) that will give you the oem look (you can laquer if you want but why give another layer a chance to come off as we all know what laquer is like )

Well, I bought mine off ebay, but believe they were spray tinted.

The indicators DO flash red and not orange.... (unsurprisingly)

I've literally just fitted these however and the problem is no more :)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/produc ... 613&page=1

&

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/produc ... 656&page=1

Worthwhile mod I think..... people ARE stupid and might not realise you're indicating. Worried me slightly, anyway.

Hi, did you fit the blubs and resistors. If so, is it easy to fit the resistors? Where do they go etc?

After doing a search on the forum (or.. rather, a friend doing one) I found this picture.

Soldered it onto the bulb holder exactly as shown.

led004kc5.jpg

Many thanks to whomever this pic came from... can't remember off hand.

Works perfectly :) Very simple. I reckon a 3yr old could solder better than me.. so if i can do it, anyone can.

Josh

I got some green bulbs on ebay - they make the lights flash orange but not so bright as before. See results:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63845&hilit=+green

LED bulbs are better (make it orange and bright), but theoretically it should fail the MOT with them as they are not type approved for our age cars. But then neither will green ones but I've not had a problem.