Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Am I being unreasonable...

Please bear with me on this :lol:

Had someone enquire about the Bora on Monday, asked lots of questions but said he couldn't get down to see the car until later in the week - I promised him that although I would let other people view the car I would not sell until he had come down to see it

I had a viewing on Tuesday and the bloke offered me the full asking price, he obviously knew beforehand that someone else had first refusal on the car.

The bloke that did have first refusal came down yesterday to view and bought the car after taking it out for a drive, despite the first viewer offering full asking price I offered to either reduce the price by £100 and throw in a pair on unfitted Angel Eyes or put a new MOT on it - he took the £100 and headlights as he wanted to take the car there and then despite the MOT only having a month to run. I advised him that I was not aware of any faults on the car and if it did fail it would only be on normal wear and tear items that you would expect on any 8 year old, 68k mile cars.

Received a call from him tonight because:

1. It failed the MOT on one front suspension bush and one rear suspension bush were perished

2. He has found two stonechips on the bonnet that need touching in

Although he did not specifically ask it was clear that he was angling for some more money off.

Am I wrong / unreasonable to have stated quite firmly that two stonechips on a car of that age and mileage is far less than you would normally expect and two suspension bushes is hardly a disaster for an MOT

No I do not think you are being unreasonable. Two stone chips is very good for a rado! lol

Two suspension bushes is hardly the end of the world either especially as he already had money off the car in the first place.

yeah i agree, he is just trying to get something more from you. Stonechips-he viewed the car and bought it as seen, so surely he would have checked the panels for dents, scratches, stonechips etc and made an offer to suit? and bushes? so what? wear and tear item, he took it for a test drive and again looked around it, so should have noticed any faults. PLUS you offered to get it MOT'd and he refused, hard luck on him!

You had no prior knowledge that the car would fail an MOT. And show me a car that wasn't resprayed 15 minutes ago that doesn't have a stone chip on it somewhere. At least if he was angling to get more money back he could have had the balls to just come out and say it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Tell him to bring the car back for a full refund if he is not happy :? you have another buyer lined up who is willing to pay full asking price and you did offer to get the MOT done, but he was happy with the discount, you have defiantly been very reasonable, sod him :)

What a berk! Did he not see the two stone chips himself?

I thought a friend of mine had good cause to go back to a guy he bought a few year old Golf GTI from because it needed £1000 worth of clutch work on it, and even then he was reluctant... to come back over a few worn bushes is f'ing ridiculous! Thats happens when you buy 2nd hand cars FFS!

Jim - this is the crazy thing. It was pouring down when he turned up so obviously the car was wet. I offered to get the C out, put the Bora in and dry it off so he could examine it, he said there was no need as he could see it was immaculate. I was genuinely not aware of the stonechips, if they were of any size I'd have noticed them and pointed them out.

Stone chips are just what happens when you buy a used car. Anyone who goes to see a any car even 2 years old expecting NO paint blemishes is seriously deluded IMHO.

Just tell hi mto f*** off.

Why bother mincing your words,

Quite clearly the guy is a tool and deserves to be told as such.

He was offered the car with an MOT and he refused.

Tought S.H and 1 T

who is to say the stone chips didn't happen when he took the car away..........

also i wish some of my failed mot's were as simple as 2 bushes!! guys an idiot.

Sounds like he's just trying it on tbh, sold as seen and tell him you've been more than reasonable by a) waiting and not selling it when someone offered you Full price, and b) offering money off or a fresh MOT.

Unless he's a friend and you're planning on seeing him again in a social manner and want to be nice to him, I think you've been nice enough already and he needs to be told to go jump if he wants money back. Hasn't he ever purchased a 2nd hand car before! :?

what a nerve, i would have told him he was lucky to have such minor qualms with a used car. its the first law of the private sale, buyer beware, no warranty implied or given. you have the moral high ground here, he should be embarrassed.

Yo Andy,

The legal phrase in this case is "Caveat Emptor" (let the buyer beware). If the car has stone chips he should have looked for them before the deal. Similarly he could have made the deal subject to a new MOT but didn't. He could have had the car inspected, but didn't. He bought the car as seen with no warranty or agreed conditions implied or expressed. If something goes wrong after consideration has passed it's not your problem. This is common UK contract law which applies in cases of verbal agreements / handshake like this.

You keep the money and stand your ground. Legally he hasn't got a leg to stand on. He's got himself a nice Bora and should stop being such a pikey.

Bank those franklins mate :D

John

He turned down the offer of having a new MOT put on the car????

Then when it does fail he's fishing for some money back?????

He's having a giraffe!

He knew it only had a months MOT and if it passes or not its not your problem. Had you put 12 months MOT on it you would have probably got more money for the car. Like you say the MOT failure items are minor and could happen on any car. He is the unreasonable one and I wouldn't let it worry you anymore m8.

offer to buy it back for what he paid for it if hes not happy, when he turns up with the car knock off £2 per mile hes put on it since hes had it

if he wanted a car that was free from stonechips then he should have bought a new one from the main stealer, not a second hand car with a months MOT left

Definately not!

After owning my C for 2 months i had to have a full engine rebuild. I know 2 months is a long time, but i covered less than 1000 miles in it