Sign in to follow this  
G60BoyRacer

Heater Matrix Removal

Can ANYONE help!!!

Can anyone tell me how to remove the Heater Matrix from a 1991 G60. I am 99.9% sure that the matrix has had it from reading previous posts about cold blowing heaters!

My G60 starts off warm but as soon as you put the heater onto setting 2, 3 or 4 cold air blows out.

I would be very grateful if someone can tell me how the matrix is removed, hopefully without removing the dash!

Cheers.

look at where the heater pipes enter the bulk head they should be atatched to the hoses,they were fitted after a vw recall about heater matrixs bursting and scalding peoples feet

Once the metal recall valve activates (there's a plastic one and a metal one), it stays locked shut and you need to replace it.

Kev

Sounds more like a dodgy valve.

A leaking matrix will steam the windows up, empty the coolant, and lead to the destruction of Zion...

Actually, ignore that last comment - wrong e-group.

defo the valves, exact same symptoms on a 1990 Passat. New valves in a kit from VW were about 25+VAT.

Gavin

Was the Corrado actually recalled like the MK2? I know I've asked this before, but whilst it's fresh in my mind! Mine hasn't got the recall valves, just curious.

Cheers

Kev

I'm pretty sure nearly all VWs from that era were recalled because of this fault. I know that my mate's Passat was, my 16V 'rado was and all of the MKII golfs I've had were, dunno about Polos or any of the others that they made at the time though...

After just doing a quick Google, the recall affected cars made after 85 and came in to affect in '92, so I'd guess that cars after 92 aren't affected as they'd have had the valves fitted as standard... 8)

When my MK2 did the matrix, VW replaced it but didn't fit the valves. The fella said it was a modified matrix and wouldn't leak.

Gavin

there ya go Kev, that's why you haven't got the valves then! 8)

Another mystery solved... :lol:

...and with no pesky meddling kids involved! :wink: :lol:

I have now checked everthing and it has even had a nice day out at the local VW dealers, so how do u remove the matrix. nay ideas. I dont really want to let vw do it as i like my arms and legs......