Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Land Rover 101 Ambulance: Back off and on ground Pg3

The ones I drove years ago from time to time were the ambulance version.

Do yourself a favour & get it LPG'd, aprox £1000 well spent.

Looked at the mileage of my Discovery last week, a 1994 M plate - 150K

The Corrado, a 1991 on an H Plate - 130K. Older car, lower mileage, Bonus!

Hope you guys have many happy miles

Kev

Ended up in the back of the ambulance version a couple of times, never got to drive on though!

Been thinking of buying one myself and buggering off in it, almost got the funds together now so starting to look.

You may have already found it but this is quite a useful site:

1 Tonne F.C

finally started work on the beast!

DSC00924.jpg

757d_1.jpg

to:

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

DSC01612.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

got a 300tdi engine to go in now, just got to decide on a gearbox.

Its got 28yrs of dirt/mud on it, so looks old and crusty but its actually really solid still. So carrying on stripping it and then doing a complete nut and bolt rebuild.

Its more like my works forum, :)

300 tdi is a good choice mate, fair bullet proof and easy to repair anywhere..

Oversize intercooler and tweaking the fuel pump will make it a much livlier beast..

paul

Its more like my works forum, :)

300 tdi is a good choice mate, fair bullet proof and easy to repair anywhere..

Oversize intercooler and tweaking the fuel pump will make it a much livlier beast..

paul

thats what we have been looking at :) i think the aim is to get it to about 200bhp.

its got drum brakes all round at the moment, thinking of getting a front disk conversion for it

that thing is off key!! really good looking at what your up to, your not doing things by half are ya :lol:

cant wait to see what else your going to do to it, will be awesome!!

:D

If you get stuck for parts or require items for expedition etc give my work a look at devon4x4.com

With the egr crap removed and the fuel collar ditched it will certainly be more crisp.

Got the chassis right out today and lowered the rear cab to the ground (which was pretty damn scary with the tools we had) but we got it down and no one was hurt.

DSC01616.jpg

engine 3.5 v8, found out this was put in during 1996

DSC01617.jpg

some army stuff written on seat base - anyone know what it means?

DSC01618.jpg

back on the ground

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01620.jpg

STANCE!

DSC01621.jpg

doner vehicle in background

DSC01622-1.jpg

Haven't seen anything that good in years. About 10 years ago I had a family friend who had an old army Land Rover fire engine, probably from the same era. That stayed as a fire engine though and we basically rebuilt the pump so it could do demo's at land rover meets.

Helped he had friends at the Dunsfold land rover museum (great place if you've never been - loads of spares to)

That is so cool. :clap: What colour are you going to paint it?

I can only think of one way that you got the cab on the ground and I wouldn't have liked to have helped! :shock:

Haven't seen anything that good in years. About 10 years ago I had a family friend who had an old army Land Rover fire engine, probably from the same era. That stayed as a fire engine though and we basically rebuilt the pump so it could do demo's at land rover meets.

Helped he had friends at the Dunsfold land rover museum (great place if you've never been - loads of spares to)

Edit: In fact, where did you get that from? Dunsfold DLR have one for sale according to there website, on behalf of a customer.

"A very rare 101 VAMPIRE, the only one in existence on a pre-production chassis - LHD No. 4, 1972. Tax exempt. Very good condition on brand new Michelin tyres. Rewired engine and dash panel."

They also have one of these for sale

"One of 64 Judge Dredd Landrovers built by DLR for the film. This particular vehicle is RHD and 12V and as is ex film set, including the 4 fibreglass wheel extensions! Also included are spare parts for the hull saved from the scrap, part of one side and half a nose cone! The vehicle is one of the rarer ones, not being a City Cab.... it is in fact a massage parlour! "

the vampires are really rare and sought after, but by army collectors.

we got the ambulance from a guy about 3 miles away and it was half the price of all the others we looked at :D deffo did well there.

we went to the LRO show last year to check out a few.

DSC01082.jpg

DSC01081.jpg

a judge dredd one

DSC01085.jpg

think we might be painting it orange and black, then maybe art some artwork to it

If you need spares or whatever for your trip then look up http://www.dunsfold.com/

These are the people that built the 64 vehicles used in Judge Dredd, they have a pretty awesome spares collection to (I've been around the stores).

They have quite a few unusual ones in the collection, and a lot of very rare pre-production or concept models.