boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

I thought the stub axle end was an M20 metric fine, that looks like a standard m20 die.

would it not be just as cheap and easy to get a new outer cv joint and stub?

Edit:[strike:3v3dfxbf]It's a front hub he needs to re-thread, not a stub axle.[/strike:3v3dfxbf] Interesting to hear that the stub is an M20 fine thread... [strike:3v3dfxbf]Would expect the fronts to use the same.[/strike:3v3dfxbf]

Edit: Oops, think I recall that the front hubs have a stub too - my bad :salute:

Yes, it probably will be now and yes you're right about the fine and normal M20... really should have paid more attention in CAD! :brickwall:

Oh well, back to square one I guess.

P.S. yeah bro, I think that's what the 2.5 on the die means, 2.5mm pitch as opposed to something like a 1.25 or 1.5 which the hub nut looks like.

P.P.S. the outer CV is a kind of stub axle. It's funnel shaped, with the cage and bearings sitting in the conical end, and the pointy end being the threaded and splined part.

no sorry, i meant the front hub outer thread is an m20 metric fine, it appears like he has an m20 by 2.5 mm pitch die which is the standard m20 pitch

i think the fine is something like 1.5mm pitch

outer CVs seem to be £25 + postage and that's not even a VAG item :shock:

Edit: this would be a reeeallly good time to be able to split the shafts off my spare wheel hubs... :brickwall:

no sorry, i meant the front hub outer thread is an m20 metric fine, it appears like he has an m20 by 2.5 mm pitch die which is the standard m20 pitch

i think the fine is something like 1.5mm pitch

:salute: :salute: :salute:

I wasn't sure whether the mallet I was using to drive the outer CV back on the shaft after replacing the circlip caught the thread slightly and it seems it did.

The last hubnut stripped it's first two reams of thread trying to go on, and this new nut is refusing to bite at all.

Pretty common. VW used some kind of loctite on the splines of the stub and in the wheel bearing making it hard to get off. To get mine off I was seriously smacking it as hard as I could which a lump hammer and drift for ages. This resulted in the end of the stub "belling" out and I couldn't gett he nut back on. I had to use an angle grinder to remove the belling and then a thread file to clean the thread up, major PITA that took a few hours. Good job they left plenty of thread on the end of the stub eh.

Best to use a puller (they sell one for this task that bolts on with the wheel bolts) next time.

If it wasnt a sunday when I was doing mine I would have happily paid 25 to save a couple of hours greif. Depends if you enjoy fixing these things but I was frustrated with the job that was onluy supposed to take an hour taking more like 7 hours.

I wasn't sure whether the mallet I was using to drive the outer CV back on the shaft after replacing the circlip caught the thread slightly and it seems it did.

The last hubnut stripped it's first two reams of thread trying to go on, and this new nut is refusing to bite at all.

Pretty common. VW used some kind of loctite on the splines of the stub and in the wheel bearing making it hard to get off. To get mine off I was seriously smacking it as hard as I could which a lump hammer and drift for ages. This resulted in the end of the stub "belling" out and I couldn't gett he nut back on. I had to use an angle grinder to remove the belling and then a thread file to clean the thread up, major PITA that took a few hours. Good job they left plenty of thread on the end of the stub eh.

Best to use a puller (they sell one for this task that bolts on with the wheel bolts) next time.

What kind of puller do you mean? Is it similar to the one used to remove a wheel bearing race?

If it wasnt a sunday when I was doing mine I would have happily paid 25 to save a couple of hours greif. Depends if you enjoy fixing these things but I was frustrated with the job that was onluy supposed to take an hour taking more like 7 hours.

Yeah, to be honest I just sold my 50mm inlet manifold, so I'm thinking I might use the money from that to order a new CV joint. Will need another 8p circlip as they're a must-replace part! :nuts:

What kind of puller do you mean? Is it similar to the one used to remove a wheel bearing race?

Is it this one? :scratch:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfTool VW3194 erwin.jpg[/attachment:2enng1o3]

Tool VW3194.jpg[/attachment:2enng1o3]

You could ask Dave at Kidlington for a price - he ordered my clutch disk centralisator for me :grin:

Edit: looks like you need VW295a also...

Outer CV was posted today, so should be here tomorrow (although hoping not, as I may not be in to sign for it what with the resit and all) or preferably wednesday.

Also got the Tax renewal to sort at the end of the month; if things are still looking bleak it will get SORN'd.

Blimey, that IS cheap! CHeers was8v, looks like we're even on the help front :salute: :lol:

Yep used them a few times, first for peugeot 306 wishbones and again for Corrado Vr6 wishbones (reasonable quality Quinton hazel parts). Prices are ex vat and delivery is always 7.50 though. http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

*bookmarks*

I need a whole set of tools tbh, my main stuff got robbed out of My jetta over a year ago, which has left me with some set of 1/2" drive sockets 8-19mm, a spattering of spanners and a few random other bits and bobs :shrug:

Outer CV just arrived! Good timing DHL :salute:

Will pop that fella on this afternoon and go for a drive (the first in almost a week! Can you say cold turkey? :gag:)

image068fc1.jpg

Doesn't come with a thrust bearing, and seemingly 2 hub nuts :scratch: but that's ok, the old thrust bearing is good enough to use.

image069yy6.jpg

For those who understand the engineering behind CV joints :luvlove: :lol:

Those pullers (hub/bearing) are dirt cheap from halfrauds btw. Nice CV :salute:

image071cl4.jpg

End of the driveshaft (without outer CV joint on) you can see the circlip groove very clearly.

image070vt9.jpg

Knackered old CV joint thread (Might get this lathed down/re-tapped as the joint is perfect still) and the little circlip which goes in the groove on the end of the driveshaft. The two then push together.

image072gx1.jpg

Old and new

image073hd2.jpg

Thrust bearing on the left, and concave washer on the right. These sit up past the circlip on the driveshaft.

image074pj4.jpg

Driveshaft greased up, boot slid on and out the way, plus thrust bearing and concave washer located correctly. Circlip in place and ready to go.

image075vo0.jpg

Outer CV started to push onto driveshaft, I made sure that I didn't catch the screw thread with the hammer this time :camp:

image076zl8.jpg

Outer CV joint then nudged backwards towards the bearing and concave washer, so the circlip has passed through the bearing cage and sprung back out the other side.

image077ux7.jpg

Rubber boot located around the fat end! Gave up on these CV clamps as I didn't have the proper pliers for them and so used S/Steel cable ties instead

image078ps0.jpg

All finished! I'm dubious as to whether these ties will hold the boot on, but I'll take it round the ring road later tonight and see if it wants to behave.

image079ak2.jpg

Located and ready to start torquing up again for the second time in as many weeks. Who wants to play spot the new part?

image080yx3.jpg

Please work now... :cry:

End of the day, I still need to find out whether the bearing in this hub is any good or whether I should get the spare hub re-bearing'd and then swap it out... again! :sad: :sad:

:clap: Good work that man!

Oh and you do realise your current thread title is open to some abuse; "... an odd sensation" :camp:

I kinda do... I have a Nokia :lol:

better than nothing I guess, this one seems pretty good from the stuff I have taken. Auto-Focus helps a LOT :cheers: