boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Still fingertight at the mo, but the LBJ is pretty snug so won't fall out. Still need to tighten up the TREs and the camber bolts, not really too sure whereabouts they should be (although it'll only be for the short drive to the alignment place).

Suspensionz

image005hh1.jpg

Offside strut came off easy peasy. Massive thanks to G60_edge aka Alex for loan of an awesome re-engineered/adapted 22mm drop ring spanner :salute: :notworthy: :clap:

image006mp5.jpg

Kinda looks a bit grubby though, don't you think...?

image007kc5.jpg

image008pq8.jpg

image009ky0.jpg

Ahhhh, much better :grin: very quick job with soapy water and a nylon brush followed by a quick wipe down. Didn't go behind the arch liners, but it'll do for now.

image026lk2.jpg

Old vs New. I did wonder whether I should have moved the boot over from the bottom of the old bumpstop boots, but VAGCAT and the Bentley showed assembly with just the bumpstop and concertina boot so I left it off. Boot covers whole piston travel anyways... I did push the bumpstop up so that it was sitting under the spring top plate though :salute: :salute:

image030dp7.jpg

The problem top mount. 7mm inset allen head rounded/exploded out and was useless so I broke out the power tools :nuts: Don't wanna cut into the chassis mount though... :scratch:

image031fx7.jpg

Much better, a quick jackage under the LBJ and the whole plate was lifted 1/4" off the chassis.

image032qp0.jpg

Have at thee, mountage! Dremel suffered many disc losses in this procedure... :roll:

image033wh8.jpg

And another chunk gone...

image043mq9.jpg

Strut rotated for ease of cutting...

image044oq5.jpg

BBBZZZZEEEIIIIUUUWWWWWW...*flumf* crap, another broken disc... keep going...

image045mo1.jpg

Winning.... :clap:

image046aj3.jpg

Suspensi-own :cheers: Dropped nicely out the bottom after that!

image047yd8.jpg

image048pw9.jpg

image051zq0.jpg

Quick brush and wipe-down again. Advisable to keep crud out of the brake hose joint as I will have to get those undone soon... :shock:

image052py4.jpg

mmm, matt (black) :luvlove:

image054tr1.jpg

image055mo8.jpg

View from under front of car

image061kv0.jpg

image062ol0.jpg

Top mount plates went on very easily, didn't have to compress the springs any further which was awesome. Still need to torque those nuts up.

So....just the rear beam and the cross member / rad support panel to go now then.

Top strut mounts, camber bolts, track rod end and lower ball joint bolts all torqued up to spec now :salute:

Had to turn the LBJ bolts round as the bolts should be pointing towards the BACK of the car, as are the camber bolts.

Yes very handy mate. cheers!

Learnt the hard way that NEW top nuts are 21mm.... very very annoyed, but the spanner still worked so cheers very much.

Door update? ;)

Ordered the wrong water pump pulley! What a legend I am :nuts:

Now have a new/spare smaller pulley that runs the PAS pump and have ordered the following:

which is:

pulley / F 50-N-005 646>>

/ PG,2E,ADY

aka the latest large water pump pulley. VAGCAT says it's 12 Euros so it DEFFO won't be a clutched one, but that is cool (clutched/idler ones are 50+ euros) so I should be able to have the water pump done by the weekend all being well!

Ouch, freshness ahoy!

image000yj9.jpg

Boxes o' fun.

image001xv5.jpg

Handbrake cables and rear shocks. Turbos up front, advantage at the back.

image006si0.jpg

Ace :grin: Forgot the shocks would come with lower spring plates so I'm taking the VAG ones back (£10 each!)

image002fn4.jpg

Box of the other bits - brake suspension and drivetrain items.

image003qa2.jpg

Suspension - bumpstops, boots, spring top plates and all 4 rubber mounts

image004lz8.jpg

Rear bushes and fixings - didn't know these would come with their "ears" on, do I need to modify my beam to fit them?

image005dn2.jpg

Brakes - flexi hoses, discs, pads, bearing kits and 1 stub axle (other one still in Germany).

All for less than £280 delivered :salute:

All I need now is copper brake lines and the brake pressure regulator and I have EVERYTHING for the rear beam :clap:

Went round to pick up my water pump pulley, STILL THE WRONG PART!!1!!!!!omg.

Got matey bob to order the OFFICIAL ETKA item so if it's wrong now it's Germany's fault (joke, i'm not racist).

Did get a nice £40 refund for the 2 spring plates and wrong pulley though :clap:

J-unit.

nice - it's great getting shiny new stuff to put on :)

the bushes for the rear beam bushes come like that - they are pressed in like that too - you will see when you get your rear beam off. you don't need to do anything special with them or modify the beam to make them fit.

Cheers pete,

if you flick back a few pages you will see I have a fresh new beam to build up, but it has empty "ears" on? perhaps previous owner cut the rubber bush part out and left the ears on the bar. Didn't realise they needed removing! Just tried hitting one of them with a hammer, made a satisfying CLANG sound but didn't budge....hmmm..

Will prob farm rear bush fitting out to the garage!

yeah good plan - not a job to be done on your own unless you have the right kit. powerflex bushes etc are easy to fit on your own but OE jobbies are swines.

it would probably be a good idea to leave the old sleeves in the beam to make sure that the garage press the new ones in with the correct orientation.

and yeah - it's easier to cut/burn the old rubber out and then remove the old sleeve by putting a hacksaw blade through it and making a small cut to relieve the tension between the sleeve and the beam so you can knock it out.

Ron is gonna be amazing when your finished (mind you, a Corrado is never 'finished'!). Always nice to get a box of shiny new bits in the post 8)

Cheers Andy, yeah I'm hoping it'll drive much much better. Gonna look like a pram over winter until I can sort some nice springs, but it'll still be better than before. Just the drivetrain to sort after this!

:lol: you're right about never being finished, always something else you want to do!

how is the VRS working out? RARB en route I hear? ;)

The RS is great. Mid range torque is fantastic since the remap- reckon it's prob faster in a straight line than any of my VR6s. Will hopefully find time to fit the RARB this weekend- bit difficult finding time for these things when your up to your eyes in nappies though!

Weren't the springs I got for you any good? They looked just the job.

Ah yeah, number two has arrived! good work :D

Fraid not matey, they were a LOT softer than standard, I could fully compress them by standing on it! The standards compress about 1" and then go rock hard, so they've gone on the front and will go on the back too. I managed to move that kit on though so it's all good

After our discovery of a lack of the E/W control module, Prodigal bought me one on the sly :salute: :notworthy: what a bro! He also bought me some window looms from Mrbiege too :cheers: Only thing I was missing was the loom from fusebox to module in the rear doorcard...enter my spare loom:

image007pt7.jpg

Pulled this from the breaker before we cut it up, a very good idea I think!

image009qp7.jpg

Located loom section I need. Cool :D

image010mn4.jpg

Decided to tidy up the rest of the loom; seperated it too where applicable. Hoping to label all these bits up so we know what they are for. Not bad for an electro-tard huh :lol:

I'll need to sort the windows for the MOT anyways, so might as well add it to the list of things to do :salute:

Do you think I am weird enough? :nuts:

VR6, i'm trying to find the chunk of loom that i'm missing that runs from fusebox to E/W and C/L module as shown in the pics. Prodigal worked out that the nasty taped up relays under my steering wheel are currently what is controlling windows and locks.

No wonder I got locked in that time...

I'm just sorting out my PAS now. I've got all the PAS hoses from the breaker (and the rebuilt rack) and AFAICT the PAS pump should still work with late hoses... :scratch:

I might bung my early hoses up on a forum somewhere, they'll be Mk2 Golf/Early C spec and worth £200 new :shock: although I won't ask that much.