boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

To Do List

Small things:

Paint offside caliper and replace piston seals (see pic below)

Clean out rear wheelarches,

Order reel/s of copper brake line,

Assemble shock absorbers (pre-requisite coil springs not here yet)

Clean up rear beam brackets,

fit new CM and RSP along with front engine mount,

fit PAS lines and route through RSP,

clean up and refit PAS pump,

waxoyl front and rear hub stoneshields,

attach front stoneshields,

paint/prep front NS hub,

Big things (not Westwood):

Fit new brake lines with help from Pete_griff,

Waxoyl front end (wishbones, cavity in rad support panel, etc)

Attach rear beam,

Assemble stub axles et al on rear beam,

Get MOT.

And teh pics:

image016xj4.jpg

Will be painting my good OS caliper tomorrow and replacing the seals. But, is it ok to run a girling and a lucas caliper?

image055dn0.jpg

How the arch started...

image019zz5.jpg

image020xv7.jpg

image021gh2.jpg

Rear arch cleaning has commenced. Not amazingly easy with a brush and cloth, but it's not too bad.

image024oi1.jpg

image025li1.jpg

image026ws8.jpg

image027ny1.jpg

Cleaned the inside of the arch lip really well. Definitely do not want to have to get new ones welded in :nono:

image028fc5.jpg

Chassis design leads to a nasty water trap up top in the arch. I guess it's not too bad as it's on top of the sealer after all.

More pics as and when.

OH yeah, started the car up yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks. Still got switch issues, but it ran up fine after missing a little to begin with. Left it to idle until the oil was at 66 and then shut it down.

Cheers to everyone who helped with this issue, cookies and group hug to follow.

image036st3.jpg

Soaked the bolts in the good stuff and let to stand for 5 minutes. Next, attacked with the Erwin at 50% torque to avoid shearing. Voila.

image037jk4.jpg

All 3 loosened up real nice, so I MC Hammer'd round the edge to mark the bracket out plus sprayed through the hole as a locator.

image039yz7.jpg

Guess who :wave:

image044ve3.jpg

Stencil seemed to work quite well, think i'll waxoyl the chassis under here after I sort that little patch out.

image040zs9.jpg

and it's off.

image041rp3.jpg

Had to snip the hardline going to the OSR bracket mount. This is routed under the heatshield UNDER the exhaust so having a small poolet trying to work out how i'll replace that one easily. Maybe drop the box off: it needs a new clamp on it anyways!

image042mn0.jpg

Which one should I put back on? :bonk:

Where are you doing your degree? I had a place on the first Masters in Motorsport Eng @ Cranfield but sadly I couldnt afford to do it.

I'm at Oxford Brookes. I was going to change to the MEng but i'm not so sure now. The workload is quite high already and the teacher's aren't really helping at all!

I never did a Masters but the best thing to do is look at future jobs and see if it will help you. The Masters for my Mech Eng degree was basically just the same amount of work as the BEng final year but spread over two years rather than one.

Good work with the car by the way.

Did the carriers earlier today:

image035lz3.jpg

Thought blocking up the bolt holes with Blu-Tac would be a good idea! Masking tape on the pin sliders.

image038qd4.jpg

Think I found the culprit of the seized caliper - guide pin on the far right. Will need replacing!

image043gc4.jpg

All sprayed up. Took aaaages+2 to dry though, still not sure why.

image045ym5.jpg

Finished. I really hope these lucas carriers are ok with Girling calipers! They seem to line up...blu-tac was a mofo to get out too!

Finished. I really hope these lucas carriers are ok with Girling calipers! They seem to line up...blu-tac was a mofo to get out too!

Did the paint solvent make the Blu-tac go all sticky :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm at Oxford Brookes. I was going to change to the MEng but i'm not so sure now. The workload is quite high already and the teacher's aren't really helping at all!

Think I know a few peeps at Oxford Brookes. Got no idea how big it is so don't know if its likely you'd know them. One is obsessed with his Uno Turbo. :camp:

Did the paint solvent make the Blu-tac go all sticky :lol: :lol: :lol:

It actually did! :? not the best plan I ever had but ho hum.

Think I know a few peeps at Oxford Brookes. Got no idea how big it is so don't know if its likely you'd know them. One is obsessed with his Uno Turbo. :camp:

:awesome: so when the turbo spools, it'll pull the shoddy rusted chassis apart! :clap:

We had a talk last thursday night about performance aspects of cars, and how you can't just sling a set of springs on a car and expect it to handle as they ideally should be matched to the damper rates etc. Then he referenced Halfords / Ripspeed spring kits and how chavs think they're amazing when they put these on. I kid you not, one row of people sat behind me looked like this:

:oops: :lol: :cry: :lol: :oops: :scratch: :oops: :confused: :pale: :oops: :mad2: :lol: :oops:

It was awesome.

:awesome: so when the turbo spools, it'll pull the shoddy rusted chassis apart! :clap:

We had a talk last thursday night about performance aspects of cars, and how you can't just sling a set of springs on a car and expect it to handle as they ideally should be matched to the damper rates etc. Then he referenced Halfords / Ripspeed spring kits and how chavs think they're amazing when they put these on. I kid you not, one row of people sat behind me looked like this:

:oops: :lol: :cry: :lol: :oops: :scratch: :oops: :confused: :pale: :oops: :mad2: :lol: :oops:

It was awesome.[/quote:1g3rvdk0]

haha :lol: - that's brilliant about the 'candidates' behind you! - i love talking to people like that who will believe anything that the marketers tell them! i overheard a bloke in the pub a while back claim that he had a 200bhp 205 gti - it still had the 1.9 engine in, with no headwork, bottom end work, forced induction or anything - but according to him "it would eat porches for breakfast!" :lol:

- you just can't write it!

anyway.... tried to give you a ring ref brake lines a mintue ago - if you get in touch with me (the sooner the better) then we can sort something out. i'll be going home next around thursday and i'll be wanting to crack on with my own car as much as possible before i go back to work; but i'm sure i can spare some time to get you squared away if you let me know when you want to do it.....

hope all is well anyway, wait to hear from you....

(good updates as usual!)

Pete

:)

he referenced Halfords / Ripspeed spring kits and how chavs think they're amazing when they put these on. I kid you not, one row of people sat behind me looked like this:

It was awesome.

Fantastic, I'd loved to have seen that, a video would have been ace!! :lol:

one guy went bright bright red and we pretty much all mocked him! No idea what he drives though.

Oh and the guy with the blue G60 is on my course, so I will be harassing him soon.

Mate, you've got so many pictures on this thread now I bet you could print them all off and make a flick book of you fixing your car! :lol: Awesome stuff though, you appear to be doing a really thorough job. :D

Good work - I hope you like the car once you've done all this!

It will be like a new one and you'll have to keep it forever!

haha :lol: - that's brilliant about the 'candidates' behind you! - i love talking to people like that who will believe anything that the marketers tell them! i overheard a bloke in the pub a while back claim that he had a 200bhp 205 gti - it still had the 1.9 engine in, with no headwork, bottom end work, forced induction or anything - but according to him "it would eat porches for breakfast!" :lol:

- you just can't write it!

anyway.... tried to give you a ring ref brake lines a mintue ago - if you get in touch with me (the sooner the better) then we can sort something out. i'll be going home next around thursday and i'll be wanting to crack on with my own car as much as possible before i go back to work; but i'm sure i can spare some time to get you squared away if you let me know when you want to do it.....

hope all is well anyway, wait to hear from you....

(good updates as usual!)

Pete

:)

Hi mate, just seen the missed call! Sorry about that. Good to chat to you though :D will be in touch about stuff on Monday. :salute:

Mate, you've got so many pictures on this thread now I bet you could print them all off and make a flick book of you fixing your car! :lol: Awesome stuff though, you appear to be doing a really thorough job. :D

Yeah... :confused: I wasn't this thorough at all with my Mk2 and i really liked that :confused4: I guess the Corrado is next-level though :nuts: (god that sound cheesy)

Yeah, I have silly amounts of pictures now, probably into the hundreds :shrug:.

I just tried to pop my front mount onto the spare cross member but one of the bolts was the wrong one. Hmm. VAGCAT error.

Bit stuck at the mo until my springs arrive (cheers dave!) cos then I can knock up the rear struts quickly which will allow me to attach the rear beam to the car (i.e. don't want the trailing arms to trail onto the floor, hence putting suspension on) and the brakes can happen :grin:

kinda annoyed though as it's real nice weather today. I don't really want to put the front up on stands too as it's a :nono: for subsequent work under the car (PAS pump reinstall and hose routing). Back to the coursework I guess then.

It was awesome.

ROFL...it could be them, after all most of them used to work on the Ripseed counter in Halfrauds on da Purley Way boss!

I've known Uno boy (a chunky hyperactive loon called Mike)for about 3/4 years and in that time he has had the car on the road for a total of 3 months (he put it together then wrote it off and bought another shell), another is a highly racist Saffa called Pat who drives/drove a yellow MG and the another is an OK guy called Joel who drove a sh*tty Fiesta last time I saw him. Oh and maybe a highly grumpy sod of a Chelsea supporter called Matt.

None of them had any decent car taste, think some of them recently clubbed together to buy a Sierra Cossy (not sure if its a genuine one, they only paid 3k for it). Fools.

Well, being an ex-poly there are an awful amount of

11616_w.jpg

who think they're the

Color_Sponge_Rubber_Balls.jpg

and be all like:

blueyobig.jpg,

and you're like....

huhImage2.jpg...

Before you know it, they're braggin about their tight

1bullWhip.jpg

and how they're

helenthomas_badass.jpg.

So you go check out their

373625189_2291a650aa.jpg?v=0

and it seems they might have eaten some

gayjohnny00lj0.jpg

for lunch and washed it down with some

cocaine-drink.jpg

cos this here ride looks like a

little-tikes-coupe-car.jpg...

The suspension's all like

103514.jpg

Engine's all like

Sewing_Machine_1.jpg

Brakes are all like

MILKTOPS.JPG

Exhaust's all like

tarp9-tunnel.sm.jpg

It is one big

laugh460.jpg

and the whole thing needs to be

car-crusher-2a.jpg.

Please say :nono: to rice.jpg.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

must point out that there's nothing at all wrong with rice however (some brilliant cars), just the 'clientelle' who drive them :?

top post :D