boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Wasn't feeling tired, so went for a lap of the ring road and Ron was actually on top form tonight! I think the 5deg intake temps were helping a fair bit but it was an awesome drive.

Nice to get some confidence back in the old boy :cheers:

Dremels PWN wishbones.

Fact.

Pics to follow!

p.s. Phone pics, so maybe not look entirely like anything relevant :?

Ohhhhh yesss....... :dance:

Firstly, thanks to:

ProdigalSon for gratuitous use of tools whilst on hol,

CorradoVR6n.o.s. for suggesting cutting the wishbone out,

The rest of you who helped in some way (you know who you are!)

And onto the story...

So, it's a rainy day in Oxford, not much happening. Decide to go round to Prod's to pick up the dremel tool and crack on with this wishbone palava:

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfwish1.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

Started alright, but these black cutting discs were snapping AND wearing down really quick. I carried on until they were all dead, which got me here:

Book1.pdfwish2.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

Not very far really, although this is almost cut through to the rubber so not a bad attempt, although it did take a handful of discs!

I jump in Ron and head to B&Q where they have some Heavy-Duty cutting discs, so I pick these up (along with a 7mm HSS TiN drill bit i snapped previously) and head back here. The new discs are red, a tiny bit thicker and a lot more solid from first impressions....I crack on...

These heavy duty discs MUNCH the wishbone! Only one snapped on me (that's how rigid they are) and i only wore down 2 of the 20-pack doing this bit. I was gonna cut the wishbone further up as I had started, but I couldn't get in that far as the wishbone reached it's travel limit before there was clearance to fit the Dremel in the gap (even with the bendy extension thing!) After 30mins or so, I get to here:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfwish3.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

ETKA Corrado.pdfwish4.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfwish5.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

...which is pretty damn good and a testament to the heavy duty discs I picked up. Luckily I had cut close enough to the bush so that this free bush piece would rotate 360degrees on the stubby bolt that I failed to extract last time. This meant I could cut the bush out in halves, and remove easily...Voila...

Corrado92.pdfwish6.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfwish7.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfwish8.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

As I only had the rubber bush and metal insert left at this point, I stopped for lunch aka a cup of tea. I was just too close to finishing so I carried on! :lol:

I forgot quite how thick the metal insert underneath the rubber was and it took me ages of stinking, burning acrid rubber smoke and a few more discs (purely cos the rubber gunked them up!) before I crack this little mofo off... this was definitely the highlight, look a how thick that metal insert is! :shock: :shock: :shock:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfwish9.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

So, now I am left with a subframe with just a snapped bolt in. I attempted to Bolt-Grabber it out, but no joy... Any thoughts? You can see how it has taken a Crescent Moon type of shape: this is directly related to my drilling-out attempts; I obviously wasn't square-on when I started drilling which is a shame, but then I had to drill THROUGH the bolt hole with the bush surrounding it, so had zero light helping me! Plus it moved around a little bit :bad-words:

wish11.JPG[/attachment:d7pzb9hi]

Overall, a quality and very productive afternoon. Once the bolt is out (whether it be cut off and hole retapped or by another means) I can start restoring it, so that will be awesome :clap:

Re the alt, if the fan is bent just buy a shiney new one, I remember Bananaman's one flying off at speed and denting the bonnet so worth replacing anyway!

(G60's have a cover but 16V's don't despite the external fan)

Hi suuuuppeeerrrcharged,

yeah the fan is catching on the boding and makes a scratchy ting-ting noise when you spin the pulley.

Do you know where I can get a new pulley/fan section from?

Thanks!

ok cool.

Looking at it again, I'm not convinced that it's only the pulley/fan that's bent, obviously these mount to a shaft and I'm thinking that the shaft may have been damaged also.

Prodigal has a small torch which I could use to try and get some heat into it, but I've never heated anything up to get it to move before.

What do I do? :confused4: :shrug:

Prodigal has a small torch which I could use to try and get some heat into it, but I've never heated anything up to get it to move before.

What do I do? :confused4: :shrug:

just heat the ba$tard up,and then try and undo it,oh and try not to get burnt. 8)

I need to find a good way of gripping the bolt still, even though it's not fully cylindrical the moles don't grab it. A Irwin 11mm started o do the trick, but just rounded the thread on the stuck bolt, and the 10mm Irwin is a tad too small.

I need to find a good way of gripping the bolt still, even though it's not fully cylindrical the moles don't grab it. A Irwin 11mm started o do the trick, but just rounded the thread on the stuck bolt, and the 10mm Irwin is a tad too small.

you can't hammer the 10mm one onto it?

Hey bro, good work so far :thumbleft:

To get some decent torque on the stud, why not drill a 3 or 4mm hole through it sideways and use the drill bit (once removed from the drill!) to get some purchase? You will probs dee-stroy the bit, but will have a really good grip on the remaining threaded part (could even hammer it?).

I have replacement inserts for the blowtorch and some Plusgas there too I think, so knock yourself out. Just watch out for lubricant and flame interactions :eek:

PS. so do I get to keep the remaining heavy duty cutting disks? :wink: :D

Hey bro, good work so far :thumbleft:

To get some decent torque on the stud, why not drill a 3 or 4mm hole through it sideways and use the drill bit (once removed from the drill!) to get some purchase? You will probs dee-stroy the bit, but will have a really good grip on the remaining threaded part (could even hammer it?).

I have replacement inserts for the blowtorch and some Plusgas there too I think, so knock yourself out. Just watch out for lubricant and flame interactions :eek:

PS. so do I get to keep the remaining heavy duty cutting disks? :wink: :D

I think the drill bit would just bend and snap, they're not particularly strong in shear.

I might just cut a new flat-top onto the bolt and then try to drill it out again s l o w l y and see what happens. At least I can see what I'm doing now.

P.S. yes you may, if i don't finish them! There's 8 left, but they last ~3-4 times as long as a standard black one.

I think the drill bit would just bend and snap, they're not particularly strong in shear.

Yeah, you'd know I guess (thanks for replacing the shattered 7mm)! :wink:

I might just cut a new flat-top onto the bolt and then try to drill it out again s l o w l y and see what happens. At least I can see what I'm doing now.

Or you could cut a slot or cross into the top and try to use a large flat or philips driver, end-on? Not sure if you'd get a 3/8ths extension in through the hole/gap though :scratch:

P.S. yes you may, if i don't finish them! There's 8 left, but they last ~3-4 times as long as a standard black one.

Cheers :)

Ok, so I heated the bolt up for what seemed like a lifetime, or until the surrounding metal got warm and the oily bits started smoking, still couldn't get a grip on it with Moles.

I tried the 10mm Irwin which bit and bit hard, but then eventually rounded the thread off the sticking out parts of the bolt.

So i resorted back to the Dremel. I cut big chunks of the bolt out with a view to trying to drill it again and got it pretty much flat despite only being able to cut in arcs to due to the restricted workspace.

Here it was after some preliminary drilling. The reason I couldn't penetrate any further last time was that the drill bit was catching on the subframe hole itself which is made of much harder metal and couldn't be drilled with my little Bosch, so the hole still offset unfortunately:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfdrill1.JPG[/attachment:3bnnrtbd]

As the amount of swarf confirmed that I was getting somewhere I continued, until this was all I had left:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfdrill2.JPG[/attachment:3bnnrtbd]

It's a shame the whole is offset, but there wasn't much I could do as the larger drill bits wouldn't bit on the raised section. I tried the stud extractor but still nothing, so i'm currently at this stage:

drill3.JPG[/attachment:3bnnrtbd]

Any ideas? Worth picking up a Snap-On flat headed stud extractor or not? Another good afternoon's work though despite not getting a usable hole at the end of it.

possibly... I could drill it out with a 10mm (used a 7mm on those pics) but that would completely remove the bolt AND trash whatever's left of the bolt thread on the subframe itself.

Hmm.

Hey bro, sorry if this is a bit incoherent - been to a Bajan party, had some drinkz... :drinking:

If you do drill the bolt and subframe thread too, there's a subframe thread extension kit you can order (see the Bentley) that will give you an extended thread IIRC...

You would have to use longer bolts, but would be possible - all the original part no's are listed in the workshop manual.

Good luck :D *hic*

Card got cloned recently, so no parts for me over the next week or so!

Have cancelled it and waiting for the new one to arrive :(

Engine stand bolts came today, thanks to Ravi for sending me a set and refusing payment for them! Absolute legend :notworthy: :clap: :D

So I may actually get around to putting the spare KR up on the stand at some point... :cuckoo: :drinking:

New card came today :clap: and i've beeen shoopppppiiinnnngggggg! :D

Got the nuts to go with the bolts Ravi sent me (cheers also to coolrado for the help :notworthy: )

Picked up some more Satin Black Hammerite for the steering rack(addicted :eek: - at £8.50 a can it's cheaper than heroine too...)

Got the steering rack grease finally (IT'S MASSIVE! like the size of your forearm :shock: -see pic )

Took steering rack internal seals back, mainly cos i'm not gonna use them and for the £25 refund! (that's right, when I go to VW, they give ME money... 8) :lol: )

Gave VW another list of bits (mainly bolts this time, now that the cross-member is done)

rack.JPG[/attachment:30beqvo7]

After the rack is sprayed and I'm happy with it, I'll threadlock the arms onto the rack and then start rebuilding.

A woo hoo! :cheers: :salute: