Neil VR6

New car acquired! Still German but not VW...

I just bought this VR:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/364799.htm

I'm picking it up on Saturday. Plan are limited to Lupo wipers, a headlamp loom and probably some new tyres. I'll take it to JMR soon for a once over and an oil change - the ABS light is also on. I'll post some of my own pics up once I take delivery and polish her up!

Very nice Neil, even if it does have the wrong engine in it :lol:, certainly looks like a well cared for example

Surprised you managed to stay away from a Corrado for so long

Nice to see you've returned to the fold at long last! Lovely looking VR there- perfectly modded too, so you don't have to do too much ;) Always liked that colour- perfect with the black leather 8)

Cheers guys - can't wait to get my hands on it. It's got KW Variant 1 coilies and the ride is absolutely superb - almost factory but turn -in's super sharp. There's nothing I want to do to it really although I need to think about stereo. It's dire at the moment. I'd like some Audioscape pods but they're £200!

The leather's in time-warp condition too. I can't wait to get it home and get busy with the Zymol!

Are there any receipts there from Ellie at voodo motorsport? for the coilovers, bmc etc?

Pm me if youd prefer. If its the same car i know a fair bit about it

Gav

I saw you last year near Bromley in the Golf :-)

The car's had a fair bit spent on it at Voodoo. They did the top end rebuild on the engine - it's had new chains, tensioner, and valve guides done. Presumably the HG went as it seems to be a common VR problem on higher mileage engines.

Picked up the VR yesterday and drove the 80 odd miles back. It felt really good and pulls really nicely. The noise is also highly addictive - although I'm sure it'll wear off after having to fill up again; £67!!!! (and that was 95 RON)

After going to the Pistonheads Sunday Service meet this morning (and being the only 'Rado there) I gave her a good going over with a Megs clay bar, some Zymol Cleaner Wax and some "Wet n' Black" trim detailer. Who thought of that name?

The wheels are in OK condition but could really do with a re-furb. I'll have them off soon and get the baked on brake dust off with some Wonder Wheels. It's not a product I use regularly but every few months it really gets the hard stuff off. I'll also treat the leather.

2272382696_d943bdbb76.jpg

2272382324_5ffb5b360b.jpg

Next up a trip to JMR for a check over, oil and coolant change, Lupo wipers and headlight mod :) (and hopefully nothing else!)

Cheers 8) Yeah, I love the Speedlines too - very hard to improve on IMO unless you spend big bucks on split BBSs or summat. About 100 times easier to clean too!

Went over the car yesterday with some Swissol Onyx as it was a nice hot day - that wax seems to favour baking hot paintwork so it can properly cure before being polished off:

2467029873_396692d521.jpg

2467031467_f8750ba1c7.jpg

2467026525_e059dca5e7.jpg

2467844090_0205fcc4e0.jpg

Grey seems quite rare I gather 8)

It's time to kit the VR out in all of the stereo gear I've got:

Alpine CDA 7873R

Alpine MRD-M500 mono amp

Alpine MRV-T420 stereo amp

Genesis 6.5 inch Audiophile components

I bought some Audioscape pods and a sub enclosure from Cheesewire (thanks again Kev) 8)

I also had to buy a new sub which came in the form of a new Diamond Audio D310D2 (A big :notworthy: to Huets):

It was only £130 but looks to be fantastic quality and the magnets are huge!

2494735549_5ed2895c67.jpg

2495555292_d371540cd7.jpg

It rests really nicely in the box too and is even slightly recessed:

2494731741_fa0ce33801.jpg

Saturday is the day when I'll really go to town on the install and sound deaden the doors, run the cables and do something about the amps.

I'm not sure about where to put the amps. I had them on the back of the rear seats last time in the G60 but I'd really like to be able to through-load with the seats down on this install. I was thinking of making a rack for the right side of the boot opposite the sub. Any input gratefully received!

looks like u got some good gear there , done mine little while ago and i still havnt decided where to put my amp :cuckoo: its just sitting in the boot another job i must get done :roll: anyway good luck with it .

Cheers, it's been in about 3 cars now - certainly the amps anyway. I might end up with them on the seat back again I reckon. I'll still have loads of boot space and it should look quite choice

nice, grey is good!!!

Looks like the grey i've got which is 'storm grey'

I'd go along with that. Although it looked a slightly different grey in the very first pics...hmm

After many hours of toil the stereo's in!

Sub box in first of all. Ended up using a long self tapper and going into a hole I drilled via one of those spring-steel clips you always get with speakers:

2516953758_2c3efcb614.jpg

Sub all in nice (plus gratuitous shot of Dad's Alfa):

2516130825_20840d7122.jpg

A spot of door dismantling:

2516953226_5e33ee0fbb.jpg

One door done (4 layers beneath the crash bar)

2516130231_36b2d4a35a.jpg

And finally all done with loads of boot space and spare wheel access:

2516952854_ff6cc9c857.jpg

It sounds great although I need to play with the M500's different settings to get the best from the sub I think. It sounds great though. "Forever I May Roam" by Metallica sounds particularly lively! :grin:

The stereo won't remember any of my settings though once I remove the key from the ignition. It's OK if you turn the stereo on and off whilst keeping the key in the ignition but when you take the key out and then but it back in a fire up the stereo again it goes back to jhey demo mode and forgets all my settings :shrug: :scratch: