Sign in to follow this  
glen

R32 engine

I have a chance of getting a r32 engine very cheap, but just the engine..... is there over ways of getting it in my vr6 apart from with ecu, clocks, loom, pedals etc....

Roughly, I'd reckon on about a £1000 for purchase, fitting and a basic map to get you going if you bought an Emerald. It may be slightly more or slightly less, and will depend also whether you have someone fit it or not. DTA is more expensive to buy, I think.

DTA S80's are £850 - £900 + loom. They do come with an ECU plug though.

Emeralds are about £600 + loom.

If you're half decent with a soldering iron and know a bit about electrics, then it's not difficult making you're own loom. All the proper DTA and VW pins and plugs etc are easily available and cheap.

If you wait a bit longer, the DTA will support Drive By Wire and CAN communications.

TBH that would be the best way to run an R32 in a 2WD car. The VW management talks to too many peripheral components and will go into limp mode if they're not plugged in.

I've looked at the R32's cam control and I think the DTA can control that, aswell as the manifold flap.

It's probably the best £900 you'll spend on the project tbh. R32 engines released from the strangle hold of the Emission controls are quite something.....

a little less than what i expected, would a garrage like the phirm do it all for me if i just supplied the engine... because my limit is a service!

If the Phirm have solid standalone experience and knowledge, then yep, I'm sure it's something they could do.

JKM in Southampton, Stealth Racing in warwickshire and Steve Greenald and Dave Walker in Norfolk all have experience of mapping R32s.

There are certain idiosyncracies about some standalones that only experienced people will have knowledge of. Without it, it will cost you shed loads in troubleshooting and research!

If you're looking for a drive-in, drive-out service, it'll cost you !!

I looked into this a while ago when I was offered a Mk5 R32 lump, Storm Developments have a ''off the shelf'' Emerald they have developed with Dave Walker. Andy at storm said to me just sit it on the mounts (you will need to plumb it in too) get the car to me and leave £1350 and he will do the rest :lol:

I think you will also need an Alfa TB to get around the fly by wire throttle.

now im very tempted!

So was I... :lol:

Give Storm Developments a call, I have always found them very aproachable and usually very helpful.

As I said it was some time ago when I spoke to them but I thought it was reasonable at the time, that said decent R32 lumps arent cheap!

That's £1350 for the ECU install and does not include the R32 engine ;-)

That isn't actually that cheap tbh, especially as Storm don't do the mapping (but take the credit for it).

sounds cheap to me. thats not alot for someone to install the ecu and wiring, potenially alot of time there. at 30 quid an hour or so, it wont take long to knock up the £'s in labour

I looked into this a while ago when I was offered a Mk5 R32 lump, Storm Developments have a ''off the shelf'' Emerald they have developed with Dave Walker. Andy at storm said to me just sit it on the mounts (you will need to plumb it in too) get the car to me and leave £1350 and he will do the rest :lol:

I think you will also need an Alfa TB to get around the fly by wire throttle.

If it's a Mk4 R32 engine then it's a bargain, but I'd take what Storm say with a pinch of salt. They're knowledgable guys, but do have a tendancy to exaggerate quite a bit.

If it's a Mk5 R32 engine, they're talking out of their backsides as it's FSI lump and needs a completely different ECU to run it, which doesn't yet exist apart from the factory VAG one.

well i may be able to get a mk4 r32 lump for £500! so will be cheap!

got to wait till the weekned to find out, then ill pull his arm off!

how do you get around the 4 wheel drive then on these ? dont realy know much about them tbh, but it could be an option if i dont fix the vr lump.

At least you know the price is fixed, I reckon that's not bad at all, having thought it would work out more expensive, almost wish I had done that now! (still ongoing) Fitting the engine is actually quite easy, as it's the same block more or less depending on how OE you want it to look. You can either buy the downpipe off storm developments or make your own up. Buy a tee for the oil sender, and swap your VR6 thermostat housing over, rear engine mount, customise the front mount bracket as Dutch has shown. If you don't mind having an induction kit then you have no problems as it has a nice bit of space over the g'box to sit in. Well worth it I think, especially given the performance & reliability, thats 300ish bhp without charging it. :lol: And it sounds great.

whats a rough going rate for a good engine then ? sounds like a worth while swap if its more reliable then the 2.9 8)

The R32 engines seem to go for about a grand still, plus another couple of hundred quid for the gearbox if you so want.

As engine conversions go, it is pretty straight forward, but it's not just going to cost you that much to do the swap. For a start you then need another £700+ for an after market ECU, custom gearbox mount, custom driveshafts, gearbox modification parts to make the 'box 2WD, custom downpipe, custom loom and it soon adds up.

I priced up doing an R32 conversion on mine with the 6-speed 02M box, running on Emerald with a Storm Development exhaust manifold (£300ish I think) and the total for just the parts came to £5,000.

you do indeed need the custom downpipe - but that is now an off the shelf item from storm.

also by far the simplest way of doing it is just to retain the existing corrado box - your vr6 box will bolt straight onto the r32 lump, then there's no need for custom mounts/driveshafts etc etc.

it is a bit crap remaining 5 speed admittedly when you are going to the trouble of doing an engine swap, but it's LOTS more work if you are adament you want it to be 6 speed.

the expensive bits as dinkus rightly says are the engine and the ecu. however if you are even slightly proficient with a soldering iron, making up a loom is really quite easy - just follow the instructions from the wiring diagrams and you can't go wrong.

the good thing about going standalone is that you don't have to worry about gay things like getting the clocks and all sorts of other crap with the engine when you buy it - all you will need is the pedal box from the original car for the drive by wire and everything else you can sort quite easily yourself.

plus it's a big bonus having a system that you can fiddle with yourself with a laptop in the car!

you do indeed need the custom downpipe - but that is now an off the shelf item from storm.

also by far the simplest way of doing it is just to retain the existing corrado box - your vr6 box will bolt straight onto the r32 lump, then there's no need for custom mounts/driveshafts etc etc.

it is a bit crap remaining 5 speed admittedly when you are going to the trouble of doing an engine swap, but it's LOTS more work if you are adament you want it to be 6 speed.

the expensive bits as dinkus rightly says are the engine and the ecu. however if you are even slightly proficient with a soldering iron, making up a loom is really quite easy - just follow the instructions from the wiring diagrams and you can't go wrong.

the good thing about going standalone is that you don't have to worry about gay things like getting the clocks and all sorts of other crap with the engine when you buy it - all you will need is the pedal box from the original car for the drive by wire and everything else you can sort quite easily yourself.

plus it's a big bonus having a system that you can fiddle with yourself with a laptop in the car!

Nothing beats fiddling with yourself with a laptop in the car...

Nothing beats fiddling with yourself with a laptop in the car...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe i'll check over my posts a little more carefully in future! - children!