Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

Choosing a company car..

It's a couple of months away, but I'll have to pick a company car soon. The base car is an Astra, 5 door, metallic paint and air con. No one in the company has the Astra, you can basically have any car you want so long as its got 4 doors and a decent sized boot, you just pay the extra. The pricing in the system looks at maintenace costs, depreciation, among other things, the company who runs the scheme also get some pretty good discounts on cars, so more expensive cars dont actually cost that much to have if you know what I mean. We get an allowance on the amount of miles we do, as we all vary abit, I dont know what mine will be but I have a good idea. The more miles you do, more money you get, but obviously the higher the maintenance costs - not always proportional. You can also pick an ex demo so long as its got less than 10k and is under a year old - so massive savings can be made there.

Anyway cars I'm thinking about:

Jetta 2.0Tdi - bit boring though

Golf Estate 2.0Tdi (Both 140ps) - not sure I like the back end.

Skoda Octavia Vrs - mate at work has one on same scheme - lovely bit of kit for the money. (prob best choice as it stands)

Alfa 159 1.9 JTD - would cost me a fair bit, but I think they are gorgeous and not too many on the roads. (really want one)

Quite a few people have the Nissan x-trail, but I'm not sure I like it. I can probably get much more for my money if I go French, but dont really want to. I've got a mondeo st estate at the moment (temp) and I'd have that if I could..... its the last of the old shape, torquey, seems well built, loads of room, all the toys and is comfortable, new equivalent is too expensive on the scheme - not looked at ex-demo prices yet though.

What are your thoughts? Suggest a car I'm prob not thinking of? I'm happy to spend a small chunk of my wages on a nice car as I'll be spending on average 3-4 hours a day in it, and wouldnt be able to afford one otherwise. Everything is payed for after that, including private fuel, even when taking it abroad on holiday. :D

Cheers.

Sat in a face lifted focus Yesterday. Was mucho impressed. Much better nose. Its big selling point is how it drives of you can look past the badge.

The Alfa is a lovely car but will spend more time in the dealers than you will driving it! Take it has to be Diesel too???

What about an ex Demo Beemer 330d??? Devastatingly fast, but has the c0ck end factor, the VW Tiguan Looks Cool too, although I dunno how much they are :(

i've got an xtrail as well and ind it fun in a different way and highly useful far better than an estate - which is why i've got it

comfy drive and nippy as well - especially as i've remapped it and it has 180bhp now ;-)

Not got to be an oil burner, one of my work mates has an A4 1.8t sport line - ex demo. I've not seen a new A4 yet - only heard about them on the radio today TBH - out in march I believe, should be some good deals on current shape A4's to be had me thinks...

Looked at the Tiguan at the dearlers on sunday, would have one but they start at £19k for a fairly basic one.

Not sure if the comapny would ok a 330d... as they pay for all the fuel, might be worth a look though. I have been led to believe the new Alfa's are slowly brushing off their reliability issues, plus if its in the garage I'm not working, or have a hire car :)

ASDA 6 - no thanks. Dash looks like its been made from recylced smart price cottage pie packaging. :lol: from what I've read the rest of the car is no better either.

Do quite fancy a Lexus - not sure about the impression it gives off though (ditto 330d) - not generally bothered about things like that but visiting sites you dont want to alienate the people that you'll be working alongside.

remapped x-trail is sounding good, on demand 4x4 and the rest. Need to get pricing things up and test driving. The nicer the car the more likely the end of the raddo though... I barely get to drive mine now as it is, what a waste - s/c VR collecting dust. (not running though to be honest) :(

I like supercharged thought of the Mazda.

One of the lads just got a Leon 140 diesel 9 months old for 10888 from arnold clark with 8000 miles on it quite hard suspension so unsure of a rebadged fr type.

what about a Honda?

Did consider Honda, get a fair biot for your money, plus you know it will be well built. Just dont fancy the Accord at all if I'm honest. I'll be spening alot of time in the car so its got to be right. Want a Mk5 Gti.... :(

I said Lexus because my dad had the new (IS250 or something like that) one for a few weeks after he wrote his volvo off... It was soooo quiet whne inside the cabin. I loved it... They even look good nowadays.