Sign in to follow this  
supercoupe

VR6 exhaust decisions

Hey all...

Does anybody have a good recomendation on what exhaust system to go for on my VR6.. I have a de-cat powerflow system on my G60 with 3 silencer boxes and it is still too loud for me. So on my VR6 i want a sporty sound but not over the top, i want motorway driving to be pleasant!! That is the only reason stopping me from going back to powerflow, it may be cos the G60 is a noiser engine???? any opinions and reccomendations would be appreiciated>>

Alex

I found with my G60 after going from 2 boxes to 3, the main thing making my G60 sound loud inside was is the induction/charger combination.

From what I can tel, a good miltek/magnex exhaust on vr6 is vastly quieter than any G60 with non stock exhaust let alone ik

Milltek system will give you exactly what you want. Superb build quality and fit, combined with improved flow and performance. Noise levels are not an issue at all given that the exhaust note is typically a low growl. Not invasive but you know the engines alive, the way a sports coupe should sound.

I've had a magnex for about 2 months now, fits well, sounds fantastic (but not boy racer-ish) and suits the C perfectly, what more could ya want? :D :D :D

OEM is the best.. Quality of fit and finish are superb. :) Lasts 5-8 years.. And you can get the two rear boxes from GSF for £155 + VAT, absolute bargain!

Front little box doesn't go very often, and when it does it's £67 from VW..

I've got a Magnex fitted after removing a Milltek system which was a very poor fit and Milltek's "lifetime warranty" was rubbish.

Magnex system is ace and (no sour grapes) a superior system IMHO

dr_mat, OEM is the best.. Quality of fit and finish are superb. Lasts 5-8 years

Couldn't agree more, had my MOT yesterday - passed with no probs - my OEM exhaust is now 10 years old and still not a prob.

oem might be good but they wont last as long as a stainless system so for an extra £50 you get an exhaust with a lifetime warranty,so in the end you will be saving money,and they look better than the oem exhausts

"Look better" is purely subjective, as is "sound better". Frankly I like the sound the OEM exhaust makes, and the tailpipe looks, um, like a tailpipe.

As for the lifetime warranty - true, that's nice, but who's going to keep their car for 10 years? Not many people, and those that do will be keeping it in a garage where the exhaust won't rot anyway (or nothing like as quickly)!

I think more people would go for OEM if they thought it was a bit cheaper. I mean, just a shade over £200 for a complete cat-back system made by VW!! Their own list price for the rear section is over £300!!

do you have to declare stainless systems to your insurance co?

Good point - you probably do. Particularly as they are advertised for "improved performance"...

I guess its all a matter of taste but i do like the look of that stainless steel oval poking out the back of a car. The Audi RS range and other performance type cars all have a nice oval so why shouldnt the corrado :D

told my insurance company about mine and they didnt add any extra on the premium,dr_mat, and not everybody has the use of a garage and use it everyday in rain or snow

I don't have the use of a driveway either, so you're not going to see me saying anything about that!! And I use the car everyday (except on the HUGE number of days it's off the bl**dy road).

I'm sure most insurance companies wouldn't charge more for a S/S exhaust, but I'm also sure some might.

From ECP? Yeah, I have no idea why they do that, but they seem to charge an EXTRA £150 + VAT for the priv of buying a VR6 exhaust from them.

Funnily enough I'll bet they don't sell many when they're drastically over charging like that!!

Magnex. Lovely subtle noise. Lovely subtle tailpipe. Faultless quality. Love it.

Whatever you do, don't buy a 'Walker' pattern exhaust. It looks like a genuine one but simply doesn't fit. I spent 6 months trying to stop one knocking before giving up and buying my Magnex.

I told my insurance co. (Elephant) about my Magnex and they charged me an extra £30!! :(

I too have the original VR system on, which makes it 9 years old. Both rear box's outer skins are rusting away and the hanger welds keep breaking, but apart from that, still leak free and quiet sounding.

What a bargain if you can replace the two rear boxes for less than £200!

Are they genuine VAG then? And sectioned for fitting over the axle?

Ta

Kev

They are genuine VAG, they even have the VW logo and part numbers embossed in all the right places.

The big drawback is it's not sectioned, so you either have to cut+shut, or you have to drop the axle slightly to get room to manoeuvre.

They are genuine VAG, they even have the VW logo and part numbers embossed in all the right places.

The big drawback is it's not sectioned, so you either have to cut+shut, or you have to drop the axle slightly to get room to manoeuvre.

Cheers Mat

Next job on the VR is rear axle bushes, so I might pick one of those exhausts up from G&S and coincide the two jobs :lol:

Ta

Kev

Magnex then!! They only do the oval tail pipe which suits the corrado! Had a sebring exhaust before was rubbish fit and started to corrode after 1 year, hopefully the magnex will be better than that!?!?

I told my insurance co. (Elephant) about my Magnex and they charged me an extra £30!! :(

don't get me started on Elephant, they tried to charge me 70 quid admin for ending my cover, after they jacked up the price, told em where to go with that admin charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!