Sign in to follow this  
tonedef

Brave Guy!

Surely he could use something else rather than his fingers.

Was expecting to see a few fingers lying across the floor in the last picture.

ha ha yeah!

you should be able to rig up some kind of eqpt to do this for you, all you need is pressure at a certain angle/location, if you're DESPERATE to polish them on the car!

its not like he's sitting at 6000rpm, he's probably only at idle.

Yes, car wheels will turn around by themselves at idle as there is no road friction to counteract this and stall the engine. Hell, they even creep by themselves in neutral!

I'd do it, it's not as dangerous as people make it out to be. You could easily just hold a sanding block with your hands away from the wheel.

Yes, car wheels will turn around by themselves at idle as there is no road friction to counteract this and stall the engine. Hell, they even creep by themselves in neutral!

I'd do it, it's not as dangerous as people make it out to be. You could easily just hold a sanding block with your hands away from the wheel.

Ill send you a set of wheels to do then ;)

Ill send you a set of wheels to do then ;)[/quote:igcot2su]

If you do my degree! :clap:

I can understand people thinking americans would hurt themselves, as statistically their fingers are fatter than ours, but if someone would like to do the calculations and prove that this is 100% lethal, then please do!

I think you'll need the following:

Formula to work out rotational mass of the wheel based on wheel's static mass - (you'll need to calculate centripetal acceleration in rad/s

I can understand people thinking americans would hurt themselves, as statistically their fingers are fatter than ours, but if someone would like to do the calculations and prove that this is 100% lethal, then please do!

I think you'll need the following:

Formula to work out rotational mass of the wheel based on wheel's static mass - (you'll need to calculate centripetal acceleration in rad/s

Thanks for making me self-conscious! :(

:D

Ill send you a set of wheels to do then ;)[/quote:1xgt7ce2]

If you do my degree! :clap:[/quote:1xgt7ce2]

Thats not a fair deal :lol:

Thanks for making me self-conscious! :(

:D

lol, you are an american corrado owner dude, that makes you exempt from all stereotypes! :clap:

If you do my degree! :clap:

Thats not a fair deal :lol:[/quote:12osxt45]

ok ok, just my maths module.... you know about complex conjugates of imaginary numbers?.... Yeah, nor do I :pale: :scratch:

ok ok, just my maths module.... you know about complex conjugates of imaginary numbers?.... Yeah, nor do I :pale: :scratch:

yeah did $hite when i studied electronics.

Bit mind bending at first :eek:

did the same thing with my BBS RM's a few years ago, I really cant see why people think its that dangerous, as long as the surface you are sanding is spinning away from you there is no risk of you finger snagging, even if you touch the spoke, people do this sort of thing in machine shops and in carpentry (which is a damn site more risky) every day.

You get a much more uniform finish than if it was done with a dremmel or mop as there is no risk of consentrating on one spot.

The rims on my RM's came out like a mirror (didnt last long after the winter).

If someone loses a finger while doing this they are obviously a :censored: moron and they deserve to lose a finger, or any other part of thier anatomy they try poking in thier rim's. :lol:

I really cant see why people think its that dangerous, as long as the surface you are sanding is spinning away from you there is no risk of you finger snagging, even if you touch the spoke, people do this sort of thing in machine shops and in carpentry (which is a damn site more risky) every day.

Yeah I don't see what all the fuss is about? Its exactly the same as using a lathe?

There is a minor danger of the car falling off the stands I suppose.

True, the car could jump off it's stands.... but I don't think it would get enough traction to pull the car into the nearest wall (wheels have no tyres on). I could easily be wrong though.

i tried this on my GSI, but couldn be ar**d to take the tyre off, or have it on stands. 2800RPM in 3rd is windy let me tell you, and the bumps i had to contend with the gaffa tape round my legs was not sticky enough.

Surely some cardboard over the centre of the wheel covering the spokes would reduce the chance of accidental finger removal.

Nick

Is it worth the risk?

yes it is :D

I did this again a few months ago with my wider rims, I bought a full set of 2" rims for dirt cheap as they where badly laquered and corroded, after an afternoon of polishing they where spotless with a mirror finish, it's quicker, you get a perfect uniform finish, and there is no risk involved as long as the vehicle is secure, i used my van on axle stands and a couple of big blocks of teak wood underneath, and a ratchet strap attached to a fence post just incase.

and as i said as long as you only polish the surface that is spinning away from you there is NO risk of losing a finger, even if you touch the spokes.