Sign in to follow this  
G60DUBBA

why why why??? sunroof!!!!!!!!!

First my handbrake cable snaps

2nd my subframe rots away, so it ripps apart whilst im driving, and the passenger side wheel smashes against my wheel arch

3rdly i have a puddle on the back floor, drivers side....

4th......... Now my FCUKIN sunroof wont tilt down, it wont move, period.... so i have covered the interior with bin liners, and sealed the sun roof with even more bin liners to prevent rain coming in2 the car..

I bought my car for 2k........... the guy must be laughing!!!!!!!! (cCcK!)

Any advice please?

Why isnt my sunroof working.... how much will it cost 2 repair............

I have been interested in moonroof conversions...........

Regards!!!!!!

Cables have probably snapped. Common fault, well, common to all Corrado's with sunroofs :lol:

Get yourself a moonroof from a passat estate (circa 1993 IIRC). Fits, works and is a far better mech, that wont break. Easy to fit too (apparently, not done mine yet) :D

I cant remember if you can close the tilt part of the sunroof manualy, but it's worth a try - if you remove the switch/interior light unit you'll find an alan key on the sunroof motor - try it and see if it'll close the roof.

If the motor's not making any noise, you could be lucky in that all it'll need is a new switch?

Oh, and cheers for the compliment about the car! :eek:

Don't worry about the sunroof they are a flawed design. MIne broke so I got another one and fitted it. Just before I got it all lined up and finished it broke as well in exactly the same place. I'll be welding the 4cker up when I get the car resprayed. :mad2:

Don't worry about the sunroof they are a flawed design. MIne broke so I got another one and fitted it. Just before I got it all lined up and finished it broke as well in exactly the same place. I'll be welding the 4cker up when I get the car resprayed. :mad2:

Useful for road rage.

gun turret.

Useful for road rage.

gun turret.

If you can get it open. LOL

Useful for road rage.

gun turret.

If you can get it open. LOL

LOl

I stand corrected.

I don't think they're as bad as everyone makes out! Once you understand how it all works inside then it's easy to fix.

I got mine a year ago, it would tilt but not slide, the owner said it was because of one of the cables, so I took his word for it. Went and got a new pair of cables, took the sunroof out, the original cables were fine! Whilst I was messing around with it though I broke another part, it was obviously weak in the 1st place not just me being clumsy!

Fixed that, broke another part, so I think I have pretty much new mechanisms in there now. Unfortunately the guide I was initially following told me to make sure I greased up the cables well so they would slide properly, good advice apart from the fact that a lot of the mechanism parts are plastic and therefore soak up grease and expand in the frame! So it works with the manual winder, but is still too tight for the motor to operate it, hopefully one of these days it will all wear down enough so I can use it how it's supposed to be!

It's worked fine on the manual winder ever since though, touch wood. If there is a market for high performance sunroof motors, I'll buy one.

I don't think they're as bad as everyone makes out! Once you understand how it all works inside then it's easy to fix.

I got mine a year ago, it would tilt but not slide, the owner said it was because of one of the cables, so I took his word for it. Went and got a new pair of cables, took the sunroof out, the original cables were fine! Whilst I was messing around with it though I broke another part, it was obviously weak in the 1st place not just me being clumsy!

Fixed that, broke another part, so I think I have pretty much new mechanisms in there now. Unfortunately the guide I was initially following told me to make sure I greased up the cables well so they would slide properly, good advice apart from the fact that a lot of the mechanism parts are plastic and therefore soak up grease and expand in the frame! So it works with the manual winder, but is still too tight for the motor to operate it, hopefully one of these days it will all wear down enough so I can use it how it's supposed to be!

It's worked fine on the manual winder ever since though, touch wood. If there is a market for high performance sunroof motors, I'll buy one.

Mmmm like I say weld the 4cker up! sounds like another successful sunroof repair! :scratch:

G60Dubba-

Assuming you haven't managed to shut the sunroof yet- this is a long shot that may help you (it happened to me once)..

On the sunroof motor there's an 'overide/kill/shutoff switch that disables the motor..I think is there so that if you have a socket/key inplace to a manually move the motor, you can't in advertedly trigger the motor and mangle your self/damage the motor..

The symptoms of this having 'tripped' is that pressing the sunroof button does absolutely nothing, no noise, nothing...as if the switch was disconnected..

The 'switch' is on the motor mech itself.

To find it, remove the lining around the front of the sunroof (between the switch and the sunroof) to expose the motor mech.

You may be able to see a hole/socket etc where you insert a key (eg allen key or somthing I think- this happened to me 4 years ago!) There is a swivelling 'cover' that should cover this hole- this should be in the position that covers the hole and thus prevents you manually winding the motor.. This 'cover' is also the shut off 'switch'.. if it is not covering the hole then it thinks you are manually winding the sunroof and has disabled it...

....so simply swivel it to cover the hole... and try the sunroof again..

In my case some fairly 'spirited' driving and a bump in the road was enought to move it , leaving me completely bemused until I opened up the lining to look at the motor..

The rest of it looks a PITA however- really bad news on the subframe...

Good luck..

I picked up my Corrado last week and my sunroof tilts but wont slide. After reading this thread I've just gone out and tried manually sliding the sunroof and it slides manually perfectly but still wont slide on the motor. Am I to take it then that nothing is broken as such but just that everything is too tight and the motor isnt strong enough to slide it?

Same issue as mine, Slides fine, just really slowly like, as you've said, the rails its on are too tight round the sunroof sliders. I even tried a little grease in the rails, but no difference.