Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Bonnet popping cable

the one that connect to lever under dash so you can pop the bonnet.

i got fed up trying to disconnect mine and ending up cutting it, so need a new one, its just the wire inside the thing that i cut, all the black covering is still there.

is it a case of threading a new bit of wire into the black sleeve, i couldn't see any other way of getting it off

VW want £25-£30 for a new cable, but that might be the whole thing

Essentially yes but you need the S shaped bit thats on the cockpit end of the cable.

The VW one will be the whole thing long with the clip that holds it onto the leaver...as far as i know this is the only way now as you can't buy the seperate bits.

Yeah it is the whole cable system, complete with the clip that holds the outer fixed to the handle bracket whilst the inner is pulled.

On mine that little clip snapped and I had to pull on the inner with pliers to open the bonnet. So yeah, I had to effectively pay £25 for a clip!!

Mind you, it was well worth replacing the whole lot anyway because the bonnet now opens a lot smoother and with a lot less effort than before.

another thing for my list then :lol:

i really couldn't get the old one off, the screw was rusted solid

I managed to buy just the S shaped clip from VW about 2 yrs ago. I actually brought 2 as it was so fiddly i was sure I'd break one. I have the spare one if anyone wants it, it was only about 80p i think!!

I managed to buy just the S shaped clip from VW about 2 yrs ago. I actually brought 2 as it was so fiddly i was sure I'd break one. I have the spare one if anyone wants it, it was only about 80p i think!!

I'll have it mate, save me forking out for a whole new cable!

can any one tell me how to fit these cables pics if pos?? i snaped mine when putting front end back together and now have to pull the grill out and pop each side help please !!! :scratch: :shrug: :help:

It's pretty easy. I'd get new mounting parts and the rubber grommet (Gold MK V item) for the bulk head too- don't cost much.

Remove the fusebox cover/tray in front of the driver's seat. Just tape the new cable securely onto the end of the old one in the footwell. Pull through carefully from the engine side, into the enginge bay. Detach from old cable. Route through the new grommet (you have to cut the top off it) and then into the engine bay, where the old cable is. You can remove the old cable at the same time as fitting the new, so you can see exactly where it needs to go. Attach the clip in the footwell. Really easy! I would defo remove the grille so you can manually pull down on the cable if you haven't tightened it enough to open the bonnet. May take 2-3 attempts to get the tightness right.

there is an alternative to the crappy little s shaped clip, most decent mountain bike shops will have alloy cable end guides which are desined for bikes without the guides allready on the frame, they have a slot in the side to slot the centre wire through so you dont need to remove the cable, they can either be clamped or screwed to the bracket and are much stronger, got mine from alf jones cycles in wrexham and it has been fine for over a year.

does anyone with the Ekta parts diagrams know if the ends are included with the cable

was loads of bits and numbers on the screen but i only ordered the cable, no.18 on their diagrams

was over £30 so it better come with other bits :lol:

cable does come with the end bits. you cant order them without it.

will try and get some pics on the weekend, unless i can find them for sale online.

i just went to a bike hsop to ask about this, they thought i was nuts. if you can get pics, or can get hold of more of these parts i'd be interested!

cheers,

baz.

just got back from collecting cable.

i ordered part no: 536823531 - CABLE

here is what you get

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

£23.79 + vat

it doesn't have the bit i need, the ekta was very confusing, seemed to have the bits for a LHD corrado and the bits were in the wrong place, but ordered

535823555 Nipple - £4.27 + vat

N0102631 Screw - £0.08 + vat

which i hope is the bit for the other end of cable, where you adjust it, was shown in the wrong place but looked like the right part

Helpful posts you are doing, 3corsameal.

Well done - will be appreciated.

When I refitted cable (old one) after putting front back on car, I found that the spring-open action of the bonnet worked best if you pulled all the slack out of the cable (quite firmly) then tightened the thing on the end.

Doing it too slack meant that only one side freed.

Good luck.

Here is the spare S shaped clip that I bought from smith knight fay Stockport about 2 yrs ago. Part number was 535 823 567. I brought it separately for about 80p i think.

I would recommend the mod suggested above using a bike brake cable part, although I haven't seen it, I would imagine that anything that prevents you from having to remove the old cable is a good thing.

I replaced mine by:

1. slackening the nut at the far end of the cable (battery side of engine bay) and then withdrawing the cable.

2. Threading the S shaped clip to the end of the wire.

3. re threading the wire through the cable sheath (quite difficult if the wire is frayed :D )

4. re tightening the nut - its best to check that the bonnet pull is working both mechanisms before slamming the bonnet..... :D

DSC05597.jpg

Cnut - do you still want this.

Helpful posts you are doing, 3corsameal.

Well done - will be appreciated..

cheers, i like to keep a record of everything, i should compile all the pics and part numbers i have into one thread but never get round to it