daves16v

The annoying loose handbrake tunnel cover - a solution!

Anyone notice how loose the handbrake centre trim cover has become on their Rado. I had this on both my Rado's and have seen it on just about every other Rado I've seen.

I've found it's the crap plastic fixings that hold the plastic tunnel down either side the handbrake. Even with new items they just never seem to do the job or if they do it doesn't last long.

I've knocked up a simple bracket that screws down to the floor (drill and tap) and is bolted through the plastic tunnel. It's made of Ali at the moment but I'm making one from Stainless for even less flex.

I've completely left off the 2 front plastic fixings but kept the rear 2.

Edit 07/02/2020 -

£15 posted without drill bit and tap.

£18 posted with drill bit and tap.

Edited by daves16v

i don't get it :lol:

mine seems alright, its the bit of plastic on the actual lever i threw away after months of annoyance

i thought you meant the actual handbrake lever cover piece that is rubbish,

thats the piece that annoys me anyway

i thought you meant the actual handbrake lever cover piece that is rubbish

No, it's the cover trim that stretches from the gear surround to the rear ashtray. Although it's not the cover that's the problem, it's the part underneath.

i guessed that when i saw your pics , but the title made me think that something had been done with the rubbish lever cover other than pushing it back on every time you let the handbrake off, oh well

i guessed that when i saw your pics , but the title made me think that something had been done with the rubbish lever cover other than pushing it back on every time you let the handbrake off, oh well

Subject edited.

I dont even have the central tunnel or handbrake cover on mine at the minute. Took it off for some handbrake cable adjustment about 2 months ago and havent put it back on yet

Right, I've now made the bracket from Stainless and modified it slightly. The finished item fits very well and more importantly holds firm :D - see photo, I'm very happy with it.

For those wanting one I can do it for £12.50 posted which includes all Stainless screws nuts and washers. You will need to provide your own 6mm drill bit for the plastic and M4 Tap for the floor fixing. As most people will already have a drill bit close to the correct size, I may be able to supply the Tap but it will up the cost slightly.

Comments welcome.

Are you sure there is enough flex in this piece of metal to justify the move from aluminium to steel? I'm in the middle of my materials engineering revision, and I really can't see the necessity of an upgrade to steel, it's hardly a load bearing part.

Was the aluminium particularly low grade or something?

I'll have one at £12.50 no worries.....could you explain about the "tap" situation for me as i'm not sure what it is :oops:

and if need be i'll have that also :D

Thanks for the effort :clap:

a tap is a small device which is used to turn the flat edges of a hole into threaded edges so you can screw a bolt into it and it will hold.

a tap is a small device which is used to turn the flat edges of a hole into threaded edges so you can screw a bolt into it and it will hold.

Ah i see, can i not just buy self tapping screws/bolts for that bit then?

Are you sure there is enough flex in this piece of metal to justify the move from aluminium to steel? I'm in the middle of my materials engineering revision, and I really can't see the necessity of an upgrade to steel, it's hardly a load bearing part.

Was the aluminium particularly low grade or something?

I can get hold of Stainless much easier, apart from that if I made them from Ali the price wouldn't change.

The reason I went with machine screws - the floor seem to be made up of either thick steel or double thinkness, self tappers are designed for thin material's where a tapped thread is inappropriate. I found this out when I tried to use self tappers in a similar area on the floor. I could have used large diameter self tappers (bigger thread pitch) but this would be overkill.

quite possibly, my man.

i think so :D ......was it cold and windy at Knockhill by the way?

Yes BOTH! I had 5 layers on most days.

@Dave16v, if you view my cutting up of the Corrado pictures, you can see EXACTLY what kind of metal thickness the tranny tunnel is made up from as I cut through there to quarter the floorpan.

hth,

Jon.

quite possibly, my man.

i think so :D ......was it cold and windy at Knockhill by the way?

@Dave16v, if you view my cutting up of the Corrado pictures, you can see EXACTLY what kind of metal thickness the tranny tunnel is made up from as I cut through there to quarter the floorpan.

hth,

Jon.[/quote:31e97s1w]

You got a link to this?