Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Today I drove... a new Jaguar XKR!

So yeah - I'm doing this personal development course at work and one of the guys in my group of 4 is a team leader for an automotive research / manufacturing group where I work. He showed me a few weeks back a Jaguar XKR in their workshop (they do work with with Jag, Land Rover and now of course Tata..) and let me start it up but unfortunately the tax had expired so it couldn't be driven. Thankfully the tax was renewed and I was invited over to try it out :)

Unfortunately I had to only dawdle around the roads where I work (20 / 30MPH) but did get to open the taps very briefly on a quiet straight bit of road - put my foot down and for half a second or so there was a delay because of the kick down (it was an auto) and the lag from the supercharger.. I stupidly thought "Well this isn't very quick is it..?!" when suddenly it just came alive to a sound of whistling / whining from the charger and the roar from the V8 - I literally shouted out loud "Jesus Christ!!" such was the shock of the acceleration and quickly backed off again. I wish i'd had more time and more road to enjoy it - to be honest I don't think i'd ever want to get out of it.

It was a peculiar car to drive at very low speeds simply because of the sheer power of the engine and the irritating behaviour of the throttle pedal. Trying to drive very slowly is hard because going from the crawl that an automatic does, to applying some power seemed to cause a bit of a lurch / jerk - so really not suited to city driving at all. I don't doubt for a one second it would be anything other than breathtaking on open roads though.

It only reaffirms one thing for me though - i'm a complete and utter petrolhead. Totally and utterly besotted by this thing. The two other guys were just like 'Yeah.. its really nice..' and that was about it. I really wanted to just take it and drive to Scotland or somewhere else far away!

A very nice thing to happen to anyone Jim, you lucky fella :notworthy:

I want one in black...........................

There goes another one of those winged pigs again :nuts:

They are a lovely car - so much more of a sports car than the old XKR ever was, just a pity then don't offer a manual option.

The only Jag I've ever driven was an X-type turbo weasel. Had active suspension (apparently) but really wasn't a very nice car. I came away disappointed even though my expectations weren't that high to begin with.

I'm sure I'd have fun in an XKR though....

The XKR is the only one worth having, the normally aspirated XK feels quite sluggish, even if it does have 290bhp

i think it weighs 1.8 shedloads so probably needs a nice gob of power to get some good acceleration out of it.

That is possibly my most untechnical post yet :shrug:

Power to weight is crucial. I had a Boxster 2.7 that was dull in comparison to the 3.4S I have now, it is incredible it gives me neck ache!

I guess the XK-R addresses the XK8's dullness. Must get round to having a go.

Good going Jim!

I drove my Dad's mates XK8 the other week and have to say I was unimpressed to say the least.

Sluggish wallowy and overweight was my general opinion, I'm assuming it was the 290bhp? It felt slower than the VR, probably just less agile though I suppose.

Very fortunate to be offered a drive in one of those at work though! I bet you were lovin it?!

Nice! They've gotta be one of the best sounding cars around at the mo, along with the V8 Vantage 8)

Must admit the V8 Vantage I had for the weekend last year sounded a lot better than the XKR I drove but think that noise apart I'd prefer the XKR, does everything the Vantage does for 2/3 of the money

Our eldest lad has one several years old that he has had for about 3 years.

He and his wife are hoping to go on a European tour with it this summer then sell it.

Not for me, personally, this type of car, though the engineering, etc, is engrossing.