Sign in to follow this  
Danny B

VR6 Temperature ?

Alrite guys,

not sure if I'm worrying about nothing but when sitting in traffic my water temp regularly reads just under 110, when driving though it stays steady at around 90.......After just reading a thread where someone said theirs stayed at a steady 70 I got the jitters.......to worry or not to worry :shrug: ????

its a m-reg VR6

Danny b

p.s. if there are loads of threads on this please say so, sorry I'm writting this late at night :sleeping:

There's a load of threads on this! :D

Around 110 is a tad higher than preferable but especially in traffic, don't worry too much.

70 it what a VR6 with an old coolant temp sensor will read - 90 is about right (110 may suggest a leak somewhere).

90+ is about right for oil temp. 110 suggests unhappy ecu...

70 it what a VR6 with an old coolant temp sensor will read

Interesting, where is that sensor? My MFA says it's about 70, but if it's plugged into vagcom it says about 90.

Your MFA reads oil temp (sender on the filter housing).

The coolant temp is shown on the main instrument display and uses one of 2 senders on the thermostat housing. The other sender is used by the ECU and is what you see on VAGCOM.

HTH

110 oil temp (ie of the MFA) is ok (its hot, buts ok if you're stuck in traffic or really hooning it)..

110 water temp (temp gauge) is not ok- your fans should be on full wack and your water temp buzzer should trigger around 110/111 degrees..

110 oil temp (ie of the MFA) is ok (its hot, buts ok if you're stuck in traffic or really hooning it)..

110 water temp (temp gauge) is not ok- your fans should be on full wack and your water temp buzzer should trigger around 110/111 degrees..

My water temp guage generally sits at around 100 or slightly over once the car's fully warm and has done for nearly 6 years.

70 it what a VR6 with an old coolant temp sensor will read - 90 is about right (110 may suggest a leak somewhere).

90+ is about right for oil temp. 110 suggests unhappy ecu...

sorry but thats rubbish

all cars run at around 90 and the majority of cars while sitting in traffic will go above 100 (definately in the summer) ,110 is a little high but to say it suggests a leak is a bit of a wild statement loss of water would suggest a leak,and then to say the ecu is unhappy ,

all modern cars run pressure systems they do this so you can run above atmospheric pressure boiling point , the figures quoted are normal for all standard cars , most thermostates dont open till 89 and this is water tempuratures not oil.

oil will happily run around 100 all day .

i am sure this will spark a fury of responces but there it is.

My water temp guage generally sits at around 100 or slightly over once the car's fully warm and has done for nearly 6 years.

100?- my water temp is usually a lot lower (80/90 deg).. I guess every car's a bit individual (or my gauge is out!)...

My point was that 110 degrees water temp is the absolutely max you should see as that's when buzzers start to go etc.. and if gets that far your fans probably aren't working properly or something else is amiss..

110 oil is different story- incidentally my oil usually sits around the 98-104 mark...

Perhaps if you re-read my post? :roll:

The 1st line refers to coolant temp, the second to oil temp - both based on personal experience over 7 years of VR6 ownership.

HTH.

my water sits 80-90

oil around 90- 108 but i was ragging on a private road of course :lol: at over 100mph in the summer and saw 112 but when i got back on the public road between 70 - 80 it settled back to 108. :)

Perhaps if you re-read my post? :roll:

The 1st line refers to coolant temp, the second to oil temp - both based on personal experience over 7 years of VR6 ownership.

HTH.

i did the water and oil was not a dig at you ,

my personal experience was based on 20yrs of driving 100s of cars in all situations and owning many performance cars the vr being the slowest car i have owned for a long time but the best on fuel for horses , and all cars behave in pretty much the same way with regards to tempuratures under normal driving and stuck in traffic ,

my only dig was your un happy ecu , un happy senders yes maybe , and the 110 you must have a leak , well no maybe the rads blocked the thermostat is playing up or the first stage of the fans are not coming on , or may be there not working at all ,

we all have different experiences , thats what the forum is for but if people are not sure they should not say anything as the people asking dont know thats why they are asking , the poor guy might think he has a sad ecu :salute:

Unhappy ecu produced an indicated oil temp on the motorway of 114. Changing the ecu dropped this back into the 'normal' range - hence a suggested cause. Similarly, with the coolant leak - the level was fine - but dropping. Finding and fixing the leak - and making no other changes - dropped the motorway coolant temp back to 'normal'. hence the suggestion that this might be a cause.

Both these on a VR6 - the same as the original post.

The 11 other cars I've owned in the last 21 years haven't exhibited either of these symptoms and respective causes.

The VR6 is the slowest accelerating vehicle I currently own and regularly use... :D

Unhappy ecu produced an indicated oil temp on the motorway of 114. Changing the ecu dropped this back into the 'normal' range - hence a suggested cause. Similarly, with the coolant leak - the level was fine - but dropping. Finding and fixing the leak - and making no other changes - dropped the motorway coolant temp back to 'normal'. hence the suggestion that this might be a cause.

Both these on a VR6 - the same as the original post.

The 11 other cars I've owned in the last 21 years haven't exhibited either of these symptoms and respective causes.

The VR6 is the slowest accelerating vehicle I currently own and regularly use... :D

fair enough if your ecu caused the problem but its not a common thing ,also if your water is dropping you would look to a leak but you must have been emptying the expansion bottle a lot to see it on the gauge .

on a lighter note,

if we both have slower cars than we have owned for a while maybe we need a supercharger each ,now theres a plan :D

that sparked an interesting conversation.......I dont think i really have an issue, it seems after another couple of drives and prolonged water gauge stairing - which I wouldnt recommend for two long, almost mowed down a cyclist at one point :shock: - the max water temp it gets to is 108 before the fans kick in while in traffic, and when on the move 90 odd. After the responses that seems relatively normal.

think I may have been worrying about nothing, although I will be mentioning it to the Phirm next time I'm down there.

thanks for the responses anyway lads.

.....and please less of the VR6 slow talk its ruining my local rep !!!

My water temps can range from anything between 90ish up to 110 depending on ambient temp and how hard i'm driving the car. My oil temp can range from anything between 90 up to 124 (hard driving in the summer).

As far as i'm concerned, these are not temps to be worried about. As someone else already mentioned, the coolant system is pressureised and under pressure the boiling point of the coolant is raised so 110 degrees is nothing to be worried about.

IMO once you start heading towards 120 degrees on water temps it's time to start looking for a problem.

.....and please less of the VR6 slow talk its ruining my local rep !!!

its not slow its just it the slowest car i have owned for a long time i had a 172 mph bi turbo s4 before the vr , you see my point :D

I reakon I could get 172mph out of my VR.......on a long road........with a tail wind........maybe :scratch: !!!

who needs speed anyway when you got the coolest active rear spolier on the road.

I reakon I could get 172mph out of my VR.......on a long road........with a tail wind........maybe :scratch: !!!

Down a hill, in a vacuum .. maybe. And you'd be doing 7500 rpm in 5th...

LOL, summer's here and so are VR6 owner's obsessions with operating temperatures!

One thing that puzzled me in this thread is this.....

Unhappy ecu produced an indicated oil temp on the motorway of 114.

What the heck is an unhappy ECU and what bearing does Mr Grumpy ECU have on oil temp?? :lol:

Oil temp has nothing to do with the ECU. The only MFA function that is controlled by the ECU is MPG. All other MFA functions operate independantly of the ECU. And I know this because my Motronic ECU is in the shed and everything in the MFA works as before, except MPG.

Down a hill, in a vacuum .. maybe. And you'd be doing 7500 rpm in 5th...[/quote:23ogu7gc]

You only need 7000rpm to hit 172mph with standard gearing...... and a GT35R :wink:

Down a hill, in a vacuum .. maybe. And you'd be doing 7500 rpm in 5th...

You only need 7000rpm to hit 172mph with standard gearing...... and a GT35R :wink:[/quote:3kwen41w]

your all pessimists I say.......lol !!

Oil temp has nothing to do with the ECU. The only MFA function that is controlled by the ECU is MPG. All other MFA functions operate independantly of the ECU. And I know this because my Motronic ECU is in the shed and everything in the MFA works as before, except MPG.

Return of the Cheese....!

Bearing in mind the way VRs run and the HUGE amount of heat they generate, I guess it's not surprising that high ambient temperatures tend to worry alot of owners. My exterior temp sensor is located on the intake to my BMC. The difference in air intake temps from a month ago to now are incredible!