dinkus

The definitive VR6 cooling guide

Ive done the MK4 bottle upgrade but cant for the life of me find the part number for a new plug! anyone got any ideas???

My mates got a mk4 golf. I could get the part number off it tomorrow night when I see him, unless you sort it b4

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi James, yeah the cars been good. Useless in the wet weather though. It's just back from the body shop getting all the rust cut away and fixed. So it's in the garage ready to go back together, but I'm wanting to address any issues while I'm putting everything back on it. If I change the radiator, I will go for and aluminium one, will these brackets fit or would it only fit the standard VW rad? I noticed Vaghag had to get a special bracket from Chrisl for his radiator.

Fraser

Chris L very kindly made a one off set for me as my rad is oversized. In theory James brackets should work with other rads, check the mounting holes match and you are golden

Hello, my son and I are new to the water cooled scene, and we got him a 92 G60 for his first car. We have replaced the radiator, thermostat, and now the over flow res. Now the fan doesn't seem to turn on and the car gets hot, will this process work to figure out the issue on a G60 or only a VR6?

Thanks

OK Am I right in thinking that this isn't right.

Should my fans run on after ignition is turned off for 10 mins, regardless of how hot the engine gets. I can drive the car 10 yards from cold turn it off and the fans turn on, on the after run.

I've recently changed the rad temp sensor,

Also the temp gauge on the dash only goes up to about 70-75 degrees even though I've changed the yellow sensor do you think I've got an earthing issue somewhere, or a duff sensor from new.

Cheers

Jon

That doesn't sound right to me. . My VR only runs on if it is really hot when I turn the ignition off. And my normal temp is 90-95.

I don't have a solution tho, sorry. Fortunately I've not had this problem, YET

Temp gauge too low could be a sensor but just as likely your thermostat is seized open.

The fans don't run after ignition off unless their temperature sensor tells them to. So you have a dud sensor most likely there too.

OK Am I right in thinking that this isn't right.

Should my fans run on after ignition is turned off for 10 mins, regardless of how hot the engine gets. I can drive the car 10 yards from cold turn it off and the fans turn on, on the after run.

I've recently changed the rad temp sensor,

Also the temp gauge on the dash only goes up to about 70-75 degrees even though I've changed the yellow sensor do you think I've got an earthing issue somewhere, or a duff sensor from new.

Cheers

Jon

Hi jon

what flavour rado?

if VR then no the fans should only kick in on after run when the temps are higher.

there are 3 temp sensors which drive the 3 stages of fans & one of those is likely to control the after run for fans

as for the dash temp reading it is likely you have an older type thermostat which gives a more accurate reading than the new ones, which are engineered to sit around 90 unless there is an issue

have you tested you fan stages & dash temp reading whilst running, IE turn it on & let it warm up until the fans kick in? if so what happens?

if you cooling system is working ok you should find that the bottom rad hose gets hot, dash temp hits around 70 ish & the thermostat opens which then lets the top rad hose get warm. dash temp should get to about 95 ish & then the fans stage 1 kick in

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Hi jon

what flavour rado?

if VR then no the fans should only kick in on after run when the temps are higher.

there are 3 temp sensors which drive the 3 stages of fans & one of those is likely to control the after run for fans

as for the dash temp reading it is likely you have an older type thermostat which gives a more accurate reading than the new ones, which are engineered to sit around 90 unless there is an issue

have you tested you fan stages & dash temp reading whilst running, IE turn it on & let it warm up until the fans kick in? if so what happens?

if you cooling system is working ok you should find that the bottom rad hose gets hot, dash temp hits around 70 ish & the thermostat opens which then lets the top rad hose get warm. dash temp should get to about 95 ish & then the fans stage 1 kick in

Its a 93 VR, I've changed the engine thermostat with a Meyle one back in the summer and tested it before fitting to make sure it worked as intended.

Ill let it sit and idle to see what kicks in and when also what the dash gauge reads. Had a new radiator in the summer too, don't know if it works 'too' efficiently!! e.g over cooling.

It could be my fan controller is toast,

Anyone shed any light on the different types I know my cat had 1HO919506, but there are variants, not sure how different they are.

Jon

Hi all,

After putting the key in the ignition, what sounds like the aux water pump (coming from right side of engine), is making a terrible grinding noise (sounds like bits have broken off and are moving around inside it).

Based on the first post in this amazing thread, I'm looking for this part b251965561B. I'm ordering from VW heritage as I have some nice vouchers. :thumbleft:

Anyone else used the following part for a VR6:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/251965561B/water-pump-additional-electric-t4-golf-corrado/

Cheers

I got a bosch one from ebay delivered from Germany for around that price.

At least with vw Heritage you can use your vouchers and get the forum discount.

If when you change it out and there is nothing missing from the aux. pump, I would consider checking the main water pump, as these tend to lose the plastic vanes (if its a plastic one) and it could be something like this stuck in it. ..

Probably just take the aux. out pump first to check. It's an easy enough removal.

Good luck

I got a bosch one from ebay delivered from Germany for around that price.

At least with vw Heritage you can use your vouchers and get the forum discount.

If when you change it out and there is nothing missing from the aux. pump, I would consider checking the main water pump, as these tend to lose the plastic vanes (if its a plastic one) and it could be something like this stuck in it. ..

Probably just take the aux. out pump first to check. It's an easy enough removal.

Good luck

Cheers Cressa, I'll take it off and have a look.

Hi all,

Got a problem with my cooling fans (late VR, three stage fan setup), they won't come on at all. Symptoms and tests, so far:

- Fans don't come on, I had to switch the engine off when the overheating light came on.

- I have checked all fuses, including those on the fan control module.

- I've taken the plug off the rad sender, bridged both connections (no fan)

- pulled plug off the black temp sender, bridged the connection, no fan

- Disconnected fan, connected another (have a spare with bracket, bridged all connections as above, no fan.

This leads me to think I could have two dead fans (one fitted and my spare fan), or its the fan control module. My next steps are to use fused jumper cables to test the fan, or swap in another fan control module (don't have a spare).

I've taken a few meter readings on the fan, and rad sender with the ignition on. Not sure what should have power and what shouldn't though..

Anyone else had this problem? I may try and dismantle the control module, mine seems to be the control unit sealed with silicone sealant, so I could take it apart.

Edited by Erallus

There is only one fan motor, the other fan is just linked to the first with a belt. Could you try a 12v supply to the fan to check that.

The fuse at the fcm was blown on mine, that's how I got power. I replaced the fuse, found I then had power but the aux.pump was broken anyway !! Typical Corrado. Good luck

There is only one fan motor, the other fan is just linked to the first with a belt. Could you try a 12v supply to the fan to check that.

Thanks Jim, I'll make myself some fused jumper leads and give that a go.

Update , so after building some jumper leads , my fans work. So motors are good. As I'm getting continuity on all the wires to the fan controller module and out of it to the fan,. Points to the control module itself. I'll try get another working one !

What is the part number on the one you have. I have one that is still boxed so could check

What is the part number on the one you have. I have one that is still boxed so could check

Hi Cressa, very kind of you to offer. Part number on mine is 357 919 506. (no letter top number)

89 8718 000 (bottom number).

Edited by Erallus

[ATTACH]85736[/ATTACH]

That's what I have.

I have no idea about the bottom numbers tho. ..

I have no idea about the bottom numbers tho. ..

Thanks for checking for me Cressa, from the looks of it there's four types (re-post from this thread - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?78760-fan-control-module):

25 1H0919506

electric fan control unit / to be used for: / also use: / F >> 50-P-020 000

1H0 919 506 A N 017 125 2 / ABV,KR,9A,PG

(25) 3A0919506

electric fan control unit / to be used for: / also use: / F 50-R-000 001>>

357 919 506 A N 017 125 2 / ABV air condit.: 2E

(25) 357919506E

electronic control unit / electric fan / for models with radiator fan run-on / F 50-R-000 001>>

/ 9A,2E

(25) 3A0919506B

electric fan control unit / for models with towing facility / and/or / for vehicles with automatic / for vehicle use in warm climates / F 50-R-000 001>>

/ 9A,2E

Seems yours and mine are different. Guess I'll try get one with same number as mine to be sure it works.

Anyone know what the letter designation at the end means?

e.g I can find plenty of 357919506 A, 357919506 E but very few 357919506. I assume this could be because mines older...

Is there any reason why my third sensor wouldn't be there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk