Sign in to follow this  
16vgt

windscreen rubber

have any of you had any probs with the windscreen rubber?? there are two- one is the main one which goes around the whole screen, then theres the other one which goes around the top and sides... mine keeps coming out from the top in the rain... doesnt leak or anything.

does anyone know hoe much these cost and if mainstealer sells em?

The seal that runs around the screen is supposed to be nice snug fit without sealant ,but like many when a replacement windscreen is fitted its often taped to keep it in place while the bond dries ,but it sags down :? and you tend to get a bigger gap in the top and that's why its slack..

Do as Mike says..I have :D

my girlfriend`s C is leaking from the top seal-

its gonna be easier to claim for a new windscreen rather than get it resealed as it costs about £60 for reseal at autoglass and they cant guaratee the glass wont break on removal!! and therefore have to get a new windscreen anyway.

not long ago had my windscreen replaced and they had to order seal special-cant be sure on a price but i think it was near £100!!!

pay your excess and get a spanking new windscreen!

will they change the rubber included in the windscreen repair or is it extra

A Word of caution with windscreen replacement on Corrado.

They should replace the seals with the windscreen but its not likely they will bother as most will have to source them once they have turned up to fit a new screen.

On my old 16V the screen was damaged due to road salt whilst the other half was driving it - she took some time off work so that the windscreen people could fit a new one.

Anyway the Autoshield guys phoned said other half up 2 hrs later to say its done but the car couldnt be moved for a few hours whilst the sealant was drying. Fine she said.

She collected the car to find masking tape holding the outer seal down as they had used the original seal and it wouldnt go back into place - they had used black silicone to glue the edges down and it looked terrible.

Washed the Corrado down still fuming (2 / 3 days later and my complaint to headquarters being dealt with) to find water pouring into the car!!!

So they came and out and re sealed it all up but still not doing anything about the seal - so I questioned it... they dont replace them they say. Insurers say so!! - and also that the fact bonded screens are hard to replace!!! - If they cant do the job then they shouldnt be saying they can!!!

Two weeks later - another broken screen (dont ask!) - and this time I made sure I was about to deal with these muppets and stated in clear tones about my concerns and that I wanted new seals..... it was a different pair of guys this time and I showed him the bodges done. The guy was disgusted and promised to do a decent job this time and true to his word he did!

But what I am saying is - is that if you need a new windscreen be careful who does it and be around whilst they are fitting it. Make sure they fit new seals too. And make sure they dont damage any interior trim - especially the A post covers!!!

My VR is on the original windscreen so far but has lots of horrible scratches on it - anyone know if they can be polished out???

Cheers

Scott

you can buy a glass polishing kit from machine mart about £20 i think. dont know how good it is i've never tried it might be worth a go :)

Re. Scotts extensive post above, spot on! Corrado screens are notoriously difficult to replace, make sure you watch them like a hawk, rather than being ushered in to the free coffe/waiting area so you can't see what is going on. Had no end of trouble with my screen when a crap garage decided to do it, including the seal this thread started about coming adrift and flapping in the wind at speeds over 40mph. Autoglass (who to be fair were excellent) rectified it and replaced screen and all seals, which fixed it. They also found nice rusting score marks all around the screen aperture caused by monkeys cutting screen out and just leaving it to rust coz the screen covered the damage. Total monkeys! :mad: Autoglass Norwich very good, but country wide i guess they are all franchises, watch them carefully! Dread the day my screen needs doing again.....not a popular screen to fit in the trade, i hear :roll:

Oh, and to answer your initial thread question.....when the seal you mention came adrift on mine, because the previous guys hadn't bothered to fit a new main seal, the only proper solution to the upper seal not seating was to fit a new main seal, which involves removing the screen, which, because it's bonded means normally breaking the screen during removal and fitting a new one! Straight on the phone to Norwich Union Direct! So because the 'approved' Bodyshop cut corners, they ended up coughing up for a new screen, new main seal, and new seal you refer to. tossers!

Sorry, waffling a bit tonight! As the man says, might be well worth your screen, ahem , accidentally breaking, provided they fit new seals at the same time as they replace the screen as a matter of policy.

By default they only replace the captive seals if they are unfit to re-use. The Corrado screen only comes with the rigid plastic side deflectors, which are pre-bonded to the glass. Seals are extra!

I had mine done last weekend and they did an excellent job using the existing rubber. I gave him the keys and picked it up 4 hours later. He's done loads of Corrados in the past and knew exactly what to do :lol:

K