Riley

Do the vr6's have a built in immobiliser?

As title really...

A mate of mine with a vr6 converted mk2 has no fuel/spark and it has been running for months with no problems previously.

There is no voltage at the coil pack with ignition on or when cranking.

It does have an aftermarket immobilser which seems to be deactivating fine (light goes off,car turns over,everything else works)

So is there an immobiliser in the ecu/key/ignition system somewhere?

Cheers,Neil. :)

They also prefer for questions about them to be posted in the Ice n Secure forum as well :tongue:

Ahhh, but my mates are currently stuck in the engine bay looking for a spark! :lol:

Cheers guys, how can i tell if its early/late?

Cheers,Neil.

If it's got a coilpack its one of the later units, 4 pin maf would make it a pretty sure bet.

Does it fire and cut out after a second or two? That's how the VAG immobiliser normally cuts in.

I'd throw it on VAG com to see if there is anything obvious.

There is a lot of info on here about the standard immobiliser playing around if you do a search.

Cheers mate,

Its not firing at all, no spark or fuel which seems a coincidence :cuckoo:

He has tried locating the diag port but struggling to find it with being a converted car...Any info on how the immobiliser works would be appreciated.

Is it in the key/ecu etc?

Neil.

I'd pt money on it not being the VW immobiliser if there is no spark or fuel whatsoever. I don't understand why people do a half arsed job and miss things like diagnostic ports off of engine conversions.

I'd look at crank sensor first, as that will allow cranking but prevent any sort of start.

Very late examples of the Corrado VR6 do indeed have a factory-fit immobiliser, but Vince @ Stealth has developed a defeat for it that he can apply at the same time as a remap.

Cheers chaps ill point Omar to this thread.

Toad, the thing is...There is no voltage at the coil at all, so probably not looking like crank sensor?

Neil. :)

Toad, the thing is...There is no voltage at the coil at all, so probably not looking like crank sensor?

FFS. The ecu will fire for a couple of revolutions and then cut the engine if it's the vw immobiliser, if it's even fitted, I already said that. if the crank sensor is shot, it won't detect that the engine is turning, so won't try to get a spark.

Just get VAG Com on, it'll save all this faffing around.

FFS. The ecu will fire for a couple of revolutions and then cut the engine if it's the vw immobiliser, if it's even fitted, I already said that. if the crank sensor is shot, it won't detect that the engine is turning, so won't try to get a spark.

I knew I shouldn't have let you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning :lol:

I knew I shouldn't have let you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning :lol:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah, shame we had to get up at all....

Anyway, I'm now grumpy.

You didn't say that at all,or at least not in a manner which i understood.Look at the question mark on the end, its there for a reason mate.

Im asking questions and looking for easily understandable replies as i know little about the vr6's...Im not looking for ar$ey bast/\rd replies...

Anyway, You are saying there will be a spark for a couple revolutions and then nothing? I said there's no spark at all so what does this tell me? Possible crank sensor? even though there's no fuel either?

And.FFS. :camp:

I already said that he's struggling to find the diag ports...or we would be looking for vag com wouldn't we.

Neil.

Bloody ell, i thought PhatVR6 had returned there for a minute?! You feelin OK Toad? :)

I'm sure the diagnostic wires can be tapped into near the ecu plug and connected that way. Stick pins through the K line and L line and 12v and ground and connect up your VAG com lead with spades.

I can't find my ECU pinout pdf at the moment, if you dont have a bentley manual PM me and I will dig something very useful out for you.

Pinout of the vag com lead attached.

Thats spot on cheers mate :cheers:

And another mate of mine does have a bentley, so ill have a lookie in there and see if Omar can borrow the lead from a chappie off Volksdevil 8)

Thamks mate.

Neil.

not all coil pack vr's have built in immobilisers, my 94 vr conversion didnt. good luck finding the problem though dude, hope it all works out

not all coil pack vr's have built in immobilisers, my 94 vr conversion didnt. good luck finding the problem though dude, hope it all works out

Yes only late coilpack cars (95/96???) had immobilisers. My old '94 L plate didnt have one. You can tell by the ignition key, the ones without immobiliser are just the plain thin Vw keys, with immob they are bit chunkier to hide the transponder.

This being a conversion though the original key might be taped up with the reciever coil somewhere behind the dash.

When I had a non-start problem like this a few years ago it turned out to the crank position sensor and the Hall Effect generator. Replaced them both and the engine sprung into life.

Yes only late coilpack cars (95/96???) had immobilisers.

Yup, this is correct. It was only the very last examples of the Corrado VR6 that had the immobiliser.

Yes only late coilpack cars (95/96???) had immobilisers.

Yup, this is correct. It was only the very last examples of the Corrado VR6 that had the immobiliser.

Blimey, it's almost like page 1 all over again... :lol:

THE IMMOBILISER WILL STILL LET THE ENGINE START AND THEN KILL IT A FEW SECONDS LATER - THIS IS NOT AN IMMOBILISER PROBLEM.

*cough*

THE IMMOBILISER WILL STILL LET THE ENGINE START AND THEN KILL IT A FEW SECONDS LATER - THIS IS NOT AN IMMOBILISER PROBLEM.

Yes, I know that! The immobiliser was a tangent to the main thread and I was just confirming which cars had the immobiliser.

As I said a couple of posts ago, I think it is the crank position sensor and/or the Hall Effect generator that is at fault here.

Hehe sorry, it just amused me that the thread seemed to be going round in circles :lol:

If the factory immobiliser is at fault, the engine will fire or a second or two, and then cut out.

The crank sensor will stop it from firing altogether.....

Seriously though, get VAG Com connected somehow, guessing at sensors is expensive and boring. The fault could also be ignition switch, ecu relay, ecu itself.

I felt I did explain the factory immobiliser in fairly understandable terms in my first post, and repeating myself gets me in a huff, so I'm off to the pinicle of VW forums, Edition 38, and not coming back ever again, you bunch of tards. :bad-words: :mad2: :hitler: :sleeping: :nono: :camp: :scratch: :p :P

repeating myself gets me in a huff, so I'm off to the pinicle of VW forums, Edition 38, and not coming back ever again, you bunch of tards. :bad-words: :mad2: :hitler: :sleeping: :nono: :camp: :scratch: :p :P

Talking about going round in circles..... :rofl: :lol: :grin: :D :lol: