Sign in to follow this  
Talc

First production hydrogen powered car

It's about bl**dy time! It'll be worth it just to see an end to this hybrid drive gimmicky scrollox manufacturers are peddling at the moment.

The only problem I have is the water emissions. Ok, so its good for the environment, but if you have the same amount of hydrogen cars on the road as you do now, there's going to be floods at worst, big old puddles and lots of skidding and accidents at best. The roads will always be wet.

N'est-ce pas?

i agree with this make cars use something different as eventually the petrol will run out! and you know you got the love the environment etc but i love my car i love the nice smells of a petrol gussling beast! so unless we all transfer our cars to hydrogen or whatever then bye bye raddos wen bye bye petrol!

plus i dont want to loose anymore horses

The only problem I have is the water emissions. Ok, so its good for the environment, but if you have the same amount of hydrogen cars on the road as you do now, there's going to be floods at worst, big old puddles and lots of skidding and accidents at best. The roads will always be wet.

N'est-ce pas?

Hydrogen cars will be perfect as company cars/rep mobiles etc, but i have to agree with the comment above. Ok we wont be chucking co2 into the atmosphere, but cars account for around 2%, so it wont have a massive impact, but what will it do to the world's weather when we release bucket loads of water into the weather systems?

isn't water vapour the biggest greenhouse gas? this'll be worse than petrol/co2 emitions for the environment for more reasons than stated above if it is :cuckoo:

Erm, lets go back further than the emissions - where do you get hydrogen from in the first place? Usually as a by-product of electrolysis which uses huge amounts of electricity, which is generally generated by coal or oil-fired power stations, or nuclear power.

I don't think we're outta the woods yet kids...

Erm, lets go back further than the emissions - where do you get hydrogen from in the first place? Usually as a by-product of electrolysis which uses huge amounts of electricity, which is generally generated by coal or oil-fired power stations, or nuclear power.

I don't think we're outta the woods yet kids...

Agreed.

All this cars causing global warming is b0ll0x imo. They're using it as a excuse to tax tax tax. Unless areas such as industry are also tackled these hydrogen cars arent going to have much of an impact.

I attended an energy lecture once where the topic included the subject of nuclear power stations on the moon. :scratch:

Copious energy would be safely generated thousands of miles away, the power station(s) would be mostly unmanned, being visited by humans only for maintenance, etc. Stranger things have happened, but let's not hold our breath.

as the artical clearly states the most common way to produce hydrogen is to use fossil fuels that actually produces more carbon dioxide than the burning of an equivalent quantity of petrol or deisel :cuckoo: go figure its another GREEN marketing campaign

N'est-ce pas?

Are you high? Think about it some more dude. It will be vapour, and not likely to pool in massive quantities on the road.

If you've followed an octogenarian in a Rover recently you should be no stranger to seeing water running out of the exhaust :)

N'est-ce pas?

Are you high? Think about it some more dude. It will be vapour, and not likely to pool in massive quantities on the road.

Yeah, most of the time! :rainbowafro: :p

I'm not so sure about that, there will be still some water coming out. Either way, its still chucking way more water into the air than normal. Biblical floods I tell you! :D

Think i'll get a Hydrogen powered Speedboat then...

all this electricity to create hydrogen thing, theres plenty of alternate power out there... wind, water etc...

It's just another way of *relocating* the pollution, similar to electric cars and hybrids. As has already been stated above, it doesn't actually consume any less energy or consume any less fossil fuels.

As for the comments about wet roads.. jeez dude.. ;) The amount of MASS of water coming out will be miniscule, and will generally be in vapour form. Lets look at a high polluting car, for an example. 300 gm/km of CO2. If you produce 300 gm/km of water that's one can of coke's worth every 0.7 miles. Hardly a biblical flood now..

It's just another way of *relocating* the pollution, similar to electric cars and hybrids. As has already been stated above, it doesn't actually consume any less energy or consume any less fossil fuels.

As for the comments about wet roads.. jeez dude.. ;) The amount of MASS of water coming out will be miniscule, and will generally be in vapour form. Lets look at a high polluting car, for an example. 300 gm/km of CO2. If you produce 300 gm/km of water that's one can of coke's worth every 0.7 miles. Hardly a biblical flood now..

Ok, I concede. :notworthy: I had Charlton Heston on standby too!

Charlton_Heston_in_The_Ten_Commandments.jpg[/attachment:14nolzeh]

However I'm still building a boat in my back garden just in case.

all this electricity to create hydrogen thing, theres plenty of alternate power out there... wind, water etc...

Yeah, but you need a lot of juice to make enough hydrogen to power a car. When you're pumping petrol into a car, it's flowing through the nozze by the megajoule.

Wind and water are ok to an extent and I'm all for that, but there's only so much you can generate that way and it's pretty inefficient. The reason you have huge power stations with enormously high voltage transmission lines is because you get huge losses and the only way to make them even sensible as a percentage is to have huge amounts of everything.

As far as I can see, the only real solution to the problem is to not use as much energy in the first place. Make stuff better and more efficient at using what it uses rather than just making cheap disposable stuff. It's gonna happen sooner or later...

However I'm still building a boat in my back garden just in case.

:lol:

Right, so I'm going to build a water feature inside my C. Not only will this provide a relaxing "babbling brook" soundtrack for when I am stuck in traffic, but will also power a waterwheel. Coupled with this will be two masts on the roof, complete with sails, flags and a crows' nest...

My biggest problem with these eco-cars is that they look gash. That Honda looks like a Prius. Ugly ugly things.

I did hear that Lotus built a car that ran on bio-fuel that was faster than their petrol cars though, so this is hope for the green future :clap:

1 can of coke per 0.7miles is a huge amount.

How many cars do we have in the world, and how many miles do they cover?

Also, power stations on the moon??!?! How the hell does that work?

.....power stations on the moon??!?! How the hell does that work?

'Seasy, man!

Once made, energy can be stored in batteries or similar.

Just think of fleets of those giant ore carrying space freighters (like in "Alien") carrying millions of uncharged/charged batteries to and from the moon. :nuts:

The more you think about it the more plausible it becomes.

Some of us may be wired to the moon, :cuckoo: but I dont think you would send electricity down cable running to the earth.

I expect dr_mat can tell us more about energy storage and how you get it to earth from the moon.

.....power stations on the moon??!?! How the hell does that work?

'Seasy, man!

Once made, energy can be stored in batteries or similar.

Just think of fleets of those giant ore carrying space freighters (like in "Alien") carrying millions of uncharged/charged batteries to and from the moon. :nuts:

The more you think about it the more plausible it becomes.

Some of us may be wired to the moon, :cuckoo: but I dont think you would send electricity down cable running to the earth.

I expect dr_mat can tell us more about energy storage and how you get it to earth from the moon.

Ah ha, did anyone else read on the BBC website or see it on the national news that scientists have found a way to transmitt electricity via the air (Wi-tricity) albeit its only a miniscule amount of power being transmitted and over a very short distance. But it proves its possible and could be something used in the future.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/wireless-0607.html

1 can of coke per 0.7miles is a huge amount.

How many cars do we have in the world, and how many miles do they cover?

You'd rather it was CO2 instead, which floats off into the upper atmosphere and traps the heat in, accelerating global warming?

There's water vapour in the air anyway. At 20 deg C and 40% humidity the atmosphere contains about 7 gm per cubic metre of water vapour. How many cubic metres do you drive through in one kilometre? Adding your 0.3 gm of water vapour per metre travelled? That is then spread out sideways but mostly above your car (water vapour is less dense than the surrounding air), so it drifts off up into the atmosphere. But it's not poisonous, which is nice..

Seriously dude, it's nothing. ;)

But it misses the point. As dinkus says, the answer is to make cars more efficient, not to make them use different fuels. Reality is that transporting petrol about is the most efficient way of distributing energy to moving vehicles (i.e. things that are incapable of being fed by a permanent, fixed electricity supply)

Ask me an easy one why don't ya??

I image there would be a really big torch ...

Remote transmission of electrical power is still quite inefficient. Maybe it'll get better.. but I guess if someone believes we can make hundreds of gigawatts of energy on the moon with little or no effort, then losing 70-90% of it on transmission to earth doesn't seem such a big deal.