Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Something about the new Scirocco I like at last

Picked up several of the first preview brochures today, not much detail in it but does open up in to a fairly decent 3ft x 2ft poster

A free poster isn't enough to make me want to part with £20k+ for a Golf in drag!

Careful: The VR6 was £20k in the early '90's - and it is a Golf in drag... :shock:

Plus, I've got an e-mail inviting me to pre-order from my local retailer.

I'm tempted to speculate. :p

Careful: The VR6 was £20k in the early '90's - and it is a Golf in drag... :shock:

Plus, I've got an e-mail inviting me to pre-order from my local retailer.

I'm tempted to speculate. :p

not the wisest of moves in this economic climate............more chance of getting your fingers burned with this credit crunch

I wouldn't see anyone making a profit on a Scirocco - maybe running one for a month and breaking even is a possibility. If I ordered one it would need to be in Viper green

Careful: The VR6 was £20k in the early '90's - and it is a Golf in drag...

The VR6 was different - it was GOOD. It handled like it was on rails and went like a train. VW didn't really offer anything that competed with it unless you count rare and expensive cars like the MK2 16VG60 Limited - these days you can get the same (well, better) performance, equally good handling and arguably better looks in the Golf GTI. Why the hell would you bother with a new Scirocco? I'd like one if it was going to be a little bit different, but it if ends up like the TT (in the corporate contract hire 'pool') then there will be a gazillion out there.

Ah - the rarity value coupled with looks/handling.

A few years ago I enquired at the DVLA how many Cs there were (taxed or SORNed).

Of the 9000-odd sold in the UK between the launch and the mid nineties (some VR6s were registered in 1996), less than half remained.

That was in 2002, when the number of cars being broken was very small. This is no-longer the case, as the Sales forum shows...

there's a bit of a review over on the msn homepage, they think its fab, 5 out of 5 it got!they even called it a masterpiece of a motor! high praise indeed...... i'm still undecided on it but i do like the green colour it comes in.

i'd post the link but i've forgot how to do it!

i'd post the link but i've forgot how to do it!

Copy and paste pal :)

not the wisest of moves in this economic climate............more chance of getting your fingers burned with this credit crunch

credit crunch my eye

what a bunch of scaremongering that creates an excuse to raise prices, its idiotic fear that will lead us into financial trouble

Seen some good, some bad, the express weren't impressed with it, basically summed up as a golf gti with all the practcial parts removed...

I've got mixed feelings of the look of it myself, just need to see it in the flesh to help decide i guess.

It's probably going to come down to what top gear say about it for a lot of people.. and I do hope they review it in this series.

Lets hope the launch is prepared better than for the Passat CC.

80% of CC's are expected to be diesel and in GT spec, every UK retailer has to have one car for launch so its obvious what they have been sent - 1.8 turbo petrols in standard spec.

All UK spec GT's are sitting at the port in Emdem on 17" alloys when they should be on 18"s.

Talk about not being able to arrange a *iss up in a brewery, mind you they can't really get the Scirocco launch wrong with only the 2.0TFSi available this year

Whilst in Germany and travelling through A'dam airport I noticed how pretty much all the mainstream motoring press is full of reviews on the new Scirocco, following a recent invite to Lissabon for test drives (where VW turned up ith 40 of the things), and they all love it.

It certainly is a car that's aimed at the trendy youngster, iPod and all, possibly not into tinkering with cars (not that you could with modern cars, or would if you've just bought one brandnew), so lifestyle yuppies with a little too much money to burn.

prices have now been fixed for Germany, and as always will be higher elsewhere. Here's the official price list

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/de/Models/scirocco/media.Par.0001.File.pdf

(note the immensely long options list and associated high prices :gag: )

and German brochure

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/de/Models/scirocco/media.Par.0002.File.pdf

Tempest

Evo quite like the new Scirocco in this month's mag. They give it a 4.5 out of 5.

Key comments being; "Handles better than the Golf, cheaper than the Golf".

It also looks better being hooned around their track (in the flesh as it were) than it does in the press photos, although, imo, it *still* looks like a diseased slice of battenburg cake.

The front is just hideous. A cross between the new (equally hideous) subaru and a Chevrolet Trailblazer.

What is wrong with car designers these days? Someone actually signed off that ugly POS Subaru, and the Scirocco, as something nice for the public to buy. What a joke!

Got back from Stuttgart yesterday and was browsing the motoring press whilst I was there. New Scirocco features quite heavily in all the mags at the moment obviously. They absolutely love it over there. And it looks wicked in the Viper Green. Interestingly they get around the fact that it's not a coupe by referring to the original Scirocco as a hatchback. :? As opposed to our press that just think if they call it a coupe everyone will start believing it. I'll try and get some scans up of one of the better articles I picked up.

hmmmmm, keep looking at it, quite like it but then there is also something just not quite right :confused4:

maybe it just needs siting on it's arse with some slightly fatter rims, oh and an s-charged R36 :D :lol: :lol:

This weeks Autocar has a very positive test of the Scirocco (in Viper green) against the 1 series coupe. Must admit it looks good in this colour

I believe we get them here in Germany in August - I'm going to see if I can blag a test drive, they love us Brits test driving their cars as we can buy them TAX FREE. Niiiice.

This weeks Autocar has a very positive test of the Scirocco (in Viper green) against the 1 series coupe.

Must have been during the press invite in Lissabon recently, where Ritchie aka SCOstfriesland also was invited and had a chance of driving one. VW did have 2 or so Mk1 Roccos at this event, and most people according to Ritchie were still pleasantly surprised how well the Mk1 stood up against modern cars in terms of handling and driving pleasure.

Tempest

Shame this isn't the production car, if it looked like this i would of sold my C to put down a deposit and i'd cycle to work in the mean time!

sc2.jpg

Shame this isn't the production car, if it looked like this i would of sold my C to put down a deposit and i'd cycle to work in the mean time!

sc2.jpg

Sheesh, get over that picture already.

It looks good how it is anyhow. They said so on Top Gear. So there! :p