yorkshireone

Which tools do I need for basic Corrado maintainence

One of the most useful gadgets is a flexible stalk with a magnet on the end for retrieving bits that you drop into inaccessible places. This can save hours of frustration. Again Halfords; relatively speaking they cost peanuts.

And a can of PlusGas.

If you are going to get down to suspension and brakes, a rear caliper piston winder is cheap enough at £20, and a taper joint breaker is probably even less.

The list is endless of course, but there is nothing like having the right tools; there is a lot of damage you can do to the car (and yourself!!) by bodging. You just can't beat the satisfaction of doing a proper job and saving hundreds of pounds in garage bills into the bargain.

My latest puchase? A really good set of overalls with lots of pockets. You only have to save one pair of jeans and a shirt from terminal oilstains and it has paid for itself.

Best wishes

RB

Thats the one! Lovely, might have a walk upto halfords this afternoon then. Anyone know where you can get the VR6 plug removal tools? Im guessing the stealers sell them?

the stealers sell them there around 8 quid for the plastic one.

id get a decent basic spanner set- from someone like teng or the halfords pro jobbies- something like a 10,11,12,13,16,17,19mm set is all you need, just for those bolts where theres not enough room to get a socket in there. adjustabes (unless theyre really expensive ones) are the devils work ;)

Latex gloves...or is it just me? :camp:

No youre not the only one :lol: i picked up 3 boxes of gloves for 6 quid i think it was from standford. thats 600 pairs of gloves :lol:

Allen keys can be useful too. You got any ramps?

My breaker bar is my best friend :tongue: Half inch. With some decent impact drive bits if you can afford them as they resist shattering if you're really tugging hard. :ignore:

Also an angle grinder is good for a "final solution" to seized bolts.

Those magnets in the end of car aerials are soo handy - one chap mentioned them above.

Decent axle stands and a hydraulic jack which can accomodate extreme lowness.

Anti-seize like copper slip is useful for re-assembly.

the good thing with gloves is you just take them off and your done,and no arguement with your lady about a dirty sink etc. :)

I dont find thats always the case. Lets face it they rip fairly easily so you do get your hands dirty, just nowhere near as dirty. They're ideal for oil changes where you risk getting oil all over your hand when taking the sump plug out.

Dumb of me not to mention some Irwin bolt grippers, to try BEFORE the angle grinder. Cant praise those bolt grippers more.

Don't forget a trolley jack and axle stands. Even the cheapest kit from Machine Mart will do you fine :)

Yeah got a trolley jack, axle stands and a couple of ramps too. :)