Sean_Jaymo

Sean Jaymo - Grey Scale!! Pg8 - Go on have a look!

Right I'm Narked off!

Went and got all of my bits despite VW doing their best to stop me. Eventually got round to replacing the rear left stub axle, bearings, brake pads and discs. Made a start on the right hand rear to replace the pads, discs and bearings only to be beaten by the carrier bolts rounding off!

No luck getting them out after 2 days now, want to use my easy-outs but cant get a drill in there to drill. The easy outs aren't broad enough to get them out! Viper pliers are no good so some stud extractors will be used next! Anyway replaced the pads and the old disc is in good condition (only replacing as I am going to the ring in a few weeks and the left rear disc was fubar'd) Drove it like that for 2 days only for me to go out this evening and hear a loud knocking noise from the rear?

Pull over and have a look but can't see anything anywhere which is wrong. Decided to come home and literally 200 yards from home, touch the brakes and the rear carrier I had just replaced gives way and clangs around in the wheel on it's flexi hose! Pulled over in the dark to look, get the car up in the air to inspect the damage to find the 2 carrier bolts are missing (couldn't see in the poor light what happened to them?) it's taken the abs sensor with it and put a dent in the solid brake line!!

This car is awesome and I love it but sometimes it tries me! Those bolts were done up correctly, 65nm as I found out and they were new bolts. I'm an engineer by trade and i'm confused to where those poxy little gits have gone!!

New ABS sensor cost anyone?

While i'm on here having a bitch about Corrados, I joined the CCGB and feel like i've been a bit mugged off. £10 and nothing really to show for it? Am I missing the point with that place? There is so much more information to hand here?!

On a brighter note, the new stub axle seems to have cured the wheel alignment issue!

Right..... In the words of The Prodigy..... Breathe Baby!!!

Try this place for the sensors

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_brakes.php

Had the same problems with the carrier bolts on my old mk3 golf vr6, i had to use a stud extractor in the end, spent hours the day before trying to get it off. Took abouk 10 mins with the extractor. Don't know what could have happened to the bolts. I had a similar thing with my drive shafts. all done per VW specs but somehow some of them bolts managed to come loose and the shaft span off in the middle of a roundabout. I done them again with a bit of locktight and they have been fine since.

Iknow how you feel with your car, but would you really want anything else? :grin: Was at a mates last night, his corrado has been off the road for 6 months after he detonated the engine. So now it has a new engine, and is all mot'd and road legal again he got a mint set of seats for it. Looks really nice now, but i noticed yeterday that the heater matrix is knackered and is leaking. Now that would pi*s me off but he is so happy just to be able to drive his car again that he wasn't bothered at all. They are just so pretty, wish i had got a grey C now, you r car looks :luvlove:

Sounds like a bit of an arse!

Hope you get it all sorted soon. Should certainly handle a bit better 8)

I used to feel the same about the CCGB club many many moons ago. Felt very flat cap and rug on the back parcel shelf when I used to go to meets. Lots of talk about the forthcoming Sunday lunch but not much car talk :lol: BUT that was a long time ago and I am sure the new revised club is a different kettle of fish 8) Hope so anyway! :grin:

Do love the way your car looks mate. The grey is lurvely. Get flash backs to staring at a grey one at a VW dealer in Bristol on the comp 8 years ago when I was looking for one. Wish I had made the effort to do the 300 mile round trip to look at it now! LOL

Cheers fella! I love her really! She's just a bit naughty!

I'm going to go and look there for my bits and pieces now...

I know how you feel with the C, everytime I find something broken on her and then get round to fixing it, the sound of the VR instantly puts a big smile on my face and all is instantly forgiven!!

Next step in the saga is that going out this morning to investigate in some light, I discover that my locking wheel key magically vanished overnight! Walked the route back to where I got stuck but it wasn't to be found anywhere...!! Grumble grumble! Something else to sort out.

Ho Hum!!

Next step in the saga is that going out this morning to investigate in some light, I discover that my locking wheel key magically vanished overnight! Walked the route back to where I got stuck but it wasn't to be found anywhere...!! Grumble grumble! Something else to sort out.

Ho Hum!!

LOL You cant let it get you down!

I wont although I give VW a ring for a cost for my bits and pieces as I am picking up some other stuff from them tomorrow.

ABS Rear sensor for a VR6 - £107!!! They are generally quite competitive for me for a lot of things but not on that unfortunately!!

Sometimes I wonder!! Off to VW Spares!!

I wont although I give VW a ring for a cost for my bits and pieces as I am picking up some other stuff from them tomorrow.

ABS Rear sensor for a VR6 - £107!!! They are generally quite competitive for me for a lot of things but not on that unfortunately!!

It is a shame they dont offer discounts on the older cars say over 10 or 12 years old. That way they could keep them in the dealer network.

Porsche used to do a similar thing when my mum had her 944S2 Cab. And although they were not cheap they were at least competetive with GSF etc. They used to offer some good servicing deals as well.

Hi sean,

It seems a common problem with the carrier bolts, i had both fall out on me too and left me stranded. They''re a PITA. I did find though that the Irwin bolt grippers got them out in a jiffy.

As for the sensor, £107 seems very steap just bought one myself a few weeks ago for £68 inc VAT. I'd love to know why the rears are alot more expensive to the front!??

I thought that was steep! I try and go to VW where possible as they tend to give me trade prices and I prefer to use genuine. Sometimes it costs a touch more tho.

Just bought a rear sensor from AVS (VW Spares) for £66 delivered. Daft prices really for what is a something as simple as a whole load of coils measuring differences in a magnetic field....

Have spoken to APS to do the brake line as I don't want that worry. Also getting the alignment done. May also have the rear bushes done at the same time!

Operation Nurburgring is still one!!

As for the sensor, £107 seems very steap just bought one myself a few weeks ago for £68 inc VAT. I'd love to know why the rears are alot more expensive to the front!??

They have a longer wire.......

Also they aren't used on any other VAG car so they don't sell as many. The fronts are used on lots of cars AFAIK.

Sods law I'm guessing! Never mind eh?! I've got a new one now so lets hope it works :D

I'm now seeing the joys of Corrado ownership coming to fruition!

They have a longer wire.......

Also they aren't used on any other VAG car so they don't sell as many. The fronts are used on lots of cars AFAIK.

Typical. :?

Well an update! I know some of you are loosing sleep with the current situation with my car :D

Replaced the bolts for the brake carrier and these ones have settled correctly this time. Still confused as to why the old ones never?! Have check torqued them twice now and all ok :)

The car is off to Storm Developments next week to have the brake line replaced and seeing as they need to drop the rear axle, they are going to do the bushes for me at the same time. New brake fluid will be welcome aswell as I have no history of that in my pile of reciepts. Was primed to do it myself but i'm a little out of my comfort zone making brake lines so they can do it...!

I have also done a few sets of rear axle bushes on various cars over the year and i'm not doing them on this! I just can't be doing with the hassle!

Had the courier arrive at lunch time with a new abs sensor as well so will plumb that in tomorrow!

Have also treated myself to a new set of JL Audio front door speakers as I am missing one and the other is utter tosh and an iPod cable so no more crap radio transmitter for me! Will slowly update the sound system as I work my way through it!

Local forum is also having a RR day on Saturday so will see how many ponies I have for the ring in a few weeks!

All in all, things are looking up for me and GEW!!! Giggity!! :clap:

Pleased you are getting it sorted, My sig is a dig at my boss because he thinks that old cars are a waste of money. Sometime it just gets to me. I know some people think that old cars are a false economy but it really annoys me. He has had 2 mercs both from new the first he traded in for the newest one. That only had 30k on the clock and it had every service but he just changed it before its first Mot. The new one is the same spec, just with a different leather interior and paint and to top it off it has a private plate that make it look like it was registered in 05 not 08. Whats the point in that. Now to my point after my rant. Don't think of the money our old cars are costing us, think of the money we are saving not being foolish enough to buy new. Every cloud and all :clap:

That is how I justify the VR6 as I don't spend a small fortune every month financing it... Allows me to pay for little goodies!

I fitted the new ABS sensor this evening and removed the old spacers on the rear wheels... Yes!! they were doing my head in!!

Next on the list is a damn good clean! It's minging! :gag:

I'm not going to be at the April meet Wigit and we are taking Lynsey's mk5 to the May meet... Will get it to a meet at some point tho :)

hey pal, glad to hear it's all coming together :)

it seems you're really not alone with the carrier bolts...

i FINALLY got my car back yesterday! :clap: :clap: :clap: (going to update my thread a little later) and it rewarded me by shedding the bolts when i was about 15 miles from home!

my pads have been shredded and the seal on the piston on my calliper and one of the seals on the carrier-slider have also been given the good news :(

got the new bits arriving at vw tomorrow, so hopefully get it back up together to get the gearbox sorted on fri.

anyway, car is looking good as usual, keep it up! :D

It is typical isn't it!

It shredded the inside pad on mine as well... Never mind new parts and all is well!

Quite concerned on the few occasions where these bolts have come out! Shouldn't happen!

Yours is looking good my man! Keep it up!

Went along to one of the local forums rolling roads this morning. Was in 2 minds as to how much power she was putting out. The results are:

193.9bhp @ 6031rpm and 178.8lbft @ 5305rpm

Fairly happy with the results! Show that 155k has be kind on her! VW build them well!

Went along to one of the local forums rolling roads this morning. Was in 2 minds as to how much power she was putting out. The results are:

193.9bhp @ 6031rpm and 178.8lbft @ 5305rpm

Fairly happy with the results! Show that 155k has be kind on her! VW build them well!

can't grumble with those figures :D

Not bad, I had the car in at Storm Developments yesterday for a new brake line and rear axle bushes replacement. They had a bit of a pig with it and it was a long day but they did well. New brakes are gripping well in a straight line however there is a good few inches of travel before the brakes bite. They pressure bleed it 5 times for me as well....

Any ideas?

Not bad, I had the car in at Storm Developments yesterday for a new brake line and rear axle bushes replacement. They had a bit of a pig with it and it was a long day but they did well. New brakes are gripping well in a straight line however there is a good few inches of travel before the brakes bite. They pressure bleed it 5 times for me as well....

Any ideas?

hey pal, there are a couple of bleed nipples on top of the abs pump - you should wind those out and see what happens there; they are quite often forgotten about. also if you re-bleed the system then hold open the bias valve at the rear by unbolting it from the rear axle and hanging a set of molegrips or something off it to make sure it's as open as it can be.

corrado vr6 brakes are notoriously crap to bleed! :?

Cheers Pete, I have just gone and bleed the master cylinder. Works a treat now! The amount of air that came out isn't funny!

They must of missed that one as it is hidden underneath the air intake but in all honesty, it only took 5 minutes top to do and shouldn't of been missed. I had no history on when the brakes had been last bleed but they were definitely a touch squirmish under heavy loading! Perfectly straight now and they are trying to put me through the windscreen in comparison! Storm said that they got loads of sludge out of the system! Scary eh! Think about all of those unloved cars on the road that never have this kind of thing looked at!

Typically enough, Popped out a little bit ago and the head unit decides to give up the ghost!! It will come on and work well enough but won't play any sound! Poxy thing!

Nevermind! It just so happens I shelled out £50 for an iPod adapter last week that I will now have to sell on as i'm sure any head unit I buy these days has iPod connectivity built in (probably through buying another adapter!!) Unless anyone can recommend a decent Pioneer unit for sensible cash that uses the CD-IB100dII adapter for the iPod?