Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

VW Golf MKVI

Yeah - not so good. And really REALLY irritating that it apes the Scirocco's front grille. I wish VW would make their cars a little different on the front end to make them stand out a bit!

Hmmmm...... the MK5 is a looker, but the MK6 has clearly picked up the family's ugly gene.

It will be interesting to see what the MK6's perceived quality is like because it's the first VW car to undergo their new simplification (read cost cutting) process at the factory.

Was speaking to a guy at VW the other day and he said all new VW's are going to have this style shallow or 'friendly' looking grill and will leave the big aggressive (and good looking) grills to the likes of Audi's and Seats :( He had a few colourful things to say about the new Scirocco thats for sure :lol: had a good laugh with him actually.

Yeah it does look like a very pedestrian friendly bonnet doesn't it?

That's the trick you see, they now make the frontal impact very hard to jellify people's legs, but the bonnet soft and spongey to flick them up and over the roof. Cool. Minimal damage to paint and panels 8)

Apparently the cost cutting is not so much in terms of the materials used but more to do with the time it takes to put everything together. A typical Golf takes twice as long to build as an equivalent Astra / Focus etc. Volkswagen say that the cost saving in terms of production costs is about $700 per car - not that any of that will be passed on to the customer though.

I'm not convinced - the MK4 always seemed to be built of higher grade materials, certainly the bits you can touch and feel - hope the MK6 does not continue the trend

shame that after making a comeback from the dull Mk 3 & 4 years with the Mk5 that VW go and undo all the good work with this monument to a lack of inspiration... i take it that the Passat, Jetta and Polo are all due to be overhauled by a similarly bland hand :cuckoo:

shame that after making a comeback from the dull Mk 3 & 4 years with the Mk5 that VW go and undo all the good work with this monument to a lack of inspiration... i take it that the Passat, Jetta and Polo are all due to be overhauled by a similarly bland hand :cuckoo:

Yeah thats what the guy i was speaking with said. He said they wont have a deep grill anymore and will look more 'friendly' because the VW cars are more family based and then sporty Seats will have the aggressive grill stylings etc.

These cars are not aimed at petrol heads or car enthusiasts.

They are aimed a Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs who want a reliable and sturdy family car with a bit of go.

Room for the kids and the shopping and space for the golf clubs.

I think they will be pleased.

:sleeping:

Just furthur devalues the new Scirocco in terms of looks.

Be interesting to see what the GTi look like..

I'm seeing a pattern here:

Mk1- Good

Mk2 - Gooder

Mk3 - Uggo

Mk4 - Meh...

Mk5 - Good

Mk6 - Uggo

maybe problems DO come in (multiples of) 3! :lol:

5-door "IROC" ... I KNEW IT!

:sleeping: Lazy design.... But on the positive is a big direction change at the front from the MK3/4/5 evolution...

Oh and Jon...

MK1 Greatest

Mk2 Fat Mk1

Mk3 Ugly Fat Mk2 with specs

Mk4 Bland (To quote that Full-English sketch from Goodness Gracious Me "Give me the blandest thing on the menu!")

Mk5 Bit better than Mk4

Now MK6... :shrug:

Still won't make me run out and spend all the pennies I haven't got though!

I'm seeing a pattern here:

Mk1- Good

Mk2 - Gooder

Mk3 - Uggo

Mk4 - Meh...

Mk5 - Good

Mk6 - Uggo

maybe problems DO come in (multiples of) 3! :lol:

:lol: Get Real! How is a Mk2 Golf gooder than a Mk1?

The Golf VI will have three and five door versions, a rumoured cabriolet and of course the GTI which may get a glass roof. A new 1.6-liter TFSI engine is also said to be on the plans generating about 200 bhp, however, the Golf VI is set to get a new entry level engine below the 1.4-liter TSI found in the current generation. According to Wolfgang Steiger, VW's manager for powertrain research, tells the new generation Golf will offer either a 1.0-liter or 1.2-liter engine producing 75 horsepower. A final decision on which displacement will be used is yet to be finalised. It will depend on whether VW management decides on three or four cylinders. (WTF? A 1ltr 3cylinder MK6 Golf?? The thing won't even MOVE!)

Diesel engines are also expected to equip the hatchback, both in BlueMotion and twin-drive plug-in hybrid versions which are scheduled for release from 2010. The GTI will get even more power than the current model with an engine delivering 230 hp, and an even hotter 4Motion performance edition along the lines of the current R32 producing 265 hp following later.

The Mk2 is automatically gooder because I owned one. VW wanted me to own a Mk1 on it's release but unfortunately I hadn't been invented yet and the Mk1 suffered as a result :lol:

seriously though, I think the Mk2 is a good evolution. It may not be better, but I don't think it's worse. It gave us the 16v engine after all?

Disclaimer: I am probably wrong.

Yes you are...:lol: in Gti terms Nowt will beat a mk1 out the box...

The Golf VI will have three and five door versions, a rumoured cabriolet and of course the GTI which may get a glass roof. A new 1.6-liter TFSI engine is also said to be on the plans generating about 200 bhp, however, the Golf VI is set to get a new entry level engine below the 1.4-liter TSI found in the current generation. According to Wolfgang Steiger, VW's manager for powertrain research, tells the new generation Golf will offer either a 1.0-liter or 1.2-liter engine producing 75 horsepower. A final decision on which displacement will be used is yet to be finalised. It will depend on whether VW management decides on three or four cylinders. (WTF? A 1ltr 3cylinder MK6 Golf?? The thing won't even MOVE!)

Diesel engines are also expected to equip the hatchback, both in BlueMotion and twin-drive plug-in hybrid versions which are scheduled for release from 2010. The GTI will get even more power than the current model with an engine delivering 230 hp, and an even hotter 4Motion performance edition along the lines of the current R32 producing 265 hp following later.

So any-one care to bet on the "performance" figures for a 1.0/ 75hp MK6 goof which will undoubtedly be heavier than a MKV?

I'll start with 0-60... Unable to calculate due to the car's top speed being 52mph! :tongue:

Mmm, I have to say I do like the Mk1. Shame good ones are so costly. I bought a shell in Mars Red back in the day which looked gorgeous but was rotting from the inside out. I'd like a really early one with the small rear clusters, they look nice.

A top speed of 52mph would mean it'll be redlining at the legal minimum motorway speed! :shock:

I dont like it, it looks huuuuuuuuge.

If you blanked off the rear windows it would be a Transit almost!

I might change my mind when I see a GTI or R version in the metal but for now its a big thumbs down from me

The Mk2 is automatically gooder because I owned one.

You're not wrong :D

MK1 - Not the first hot hatch as everyone thinks. A rust bucket with schitt brakes, schitt heater, slow arse wipers and soggy suspension. Not very quick either, rubbish aerodynamics.

MK2 - And the 16V in particular was VW's first, proper GTI imo :D

MK3 - Better build quality than MK2, not sporty enough for the GTI badge.

MK4 - Has a great platform to do great things, but unrealised by VW. Soggy blancmange arsed gibbon wagon....

MK5 - Technically the best yet....by a country mile. Brilliant engine, even better chassis, great looking.

MK6 - Fugly.... but still a driver's car underneath.

The Mk2 is automatically gooder because I owned one.

You're not wrong :D

MK1 - Not the first hot hatch as everyone thinks. A rust bucket with schitt brakes, schitt heater, slow arse wipers and soggy suspension. Not very quick either, rubbish aerodynamics.

MK2 - And the 16V in particular was VW's first, proper GTI imo :D

MK3 - Better build quality than MK2, not sporty enough for the GTI badge.

MK4 - Has a great platform to do great things, but unrealised by VW. Soggy blancmange arsed gibbon wagon....

MK5 - Technically the best yet....by a country mile. Brilliant engine, even better chassis, great looking.

MK6 - Fugly.... but still a driver's car underneath.

So, what was the first hot hatch?

alfa-sud or something.

have to disagree about the mk1, it's easy to compare an early 70's design of car to what we expect today, but try comparing to other manufacturers offerings of the day, Vauxhall Chevette anyone?