Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

New Engine From VW

Spoke to VW and I can get a new 'basic engine' (not a short engine) for £2800 inc VAT with a 2 year guarantee.

As its £2500ish for a rebuild would you say thats a pretty good price? Awesome reckon it is.

How much to swap my engine over with that? Obviously using my ancilleries.

It comes with, as VW said, the 'sump up' including the head, no ancilleries'.

I'd check it is an "all new" engine, doubt there are any knocking about.

About 8 years ago, from memory, a mate (who worked at Murray's Hatfield) went to a special invite parts auction at VAG MK where they were selling "obsolete stock" including MK1GTi blocks/heads. Anything that wasn't sold was scrapped and broken up in a big skip to be melted down.

So that would make VAG's shelf life for big parts about 18 years... Last Mk1Gti was 82, auction would have been 99/2000??

If they aren't then they will be a "re-manufactured" engine, basically a "good" Block and Head with re-ground crank and oversized bearings.. This is what they offer for Air-cooled stuff and early Gti's now too...

For £2800 I reckon I would probably buy a complete car that had just had head/chains done! You have a complete donor car then. Very depressing how cheap Corrado's have become. Worth more as parts than cars :drinking:

it will be a recon unit, they usually are, but they make sure they are as good as new IIRC, i know vauxhall do the same thing.

is £2500 for a rebuild using standard parts and keeping your block?

and do VW want your engine in exchange for the new one and £2800?

Yeah thats an exchange price but the one you get is often brand new or as good as... great price when you consider the price of a rebuild and what doesn't get changed!

The 2.8 is nearly a grand cheaper and the other place to consider is VEGE, a mate paid £1400 exchange for a 2.8 VR for his Vento and so quiet it's unbelievable!

Also VW have specials from time to time - G60 Block inc pictons, crank and oil pump - £499+vat

I'd have a new VW factory exchange engine over most places rebuilds any day!

I spoke to Vege a couple of weeks ago out of interest and their price for a 2.9 ABV VR was £1705.56 including VAT and a 10% discount off their standard price.

Delivered next day to you for £40 - if you're interested! :)

The price from VW wasn't an exchange, if I did exchange it it only got 5% off.

Might have to look at VEGE engines, remember reading about them a while back.

I spoke to Vege a couple of weeks ago out of interest and their price for a 2.9 ABV VR was £1705.56 including VAT and a 10% discount off their standard price.

Blimey, that's quite a bit of a bargain! Is that a 2.9 or a 2.8 though?

I spoke to Vege a couple of weeks ago out of interest and their price for a 2.9 ABV VR was £1705.56 including VAT and a 10% discount off their standard price

Yeah thats really good - does it come built with the MK4 tensioners like the VAG unit?

Blimey, that's quite a bit of a bargain! Is that a 2.9 or a 2.8 though?

2.9 - he asked whether golf or corrado and also for the engine code, said they'd done enough of them now to knock them out cheap (although as they're rebuilding i don't know how their costs can reduce over time?!)

Yeah thats really good - does it come built with the MK4 tensioners like the VAG unit?
didn't ask that steve but tbh, if its 8-10 years till you've got to worry about it again then i probably wouldn't be that bothered! and i guess they wouldn't be that much effort to change if you wanted to before you installed it anyway?

I fit alot of Vege engines at work and I havent had any problems, the engine going back in mine is a Vege that I got hold of cheap :D

The guides and tensioner are all standard Corrado stuff not mark 4, but it only takes 20 mins to swap to the newer stuff when youve got the engine on the floor.

Makes you wonder how they can knock out a rebuilt engine for £1700 inc VAT when brand new Mahle pistons are £600+VAT on their own.

Crated engines cost a fortune to ship though, but Eurospec make some icey cool stuff :D

It cost me $400 to FedEx a head over, which weighs 35Kg.

I hate to think how much a full engine would cost by air mail, but you can of course use Land/Sea mail, but it'll take up to a month to arrive, and still cost around £800.

Crated engines cost a fortune to ship though, but Eurospec make some icey cool stuff :D

It cost me $400 to FedEx a head over, which weighs 35Kg.

I hate to think how much a full engine would cost by air mail, but you can of course use Land/Sea mail, but it'll take up to a month to arrive, and still cost around £800.

The only bonus i have from working in distribution is cheapish freight! :wink:

You are right though the Eurospec stuff does look very tasty :hic: