Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

AutoGlym synthetic chamois things - crap!

Just got one of these AutoGlym synthetic drying cloths because Halfwits were having a 3 for 2 on car cleaning products. Boy, it's useless. Just moves the water around the car! Went back to my grubby old leather chamois.

One of the Aqua Dry Hi-Tech ones, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0103487961

Has anyone had any success with these things? Am I missing something?

Always heard good things about the Autoglym ones, my dad's got one, he gets on ok with it. Maybe it needs a bit of breaking in like a chamois ususlly does?

I always dampen mine before using it but it always works well. I think the instructions say you need to wash it in a mild detergent before (and between) uses? :scratch:

If its one of those huge things cut it in half first as they are flippin huge and put the other part away in a sealed bag till you wear out the other bit you are using.

Also i soak a new one in a bucket of water with a bit of what you wash your car in overnight, works a treat!

Lastly if you dont like it then go and get a meguirs water magnet now they are the tool of choice for me :norty: :notworthy: :clap: :luvlove:

Tried one a couple of years ago - great if all you want to do is strip off any wax thats already on the car - now use a Sonus affle weave towel for initial drying and a lovely thick plush drying towel for final finish - takes no more than 5 mins to do the Nugget

Tried one a couple of years ago - great if all you want to do is strip off any wax thats already on the car - now use a Sonus affle weave towel for initial drying and a lovely thick plush drying towel for final finish - takes no more than 5 mins to do the Nugget

I would disagree that it strips any wax off the car. I wash my car with autoglym stuff (and yeah it's not the best by any means), but if I have previously used SRP and EGP on the car, I'll just wash and shammy the car down this time and the water still beads off a treat so I don't see how it strips previous waxes off. It definitely doesn't strip EGP or SRP, not that either of those are a wax.

Maybe I should stop now before I get a microfibre cloth shoved down my throat :lol:

I would disagree that it strips any wax off the car. I wash my car with autoglym stuff (and yeah it's not the best by any means), but if I have previously used SRP and EGP on the car, I'll just wash and shammy the car down this time and the water still beads off a treat so I don't see how it strips previous waxes off. It definitely doesn't strip EGP or SRP, not that either of those are a wax.

Maybe I should stop now before I get a microfibre cloth shoved down my throat :lol:

Have to agree with Andy if you are using wax like Dodo juice/zymol or the stuff he uses it does indeed take a lot off but as you say the auto glym SRP & EGP are ok as indeed they are not wax but more silicon based :?

Really would recomend the meg's water magnet too though! :D

I've had an AutoQuim chamois for years and it's great!

Keep trying mate... hopefully you'll end up getting on with it.

I'm actually being thoroughly converted to Megs stuff at the moment, however.

having just got a claybar kit, some microfibre towels and the gold class shampoo and some foam applicators... I really have to say that I'm nothing but impressed with the quality of the whole lot.

Still use SRP and EGP for the mo, as it still seems to work well, but i'm sure I could convert to megs for all that aswel!

I've yet to try a water magnet.. but might give one a while someday!

Can't go wrong with an Aquatouch drying towel, short pile on one side, long pile on the other and big enought to do a Corrado with ease

Can't go wrong with an Aquatouch drying towel, short pile on one side, long pile on the other and big enought to do a Corrado with ease

indeed i got a yellow one. deep on one side and shallow pile on tother!

The Autoglym chamois does take a while to soften up and start working properly. They're all i've ever used now for the last 4 years or so for drying my car and i'd say the first couple of washes it tends to (as you say) just push the water around - they start working better after that! :)

Got one of those Megs towels a while back and all it seems to do is shove water around and get damp...

Promptly went out and bought a really good quality Chamois, 5 mins to dry car and by dry I really means dry, not slightly damp and let evaporation do the rest.

If treated right they are fine on paint and won't scratch/ remove wax... just stick in a bucket of Warm water before you start washing and by time you're ready to dry it'll be lovely and soft and absorbant!

sonus der wunder drying towel i find is the best, i have about 5 different types in the garage and thats the best.

they come in a twin pack tho, so i found a chap on forum who wanted one and went halfs up on a pack then i posted him the other towel. You don't need two imo

i use the Miracle Dryer - Ultra Plush from cleanyourcar.co.uk

the towel is massive and drys the car really well and being ultra plush does not add the swirls

better tham any chamois just whilest wet spray a small amount of quick detailer on the wet surface your drying and away you go

megs towels tend to go hard after a few washes so mine gets used for alloys

i wanted to get the sonus de wunder towels but did not have any so i tried the miracle dryer and stuck with it

I find patting dry with a couple of good quality waffle weave microfibre towles far better than any chamois (and I'ver owned loads).