Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

The Audi Sport.......Cleaned up and looking Good!

Right, well Chuffed to bits as finally have one of these Uber Rare 80's Rally Reps! Basically same 1800 motor as Golf GTI but way cooler :lol:

Got it from a chap down in Lincolnshire, Picked it up and drove it home on sunday!!

It is a very original car! 73,000 miles in Zermatt Silver, Has all the correct stickers, even the window stickers! Pity the dealer plates are gone :( Does have a bill of sale from 1986 (part ex'd after 3 years) for £5995 :eek: Still has the original M21 Melbourne stereo fitted and it works too! Not used to having to retune it as driving along though :D:rolleyes: It's in very good order, has a couple of small rust spots and is just starting to go under the screen (Must sort that out ASAP) but overall is solid as a rock! 12 months MOT too! Sorted! Has some wheels and interior that I haven't seen before, am lead to believe from the previous owner that as this is one of the 1st Sports then the seats and interior only ran for 1 year!

Anyway....some pics after I drove it home!

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Anyone seen these before???

IMG_0435.jpg

White audi rings????

IMG_0434.jpg

Interior Out for a good clean! A neighbour of mine is a car valeter and lent me some super dooper interior car detergent......worked a treat and it has come up very nice, just a pity about the sun turning the black seats purple :( Lovely brown dash aswell very 80's

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Original radio and VDO Gauges

IMG_0429.jpg

Sports Seats?

IMG_0441.jpg

Low miles.....

IMG_0442.jpg

Gave it a damn good clean and put it back together, the drivers seat has semi collapsed on the back rest but know a good upholsterer who can sort that:

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

The engine bay is very clean! Motor runs very sweet and goes fairly quickly too! Has a very odd sump though.....Anyone shed any light, Dunt look standard and wondered if it was an original dealer performance part???

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Finally some pics with my 1.6CL! Is it just me or is the sport very different at the rear??? Did they use different shells or is it just 'cos the sport is 3 years older???

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Well thats it for now! Interior is sorted, just gotta give it a damn good wash, claybar, polish and wax, sort the bumpers and I'll post up some more pics :D

What you guys think???

they weren't all that rare back in the day tbh,they weren't rally reps or anything like that just basically a sporting 80 with that new fangled injection gubbins :lol:

the reason behind the body difference is purely down to the CL being the slightly facelifted 80 prior to the new 80 coming out in 86/87

still a good find all the same :clap:

I thought they were Rally Reps as you had the Awesome Group B UR Quattro and in Group A they rallied the 80 Saloon abeit in Quattro form....

the sport had an alloy finned sump as standard, just a shame they don't fit the transverse engined Golfs/Corrados :)

I think it's used instead of the separate mk1/beetle style oil cooler or the mk2 golf onwards heat exchanger

from what I recall they have better ratio boxes than the Golf GTI too.

check out wiki

" In 1983 the 80 Sport was introduced in the UK, based on the GTE. It came with quattro-style Ronal alloys, rubber rear spoiler, deep chin spoiler, striped charcoal Recaro interior, and optional body graphics including full-length Audi Sport stripes"

also explains about the body difference too btw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_80#Au ... 80.9386.29

I remember when they were first out and them being a grown-up saloon alternative to the GTI

same sort of sump as fitted to the VW-van/Audi 100 engined Porsche 924

btw those wheels were also fitted to the early non-quattro Coupes

Are these front or rear wheel drive? What engines can you swap into them easily? :wink:

Very cool alternative to an original Mk1 GTI, love the 80's ness of it.

Are these front or rear wheel drive? What engines can you swap into them easily? :wink:

FWD and a 5cyl 20v would go in nicely.

what a great find! brings back memories as i had two of these... one basic red 80 CL (with the same 70's donkey brown interior dash trim) and one bronze sport the same as yours. is that a familiar looking crack in the sunken section of the dash above the glovebox too?!?!

the wheels a re new one on me as i had steelies on the 80 and Ronals on the Sport. great car and good fun at the time - my 80 was the 1.8 and a real sleeper at the lights (not that i condone that sort of thing of course :roll: )

they have a ridiculously deep boot iirc - which will fit two very pissed student mates who need a ride from the Metro in Cardiff back to Newport and can't afford a taxi :lol:

two thumbs up :thumbleft: :thumb right:

Looks good :-) I notice that the master cylinder for the brakes is on the passenger side as per MK1 Golf leading to poor break performance in the R/H driver versions due to play in the bar that connects the pedal to the master cylinder, just out of interest do you notice that the brakes are not quite what they should be?

Old man had one as a co car... Y plate IIRC... remember the "ronals" but not that interior, sure seats were deeper, and more "tweedy" cloth...

Nice car even so mate, good find!

nice car :D

my old man had a brand new one when they came out but i remember it having recaro seats and ronal wheels in silver too nice to see one again :)

I picked up an audi 90 1989 G plate with a 10v 5 cylinder 2.3 engine as a run around whilst doing other work to the C. Surprising how well they go round corners considering all the weight in front of the front wheels. Audi were sneaky though and put the fuel tank vertical behind the rear seats and therefore in front of the rear wheels. Did manage to get it to understeer eventually by being an idiot on an island. When it let go it let go proper big time with lots of tyre squeal. :lol:

Only cost £475 body work is good but the engines done 212,000 but seems fine. Came with 12 months MOT and 6 months TAX and is excellent for ferrying the kids around and getting to work. I won't see another 90 on the road they are rarer than Corrado G60's!

Interior is an Audi 80 sport half leather, which is nice. :)

Sorry for the hyjack Steve. :)

Right finally got it cleaned up!

Clay bar'd, Waxed with Megs Gold Class, Autogylm'd the bumpers up etc and tire blacked it! It's come up really well! There was some horrible crap on the paint, but thankfully the clay bar took that off and has left the paint like glass!

Pics:

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Just gotta get the Cambelt changed and then it's ready for daily driving :)

awesome matey, ive had quite a few of these and would love another, mucher prefer them to the facelift series 2. Noticed in one of your pics the decals on the boot are starting to peel. drop me a pm as ive got a few sets of originals i can supply.

Lovely car. very jealous...lol

Gav

I'm loving that. Old, simple, retro and a bit different. Only enthusiasts will 'get' that car. I particularly enjoy the decals 8)