Sign in to follow this  
Jim

1,500 miles in a new Scirocco....

So my little secret that I'd organised a few weeks prior to the ring trip was the loan of a new Scirocco from VW's press office. The basis was to write a feature for the CCGB Sprinter magazine. They kindly agreed and I subsequently (on Thursday morning last week) took delivery of a shiny new Scirocco in Rising Blue, fitted out with plenty of factory options and that excellent 2.0 T-FSI engine.

The car has been absolutely excellent and I'm really looking forward to writing about it and telling you all about the car and the trip - but I only just fell out of bed after a tiring few days. Will put some thoughts down when I get back - and some pictures of which we took many!

Luck git, I love the T-FSI mate, just wind it up rather than slamming the pedal down, responds much better if its like my a4 lump

Very slick Jim. :norty: .

I look forward to your review...but I shall be comparing it to 5th Gears Scirocco feature next week. :lol:

I gave the car a very lack lustered meh after taking it out for an afternoon, so looking forward to what you think of it after having it for a couple of days

I gave the car a very lack lustered meh after taking it out for an afternoon,

Sorry, but what's a lacklustre meh?

You didn't like it then?

Well done Jim, really good idea, and attracted a huge amount of attention wherever we went. Went very well on the Autobahn too. :)

And how many of those where on a very famous streatch of road in Germany???

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw you pulling off the circuit :cuckoo: and couldn't resist a few pics of the relief / drained look on your face. :lol:

Following you in the convoy on Sunday with it 'ring stickered up was a scream :notworthy:

[super]

Hehe, the Ring was fun and as Yan will tell you, we weren't hanging around either!!

The engine and torque band of the 2.0 TSI was superb and made it effortless to drive, just made the trip and the mileage so much easier and having the comfort levels of a modern car plus a/c and satnav etc...

Was suprised we only just caught you guys up in Holland yesterday as altho we stopped for fuel and food before we got on the A1, we were munching the miles fairly quickly so you lot must have been convoying at a good pace!

Anyways, hope everyone got back safely, trip was great and just a shame it's all over now!

PS - The Scirocco is being picked up by VW shortly but I don't think Jim wants to give it back...

Steve

[/Charged]

My question about the Scirocco for you is :

- Did you manage to get a spare day to pull the suspension off and see if those exotic 3-way electronically controlled dampers will fit onto a 14 year old Corrado? What a nice mod that would be...

Welcome back Jim :)

Jim,

I work for a leasing company and have just gone for a spin in a Scirocco, also in Rinsing Blue, so im interested in your thoughts.

First of all I think it looks much better in the flesh and many of colleagues agreed. As for driving it, the engine is an absolute peach, pulling well in every gear with almost no lag, makes a good noise too. I've recent driven an Astra VXR, Volvo C30 T-5 and Civic Type-R and lthough im probably bias ;-) Id take a Scirocco everytime. Very impressed.

I got a pic of it so ill post it up shortly.

Cheers

Pete

I gave the car a very lack lustered meh after taking it out for an afternoon,

Sorry, but what's a lacklustre meh?

You didn't like it then?

Walesy put it down well after I posted here : -

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69908&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

A jack of all trades but master of none

It didn't excite and wasn't practical, I love the look just couldn't figure out who the car is aimed at.

It didn't excite and wasn't practical

Eh? We took it 1,500 miles and it effortlessly swallowed up camping gear and clothing for two people for 5 days, not to mention some duty free and other bits and pieces. It was perfectly happy in all traffic conditions, and fine off road at the camp site - and deftly took us round the ring at the same pace as a VR Corrado. It is a bloody superb car.

Pics to follow - lots of cameras to suck data off :)

I'm at a disadvantage as i've never driven anything really to compare to the new Scirocco - my angle really was going to be what it was like compared to a Corrado.

You're right about the engine mate - it's truely excellent. We returned nearly 38MPG on the drive home and that was at a fairly constant 80MPH both in Europe and back here in England, including having to divert around seemingly endless roadworks and accidents on the M25 (at 10:30pm ffs). Yet it was fantastic on a run with easy access to lots of torque for overtaking or catching up in the event of lagging behind in a convoy, and even better on the Ring - coming out of a corner, you could just plop it into the powerband and absolutely scream out and each gear change just seemed to drop you straight back into peak torque so you rode this endless wave of performance. Highlighted on an unrestricted section of Autobahn where we all decided to wind it up a bit and I ended up blasting away from dinkus in his VR.

I genuinely have very few complaints about the car. There are some obvious cost saving measures in certain places with things like flimsy trim. Rear visibility is dreadful thanks to the rear headrests and low swooping roofline - they should have made the parking sensors a standard feature! Also experienced really annoying wind noise from the drivers door above anything faster than 30MPH. There were also some gremlins with the Aux input feature in the multifunction head unit which got quite annoying as they happened more than once.

But on the plus side it looks fantastic and modern and different enough from a MK6 Golf that I think people will want one, as practicality is not compromised. Handling is excellent as is the performance from that 2.0 T-FSI engine, not to mention economy. I really REALLY hope the Scirocco sells well - I want there to be a few in the used car market in a few years so I can buy one ;)

Jim,

I work for a leasing company and have just gone for a spin in a Scirocco, also in Rising Blue, so im interested in your thoughts.

First of all I think it looks much better in the flesh and many of colleagues agreed. As for driving it, the engine is an absolute peach, pulling well in every gear with almost no lag, makes a good noise too. I've recent driven an Astra VXR, Volvo C30 T-5 and Civic Type-R and lthough im probably bias ;-) Id take a Scirocco everytime. Very impressed.

I got a pic of it so ill post it up shortly.

Cheers

Pete

I guess the main problem I had with practicality was the amount of room for people in the back and the size of the tailgate (I couldn't get my hockey kit in :? )

The high load height of the boot will put some people off I guess but I didn't find it that much smaller than a Corrado boot. Rear seats seemed ok? Fitted in 4 people for a short drive and lanky Yandards on the lap of the ring and I didn't get any complaints about rear leg room...

I admit I didn't try fitting a hockey kit in there though :D

i agree with you comments Jim. A few parts of the trim were a little cheap in feel, but overall a nice place to be, the seats were comfy and very supportive. Id be interested to know what they were like over a long distance.

Agree with the rear visability too, it is poor as the rear windows are tiny and the headrests seem to fill the small rear view mirror.

Our VW guy is very positive about it doing well as they have had alot of interest both in retail and fleet, especially with the gap in their range until the Mk6 GTi is launched.

Strangely the passenger seat was exceptionally comfortable and the miles just seemed to roll by when you were sat there but in the drivers seat I found myself getting a few aches. The built in back lumbar support thingy was excellent and if you had an ache right in a particular spot in your back you could wind some support into just the right place.

That said every time I drove I hopped out of the car feeling as fresh and ready to drive as I did when I set off in it - so the seats can't have been that bad.

The middle arm rest seemed to be placed in a bit of a crappy position though!