KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Got most of the design work finished now, so sending out the laser cutting files tomorrow.

The brown bit is the foam which a mate of mine will rowter/water jet cut out, the silver bit is the ally seat back, and the other little bracket is to be welded onto the mechanism to provide mounting points. I may add some more structure to the seat back hidden under the foam once It's been made and I've got a feel for it.

The shape of the headreast mimics the rear bench headrests.

I've got rid of both the seat reclining and tilting remote mechanisms as they just complicated things and I think it will operate better without either.

For the reclining mechanism all I need to do is attach the adjustment knob onto the end of the suare bar running through the mechanism (same as Mk3 etc), and for the tilt mechanism I'm going to weld a foot lever straight onto the hook.

In both cases the 'feel'of the mechanisms will be much more direct and less effort involved which is always a good thing.climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfseat assembly.jpg[/attachment:8c26e37z]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP310309_23.49.JPG[/attachment:8c26e37z]seat assembly 2.jpg[/attachment:8c26e37z]

have you finished the caliper brackets yet?

Picking up the new material for them on Friday, so i'll be doing them next week...

Great work KIP, looking forward to seeing more :D

Cheers mate :) , done a bit more...........

Really pleased with how the seat back has turned out, I've still got to get all the foam to cover it with, but I'm having trouble finding the right stuff. I want to use a closed cell foam, rather like what you use for roll mats, but 50mm thick. All the bolsters will be this thick except for the bit actually against your back which will have curvature in it so it fits my back perfectly. The seat sits a little too high at the moment, I may have to lower it a couple of inches which is no big deal.

At last I collect the 7075-T6 ally material I ordered from Smiths metal supplies (great service) for the caliper carriers and have roughed out the shape on the saw at work. I've got some tooling on order, so when it arrives I'll finish them off. Doing it this way is so much cheaper than buying the Seat ones, and they are lighter (less unsuspended weight which so important for damper response etc) and just as strong. But ok so the Seat ones are hardly heavy anyway :D

As far as the car goes, I've had all the lighting loom wire increased to a thicker guage, and the relays taken out of the engine bay to reside near where the ABS relays are behind the glovebox, at long last 99% of the loom is now complete, jon's been very patient with me asking him to change things every now and again :D . I've got all the TT functions like the fuel pump priming upon opening the door etc, he's done a very neat and thorough job I'm really pleased with. It should look totally OEM. hopefully i'll get more done over the easter BH but I'm not holding my breath.........

Ahh still going slowly i'm afraid, it's all out of my hands a bit though, been getting on with a few other bits that needed doing. Bolted all the suspension up, discovered a couple of small patches of rust up in the turrets, so the engine's coming out this week (needed to anyway to fit the loom properly and fit the braided brake lines easily) and while it's out I'm either going to roll the car over on hoops outside (alternative to a spit) if it's going to be sunny, or if not I'm going to have to do it all on the two poster. I'm going to get right up into the arches and check all the underside of the car for any rust and clean the whole lot whilst I'm under there.

Put a deposit down on a new car Yesterday!! 2003 Black 330i touring sport with full leather, picking it up next Saturday, it's nice and quick and compared to Helens Mk3 Gti so much less crashy over bumps, given that it's on 18" alloys is quite a feat. Unfortunately I'm still having to drive around in the Arosa 1.0 :( until the Corrado is finished (she gets the Beemer). Even so I'm not sure how much longer i'll be able to justify keeping the Corrado, I've managed to blag a year of to Helen using the 'I've spent all these hours building it the least you can do is let me drive it for a while' arguement. But she's very kind and would never actually tell me to sell it if I didn't want to :lol:

Either way, I don't think there is one bit of running gear, braking gear, or engine gear that isn't new or as new left on the car now, once the underside is cleaned up and the interior back in it's going to be driven for the summer to iron out any development issues and get the chassis set up properly and then into the paintshop over the winter for a bare metal flanks respray (not the roof). Then show season for next year i'm hoping. I was being tempted into turbos and 4wd, but having thought about it long and hard and discussed it with a few mates it's staying fwd and NA, just with a few internal upgrades :norty: At the end of the day, I haven't got the heart to rip up the floor of my Storm :luvlove:

Did these bits last week, rear calipers to match the fronts, still need a bit of cleaning up after the powdercoating, and i've got new seal kits to put on. Seat all welded up, off to the trimmers now for foaming and leather. :D

Loving this thread, just read all of it 8)

Top work on the seats :notworthy: can't wait to see the finished article

I love and hate at the same time how easy you make things look.

Any chance of you making some caliper carriers to fit my Seat Ibiza Brembo's onto a TT? Please

Loving this thread, just read all of it 8)

Top work on the seats :notworthy: can't wait to see the finished article

Cheers mate! Came across a big show stopper on the seats though! £750+VAT to trim them! so I'm going to do all the foam work myself as i'm being quite fussy as to just how I want them trimmed and this should cut the cost down quite a bit.

I love and hate at the same time how easy you make things look.

Any chance of you making some caliper carriers to fit my Seat Ibiza Brembo's onto a TT? Please

Hey the photos don't tell the whole story!! I can help you out with the carriers mate by all means, but you'd need to give me all the dimensions. Hole centres etc.

Brill thanks for the offer of help.

I have no idea what you need though so tell me exactly what info and i will try to find out. Any ideas on cost for the help, a few beers? :notworthy:

Hey no worries it's no big deal. Things I need to know are:- (you will probably want to take the hub/upright off the car to do this)

1.the distance between mounting centres on the brake caliper,

2.the distance from the centre of the mounting holes to the split line on the caliper,

3.the distance from the carrier mounting face on the hub to the inside disc face (new disc)

4.disc thickness

5.the distance between the carrier mounting centres on the hub,

6.and finally the difficult one, I need to know how far out to place the caliper, so scribe a line between the carrier mounting holes on the hub, and then place the caliper on the disc so that the mounting face is parallel to the line you have scribed. Then measure the distance. To temporarily mount the caliper to get measurements you can gaffa tape it on around the circumference- remember to shim it down the disc groove on the caliper to line the edge of the pad to the edge of the disc (1mm inside it). If you can't do this then PM me and i'll talk you through doing it another way that is accurate but long winded.... :D

Rears finished, two seal kits for £25 pounds +vat, powdercoating for a fiver.....and an evenings light work. :D

Brembo brackets will be finished tomorrow.......

Everything your doing is pretty spectacular. Good work.

Can I ask what material your using for your caliper carriers. Assuming aluminium, what grade? I'm probably going to get some machined up for mounting my Porsche calipers.

Thanks

Alex

Thanks mate :D , you can use either 2014 (copper alloyed) or 7075-T6 (zinc alloyed), I prefer 7075 for it's good fatigue resistant properties, the downside is it isn't so good with corrosion but neither are great. However both are very similar and if they are hard anodized it really doesn't matter which you use. If in doubt use steel :D

If in doubt use steel :D

Yep, that was always my back-up!

Think I'll go for the 7075-T6 you suggest. I don't know much about aluminium grades, but this is a good starting point for a bit of reading.

With the cost of the material and machining cost (i'm hoping to get a good deal through a supplier) it may be cheaper to just buy the seat Ibiza carriers as I think these will work out for my Porsche calipers. Will get some quotes.

Thanks very much.

Alex

As Kip says 7075 is a good alloy, we anodise a lot of it as it is used extensively in the aircraft industry. One of the downsides with it, I am told, is that it is not weldable.

Ian

As Kip says 7075 is a good alloy, we anodise a lot of it as it is used extensively in the aircraft industry. One of the downsides with it, I am told, is that it is not weldable.

Ian

spot on, you can't weld it, and 2014 cracks easily when you weld it.

Got Helen's new car today!! really nice drive. 8) Going to take the tints out which is a pain in the ass.

Also finished my brackets! Off for hard anodizing now.

Almost right, it's a 53 plate 330i sport, don't see the point in the diesel unless your doing big mileages to cover the extra outlays.

Almost right, it's a 53 plate 330i sport, don't see the point in the diesel unless your doing big mileages to cover the extra outlays.

Quite right, thats my opinion. So glad i got rif of my tractor golf.

I have found out all i need is a set of Leon carriers to mount mine, what are you making?

I'm 99% sure they are the same as leon carriers, but never had a pair of leon brembo's or carriers to confirm it, but I'm sure the calipers are identical. The reason I have made them is because Seat ones are £100 each new, or £100 pair used, but it's cost me just £40 in materials to make my own!