KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

I might have to drag you down here one day Tom! :D Maybe do the paintwork here?

No worries mate, if you want a hand before the VR is done, I'll scamper over in the valver, most of the parts are in similar places so we should be able to work it all out.

I love this thread, much respect for the amount of work you are putting in, can't wait to see the finished result :notworthy:

P.S I got the lambdas through this morning, thanks again!

I'm REALLY bored of cleaning now though!!! still painting the underside tomorrow weather permitting, then it's bolt on time :dance:

Glad you got the lambda's ok mate :thumb right:

Awesome work, so glad you've still got enthusiasim for it after all this time! I think I would have gotten fed up with it now, so all credit to you! :salute:
Ha ha, seems ages ago I handed over the old heart but no the enthusiasm for the conversion hasn't stopped yet! Did you find out if it was ok, I never really checked it out properly, I was just looking for any excuse to go 24V :D

I might have to drag you down here one day Tom! :D Maybe do the paintwork here?

No worries mate, if you want a hand before the VR is done, I'll scamper over in the valver, most of the parts are in similar places so we should be able to work it all out.

Nice one cheers mate!!

Ok, at long last the cleaning and spraying of the underside is finished, every little tiny mark of rust or damaged underseal has been treated and resealed. I've painted a little more blue on the car than there was originally there, just because it gives a smoother finish which the dirt seems to have a harder time sticking to (like in the wheel arches) I'm chuffed with the results. I had to put the car on the lift to enable me to take the rear beam off and front subframe to get to the mounting points. I've oversprayed the blue just so it still looks factory (ish) underneath. Now it's time to start bolting all the goodies back on, starting with the brake lines and fuel tank. Not a good start I know, but can anyone confirm that the fuel lines are the right way round in the clips, I think they are right but I've managed to somehow loose the diagram I made. :bonk:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Flippin heck it looks amazing :notworthy: am a bit jealous if i'm honest Chris :lol:

Well done.

So will you try and keep ontop of it once a year or something,as it's obviuosly going to pick up grime again unless u trailer it everywhere.

:)

What sort of sealer did you use?

If you want the factory rippley pitted finish, U-Pol Gravi Guard is excellent for that. You can also get some VAG Wurth stuff which is also pretty good. If you're not fussed about the ripple finish, then U-Pol 'Greystripe' Seam sealer is probably the closest you'll get to the original rubbery texture, but it's brush on. It can be 'dimpled' when half set though.

Once the underseal is sealed with top coat and laquer, I would recommend a further 2 layers of black Gravi Guard for a neat, robust finish and I would strongly recommend doing the underside of the sills aswell where the paint gets abraded away by water and gravel.

Avoid the temptation to apply it too thick because it will take eons to fully harden and if you jack the car up, it will just pull great chunks of your nice new sealant off :lol:

Great work as ever Kip :notworthy: I wish I had the facilities to do that!

Looking amazing..

Agree with puting more paint on a few areas and especialy up in the arches. As Kev says, few coats of laquer helps the road dirt fall away on cleaning.

So wish I could strip my bottom to give it as good a clean as that. I'm still making do with working around pipes and heat shields.

If you want the factory rippley pitted finish, U-Pol Gravi Guard is excellent for that. You can also get some VAG Wurth stuff which is also pretty good. If you're not fussed about the ripple finish, then U-Pol 'Greystripe' Seam sealer is probably the closest you'll get to the original rubbery texture, but it's brush on. It can be 'dimpled' when half set though.

Once the underseal is sealed with top coat and laquer, I would recommend a further 2 layers of black Gravi Guard for a neat, robust finish and I would strongly recommend doing the underside of the sills aswell where the paint gets abraded away by water and gravel.

Avoid the temptation to apply it too thick because it will take eons to fully harden and if you jack the car up, it will just pull great chunks of your nice new sealant off :lol:

Cheers Kev

Thats dedication for you.

Indeed. Kip's car will still be shiney and rust free when the rest of us are six feet under....

:shock: That is an amazing job- would love to be able to have a go at this on mine 8) Good work, mate!

How's the little 'un? Getting any sleep yet?

Looking good; I so wish I had one of those to sort out my underseal :notworthy:

I think you me and Kev need to invest in one of these!

Your dad got room in his workshop? :nuts:

Great work by the way Kip, loving these threads....

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Upol Greystripe, followed by VAG Spray on Stone chip (which is escentially diluted seam sealer), then Cellulose Mystic blue (bonds to the cellulose stonechip) then lacquer. Sometimes I missed out the seam sealer if that's what VW had done.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Flippin heck it looks amazing :notworthy: am a bit jealous if i'm honest Chris :lol:

That sir is a compliment coming from the captain of concours himself! :D You need not worry though Kip, it's going to be all muddy again soon!

Well done.

So will you try and keep ontop of it once a year or something,as it's obviuosly going to pick up grime again unless u trailer it everywhere.

:)

The only time my car will ever see a trailer is if it's broken down! It's only clean because you can't spray it properly if it's dirty :D

Hey I don't even have a driveway! But I do have a mate (Jon) who's got the workshop/garage which obviously helps, it's all his equipment I'm using not mine :( . My Dad doesn't let me do my cars in his garage any more, sixteen years was long enough apparently, tight git! I've built myself a small workshop to keep all my tools in though but there is no car access.

Looking amazing..

Agree with puting more paint on a few areas and especialy up in the arches. As Kev says, few coats of laquer helps the road dirt fall away on cleaning.

So wish I could strip my bottom to give it as good a clean as that. I'm still making do with working around pipes and heat shields.

You could using a very large trolley jack and jacking up one side really high, you can get one side a good metre off the ground which is enough to be able to sit on the ground and liberally soak everything in engine degreaser and then jetwash it off, that gets you 80% of the way there. Obviously you'd have to make sure it's all safe!

DELICIOUS CAKE!

Makes me realise how far mine is off the pace. :(

Lets have a race!!! last one to finish has to eat a badger shit sandwich!!

Ditto Toad!

Speechless on the pictures mate. Excellent work.

Cheers Jon, much better pics to come though, ALL THE SHINY BITS!!!!!

Yeah and I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to keep the car, my work contract finishes in late July and I haven't got anything else big lined up yet, my wife's already telling me to sell it (not seriously though!), she just doesn't understand my love for cars :) .

i would really love to see your car when its all done, the quality of build is mind blowing, no stone unturned and all that!Thank you :thumb right: buddy, I'll take it to a couple of show and shine's this year so a few peeps can see it, the pics do make it all look a bit better than in real life though.

I just figured why not, the equipment was there, I've got six weeks off, so I went for it!!

Indeed. Kip's car will still be shiney and rust free when the rest of us are six feet under....

Fair play to VW or Karmann though, there was nothing more than surface rust on a 14-15 year old well used car, that's prettey good going.

:shock: That is an amazing job- would love to be able to have a go at this on mine 8) Good work, mate! Cheers fella!

How's the little 'un? Getting any sleep yet?

:lol: :lol: Ollie's 2 and a bit now, talks more than his mother (quite a feat), and wakes up at five at the moment :roll: . My better half Helen's pregnant again, little girl due in September :D . Ollie's also obsessed with cars and I've just finished teaching him all the Italian car manufacturers, he can't quite get his tongue round Maserati though!IMAG0047.jpg[/attachment:26rus232]

Looking good; I so wish I had one of those to sort out my underseal :notworthy:

I think you me and Kev need to invest in one of these!

Your dad got room in his workshop? :nuts:

Great work by the way Kip, loving these threads....

Cheers fella! You could do it for £120 each from Frost, that's not bad at all. I've asked Jon if he would loan his out but he's not keen on it.

Messed up the quotes somehow :roll:

Cheers fella! You could do it for £120 each from Frost, that's not bad at all. I've asked Jon if he would loan his out but he's not keen on it.

is that for the spin a ma jig? you got a link?

Bolted the fuel tank up today, also made some 10mm stub axle spacers to push the rear wheels out to match the fronts (spaced to clear the brembos). So I just got some 6082T6 ally plate, cut it to 85x80mm square, then clamped them on one side and spotted through, drilled four holes and that's it! Gonna have to get them anodized though.....

Impressive stuff going on here KipVR, I am in awe of the craftsmanship involved, great thread and great results, carry on the good work :notworthy: :notworthy: