KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Impressive stuff going on here KipVR, I am in awe of the craftsmanship involved, great thread and great results, carry on the good work :notworthy: :notworthy:

Hey I've seen your car too Bruny, looks just as impressive if you ask me! Nice to see it original too.

very clean,top work mate :)

Thanks Timmy, I'm really enjoying putting it back together all clean, hopefully I'll have both sets of brakes, lines, and ABS unit on tomorrow....but I've got to get my Arosa through the MOT and finish restoring a friends 323 so may not have time......

That really is incredibly nice work. I really admire this project, really stands out for me. :)

You'll be coming down to se it soon though Tom eh! I'll probably have a box of 'bits with no home yet' for you to help me with :D

Bolted the fuel tank up today, also made some 10mm stub axle spacers to push the rear wheels out to match the fronts (spaced to clear the brembos). So I just got some 6082T6 ally plate, cut it to 85x80mm square, then clamped them on one side and spotted through, drilled four holes and that's it! Gonna have to get them anodized though.....

I run stub axel spacers on mine, make sure you check the spacers clear the abs sensor on the back of the stub axel, i had to trim mine down to the right shape for them to clear.

I'll have a look at that tomorrow, cheers Zak. :thumb right:

Brembos through the wheels looking nice 8)

those brakes look absolutely magical pal - they sit sooooo nicely behind those wheels; really subtle - you wouldn't know anything about them unless you know your stuff about cars - PERFECT! 8)

not as much a fan of your tyres looking at them there though pal - are those NANKANGs?!! - cheapskate! :lol:

Nang bl00dy kangs you cheeky git :lol: . There falken 452's, ok so they are midrange tyres but extremely well reviewed.

those brakes look absolutely magical pal
brakes look right at home behind the wheels 8)

Bit sad really but I have to keep having a look at them, glad I did them silver now, I think red wouldn't have looked right on the car at all for the image I'm after.

Spent all day just making up the brake lines, it took much longer than I expected it to take :( I was hoping to finish them all and leave them on the car but I had to take them home and I've just finished putting the fittings on, fiddly little job that.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMAG0096.jpg[/attachment:jb5hj66n]

Also put the tank on earlier, freshened up the straps and put stainless bolts in, just waiting for some stainless jubilee clips to arrive and then I can cross that job off the list......

IMAG0089.jpg[/attachment:jb5hj66n]

Also waiting for some new stub axles so I can put the 280 rear brakes on. I'm away on monday for 3 weeks so I'm trying to get as much done before I go.....

are ya flexi in the whole car?

looks nice mate i feel for just how mutch time goes in to cleaning all the parts up etc, ya dont think about it untill ya do it ya sen or just how many bolts ya have to get if ya swap out every rusty one.

what did ya do with all the bolts for the subframes etc i cant find them in stainless, some i have and some i cant did ya get vw ones coated or just put them in as is? seen ya had some bits re coated, i bought loads a new vw ones (not cheap) im just wondering if i shud get them re coated before i put them in or just never get the car wet :? i mite be getting a clean car disorder :)

like the carriers and seats did ya make them all ya sen?

top work!

are ya flexi in the whole car?

looks nice mate i feel for just how mutch time goes in to cleaning all the parts up etc, ya dont think about it untill ya do it ya sen or just how many bolts ya have to get if ya swap out every rusty one.

what did ya do with all the bolts for the subframes etc i cant find them in stainless, some i have and some i cant did ya get vw ones coated or just put them in as is? seen ya had some bits re coated, i bought loads a new vw ones (not cheap) im just wondering if i shud get them re coated before i put them in or just never get the car wet :? i mite be getting a clean car disorder :)

like the carriers and seats did ya make them all ya sen?

top work!

Yes flexying the whole car, much cleaner routes with less unions etc. You can't replace all the bolts with stainless just the ones that aren't under any stress. The 10.9 and 12.9 bolts used for the suspension should be replaced like for like which is what I've done, cost me a fair bit from VW...

Glad you like the bits pal, the carriers I did all myself, the seat backs were laser cut and folded by a company called welland in Southampton from the laser cutting files I sent them, and then welded up by a good pal of mine who welds ally very well. Other than that, all the rest is my work, must finish them though, they've been forgotten for a while until I have a bit more time to finish them...

Small update again, gearbox has received some love, the recon place I took the gearbox to just before I started the conversion just slapped paint all over it really badly, so I got is shot blast having made sure all the openings were well sealed! Then I sprayed the alloy bits silver and the end cap black.

Gearbox looks brill Kip, will be interesting to see if the painted finish lasts longer than blast and coat with WD40?? I was in two minds which to go for, I should think it doesnt get too hot for the paint, and perhaps takes less looking after to maintain the finish :shrug:

Yes flexying the whole car, much cleaner routes with less unions etc.

I'm sure I read somewhere braided lines on the whole car is not DOT legal. I considered doing the same with teflon braided on mine and was not it would fail the MOT.

Hope not though as it's a great idea!

Yeah ^ I wondered about that too...

Bolts - as above stainless is not strong enough for suspension etc but the VW bolts have that green coating that lasts fairly well so just buy new ones... I was thinking though if I ever go this far with a car I might paint or wax-enamle all of the bolts under the car after they've been replaced and torque'd up just to keep the salt off them.

Gearbox looks brill Kip, will be interesting to see if the painted finish lasts longer than blast and coat with WD40?? I was in two minds which to go for, I should think it doesnt get too hot for the paint, and perhaps takes less looking after to maintain the finish :shrug:

Yeah I wasn't sure either, but went for a very light coat of paint in the end, half the reason i bothered to blast it is because both Jon and I were concerned about its cooling rate with all the paint the recon guys put on it. I figured the oiling method would just make dirt stick to it, although i do intend to make an underguard at some point.

I'm sure I read somewhere braided lines on the whole car is not DOT legal. I considered doing the same with teflon braided on mine and was not it would fail the MOT.

Hope not though as it's a great idea!

Don't tell me that now!!! Oh god I hope not, I do have a friendly MOT man though... :D

Yeah ^ I wondered about that too...

Bolts - as above stainless is not strong enough for suspension etc but the VW bolts have that green coating that lasts fairly well so just buy new ones... I was thinking though if I ever go this far with a car I might paint or wax-enamle all of the bolts under the car after they've been replaced and torque'd up just to keep the salt off them.

Yeah that olive green coating is good isn't it! A small layer of wax wouldn't hurt I suppose. Where I had an oil leak from my sump gasket oil had streaked down the underside of the car, all the bits that were covered were better off for it.

Right, I've been back up to see the car for the first time in six weeks and it's certainly nice to be back on track with it.

I run stub axel spacers on mine, make sure you check the spacers clear the abs sensor on the back of the stub axel, i had to trim mine down to the right shape for them to clear.

So today I just started off with finishing off the rear spacers, I milled out a clearance gap for the ABS sensors as Zak pointed out I'd have to do, cheers Pal!

Also bolted on the rear 280mm disc brake conversion, decided that the .5mm between the button head bolts and the back of the disc wasn't enough clearance, so tomorrow I'm going to do something about that, probably tap the stub axle to M12 and drill out the caliper bracket to 12.2 and bolt through from the other direction.

Also been finishing putting all the brake lines on and spraying up the exhaust hangers. Better pics tomorrow

May I ask where you get the stuff you need for doing the brake lines they way you have done them?

What parts and where to get them from ?

(as I'v been thinking of this myselfe, but wasn't sure if it was possible, I have to do all my brake lines anyway....)

looking good there pal as usual.

is that you back from the states now then? - if so, how did it all go???

will hopefully be down your neck of the woods either this coming weekend or the weekend after, so i'll defo pop in and tip my hat if you're going to be about...

(also there's a evo driving ticket with your name on it! :D)

May I ask where you get the stuff you need for doing the brake lines they way you have done them?

What parts and where to get them from ?

(as I'v been thinking of this myselfe, but wasn't sure if it was possible, I have to do all my brake lines anyway....)

I got all the parts through work, but you can get them all from most motorsport places. Merlin Motorsport maybe?

looking good there pal as usual.

is that you back from the states now then? - if so, how did it all go???

will hopefully be down your neck of the woods either this coming weekend or the weekend after, so i'll defo pop in and tip my hat if you're going to be about...

(also there's a evo driving ticket with your name on it! :D)

Cheers pete, I'd love to have a drive in your motor mate, I'll actually be rolling an Evo 6 on a rotisserie and doing the same under chassis treatment that i did to mine (only on a much bigger scale) starting on Thursday, since my contract with Steam Car has now finished I'm doing a bit of work for Jon until I find a new design contract, a couple of things are in the pipeline.

I had to come back early as helen's going to drop next month, but it seems all has gone really well this week, runs well above the current record, the BBC are out there this week so you might hear something on the news. :D

A friend of mine ran a full braided system on his brakes, and he said it made the pedal spongey.

I suppose you will have to suck it and see :)