Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

better brakes without going bigger???

i want to increase the stopping power of the VR with some new brakes, but cant really afford to go for larger ones yet, can anyone recommend some decent disks and pads that will make a noticable difference from the stock ones..

Pretty sure you can find 288mm brakes from a late golf for peanuts. Add goodridge hoses and you are laughing!

Should have change from £150 for that little lot and the increase in pad size is where you'll benefit...

to notice a real difference you will need more surface area, so larger discs are the way to go, but better discs and pads will improve things a little. to help give a better feel braided hoses and some dot 5.1 fluid would be a good idea, cheap and easy to do. as for discs try to stay away from drilled as they will squeak a lot if used for daily driving, grooved are alright but personally I would stick with brembo solid discs. as for pads I can recommend mintex extreme.

Sorry I have to say that my std discs and uprated pads are better than the BD discs and uprated pads that I used to have. The BD dscs just eat your pads away. Better to have some nice aggressive pads and std discs that you can replace cheaply IMO.

I would personally avoid all grooved/drilled discs as they eat away at the pads quicker and give less surface area for braking. There is an arguement about brake fade, but when was the last time you got serious brake fade? For me, I've only ever got it on the 'Ring, where I warped my discs anyway!

Wasn't just me that had a bad warping habit then :lol:

280s, 288s, 312s....warp factor 5'd them all!

I must drive too fast :D

I would personally avoid all grooved/drilled discs as they eat away at the pads quicker and give less surface area for braking. There is an arguement about brake fade, but when was the last time you got serious brake fade? For me, I've only ever got it on the 'Ring, where I warped my discs anyway!

Sorry chap, my 312s used to fade frequently..... one common scenario was coming off a particular slip road at 100mph, which was downhill. A big work out for any brakes! But the 312s couldn't hack it all. Not many brakes resist fade on that particular road. But I hate to say it, I can barrel down that road at 130mph with AP racings and they just do not fade at all......ever. Had them on for nearly 3 years now, second set of pads, with grooved discs :D

But as I say, I think I just drive too hard.....

Sorry chap, my 312s used to fade frequently..... one common scenario was coming off a particular slip road at 100mph, which was downhill. A big work out for any brakes! But the 312s couldn't hack it all. Not many brakes resist fade on that particular road. But I hate to say it, I can barrel down that road at 130mph with AP racings and they just do not fade at all......ever. Had them on for nearly 3 years now, second set of pads, with grooved discs :D

That is a different matter especially if you are running AP calipers. They are probably the best brakes you can buy! I dont really think it is a fair comparison to a std brake upgrade LOL

OK, I stand corrected then....guess I'm not as much of a loon as you are! But i find fade is much less noticable than on my old disAstra Gsi at any rate.