Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

Red or Smoked rear lights?

Hello everyone.

I have been slowly modding my new rado over the past 2 months. I have been thinking of tinting my rear light as the next mod.

I'm not sure whether to go for all red or smoked on top and red on bottom.

Wondering what everyones thoughts are and if anyone has got pics of both to help make the decision?

Thanks for the help.

all red ftw....I'm doing mine red soon

have you looked in the knowledge base for tips?

im a big fan of all red tails, they look really good and suit the c well, smoked ones look good too tho on the right coloured car..but my opinion is if you go for the smoked on top then dont do it yourself, buy an aftermarket set, not too hard to get hold of and they tend to look much better, unless the lights you smoke are completely clear to begin with..but thats just my opinion..

all reds however dont exist out of any factory as far as im aware, but it is possible to do them yourself and make them look good, but then you have the issues with indicator colour being red but there are ways round this too..(has been covered millions of times, if you do go this route have a look through the search)

just done mine i used 1200 grit wet n dry a tin of tint a tin of glass frosting spray and a tin of lacquer o and some masking tape. first i lightly rubbed them down all over( if you want to spend a bit more time doing it you can rub all the e marks of and give it a nice smooth finish) then masked the bottom of and lightly spray the top with a few layers till nice and even once dry i removed the masking tape and sprayed the hole lot with the frosting spray to give it a nice consitaint finish ( it my look a bit pants at this point but worry the lacquer finishes nicly) so once the frosting spray has dryed start with the lacquer in thin layers till its nice and smooth and shiney. sorry if its a bit long winded but hope it helps. also it not that hard just takes time. also you will need some orange bulbs.

I did mine and decided to leave some strips on the indicators as of the below pic. I then gave the lights about 7 coats, then took the strips off and gave them another 2-3.

I had uprated bulbs to go in but tbh doing it this way you dont need them and they still look all red.

9653614340233_0_ALB.jpg

I did mine and decided to leave some strips on the indicators as of the below pic. I then gave the lights about 7 coats, then took the strips off and gave them another 2-3.

I had uprated bulbs to go in but tbh doing it this way you dont need them and they still look all red.

9653614340233_0_ALB.jpg

this is one of the ways round i was talking about, was thinking of doing this over the reverse lights too when i do mine, do the indicators actually still flash orange with standard bulbs?? wonder if it would work as well with reverse lights???

this is one of the ways round i was talking about, was thinking of doing this over the reverse lights too when i do mine, do the indicators actually still flash orange with standard bulbs?? wonder if it would work as well with reverse lights???

Yep defo still flash orange with the standard bulbs :)

Yep defo still flash orange with the standard bulbs :)

nice, i will definately be doing that then!

Well my mind is def swaying towards all red as it is a project that i would like to do myself. I have a Pearl Grey C by the way.

With regards to the big question of "will the indicators still be orange" Do you reckon it would be better to included strips less tinted (see above pics) or to upgrade to bulbs themselves?

Thanks for everythings posts on this. Has anyone got any pics of smoked ones?

Just a quick note that I think the lights look better with the reverse lights left clear. Makes them look more like modern stock lights rather than custom.

Well my mind is def swaying towards all red as it is a project that i would like to do myself. I have a Pearl Grey C by the way.

With regards to the big question of "will the indicators still be orange" Do you reckon it would be better to included strips less tinted (see above pics) or to upgrade to bulbs themselves?

Thanks for everythings posts on this. Has anyone got any pics of smoked ones?

i used to have all reds on my old Pearl Grey Valver..it looks awesome..do it!

it depends what bulbs you upgrade too, as said before, this has been discussed many times but you can tint lights red and upgrade to LED bulbs and they will flash orange, only then you need to fit resistors as they flash twice the speed..or you can use coloured bulbs (i think green or blue, never really saw a definitive answer to this) and they should flash orange, but personally i would do the above with less tinted strips and take Leonards word for it..

Just a quick note that I think the lights look better with the reverse lights left clear. Makes them look more like modern stock lights rather than custom.

i still cant make my mind up about this!!! i reckon all red looks better, but with clear reverse lights its far more practical as you can actually see when reversing at night!! oh the dilemma! :)

9653614340233_0_ALB.jpg

Got any finished photos?

Im going to redo the ones I have soon and was thinkinh of the same. Where did you get the pinstripe masking tape from?

Got any finished photos?

Im going to redo the ones I have soon and was thinkinh of the same. Where did you get the pinstripe masking tape from?

No sorry should have some pics next week.

Got the tape off ebay for a couple of quid. Handy for other stuff as well!

Here's my white rado with DIY half-tinted rear lights, I think they look ace ;-)

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01056-1.jpg

and here with FK smoked rears

DSC00649.jpg

Going to try and turn these bottom ones into proper crystal top-tints with black tinting spray.

Thanks for the photo. It looks real nice with smoked. Where did you get the spray from. It seems as if smoked finish seems to be more of a rarity.

I bought the Foliatec tinting spray from a local car accessory shop but you can also find it on eBay. The key is good preparation if you are doing it DIY. There are a couple of very good DIY tinting guides available. I also bought these recently below, which were FK crystals done with red tint spray.

Tip.. The Laminex covers do have a real "16vgolf" smoked look to them as well...

Why I'm going for this on my Pearl Ghey (Cheers Struan!)

I bought the Foliatec tinting spray from a local car accessory shop but you can also find it on eBay. The key is good preparation if you are doing it DIY. There are a couple of very good DIY tinting guides available. I also bought these recently below, which were FK crystals done with red tint spray.

you got them!! really wanted those, they look like they have a really nice finish!!